The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My life, my death, my choice > Comments

My life, my death, my choice : Comments

By Bill Alcock, published 11/5/2007

Indefinitely awaiting the blessing of death to release us from our despair ...

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Congratulations Bill, More rational people should speak up on the issue instead of leaving the high ground to the Right to life fanatics.Essentially it is a decision for the individual to make and you are correct when you said the Northern Territory had it right.
The rights of the terminally ill was introduced into the N.T. Parliament by the Chief Minister of the Day, Marshall Perron who had witnessed a loved one linger.
The law was vetoed by Federal Parliament through a bill introduced by Right to Life promoter Kevin Andrews.
Nevertheless, Philip Nietzke is still championing individual's rights to die with dignity and the growth of 'EXIT' and civil disobedience might hopefully see a return to common sense and individual rights.
Posted by maracas, Friday, 11 May 2007 9:50:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm so with you Bill. My lovely 99 year old aunt has just had a leg amputated and is now totally bed-ridden and miserable, she wishes she had died under anaesthetic. I have an inoperable brain tumour and feel I have the right to voluntary euthanasia to avoid what will be an agonizing death when the time comes. How dare any politicians deny us this choice, just because they fear the votes of the religious right, driven by idiocy and superstition. Why should a humane death be denied to the rest of us by those who want to impose their cruel and silly beliefs on everyone else ? I just hope those people die in lingering pain and that they have to watch their relatives go through this as well, all in the name of the "God of Love". Maybe then, when they experience at first hand the real outcome of their rigid beliefs, things will begin to change.
Posted by kang, Friday, 11 May 2007 9:53:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hear, hear Bill. I don't see how a government that champions individual choice can deny us this fundamental right. Have a google for professor Drion speech in 2001. It is the clearest rationale for the right to choose.
Posted by gusi, Friday, 11 May 2007 10:53:45 AM
We are kinder to animals than we are to ourselves. Don't let poor old Shep suffer, but Aunty Maud must bite the bullet and hang on until pain and despair finally take her out, no matter how long that may be.

There are many people in our society whom I dislike and despise. Up near the very top of the list are the Right to Life maniacs who seem intent on preventing other people from dying in peace and dignity.

I would pay the price of a Grand Final ticket to watch these po-faced creeps suffer the sort of lousy death they want the rest of us to bear to uphold their weird idea of 'right'.
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 11 May 2007 10:58:20 AM
The right to lifers beliefs are based in superstition and fear.

Instead of handing the responsibility to the Christian God,
the pro choice lobby are taking responsibility themselves.

We baby boomers are beginning to 'come through' if you like, and
we will not take the Government's present law lying down. You can bet on it!!

Lesley
Posted by lesley, Friday, 11 May 2007 11:19:08 AM
Lesley, that is one glimmer of hope - the baby boomer influence. I certainly hope it will make a difference, though by the time they reach that stage in life, they may not still be voting...

Good article.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Friday, 11 May 2007 12:00:52 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy