The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My life, my death, my choice > Comments

My life, my death, my choice : Comments

By Bill Alcock, published 11/5/2007

Indefinitely awaiting the blessing of death to release us from our despair ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Go Lesley! I hope that this fight is won before I get old and frail and bcome reliant on my distant and uncaring nephews and nieces.
Posted by billie, Sunday, 13 May 2007 7:46:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
May the hippies of the 60s, who are now the golden oldies, rise
yet once again to change the laws by people power!

Yippee, go for it!
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 13 May 2007 8:16:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The most difficult issue surrounding this debate is who is to decide when you should die. Now at present my view is very strongly that I do not want to suffer needlessly. When I am terminally ill and have no quality of life then I would be ready to kill myself. The problem is that by then I may be incapable. Thus if I am not to suffer someone else must do it for me. Who? And how do they decide? These are difficult ethical questions; and like most ethical questions have no clear answers. Perhaps the secret is to kill oneself on the last day that one is able to do so.

In a slight digression may I also observe that one of the pleasures of OLO is to find oneself in full agreement on one topic with a correspondent with whom one has had major differences of opinion with on another topic; and of course vice-versa. dickie, I agree fully with your comments here. runner, please be aware that although I may favour assisted suicide or, under some yet to be determined conditions, euthanasia I am very much opposed to abortion which I consider to be the murder of someone with their entire useful and enjoyable life in front of them. I am sure many other people make this distinction.
Posted by Reynard, Monday, 14 May 2007 1:51:08 PM
It is quite unbelievable reading all the posts here on this issue. There is such overwhelming support for legislation on this issue it is strange we do not have one.

Again, read up on the experience in the Netherlands. And also read up on the excellent legislation that the NT had in place. The safeguards are well thought out. Even when a person asks and is deemed 'suitable' this does not automatically mean that a person will make use of this.

It is not a simple case of 'signing on the dotted line' and then that's it. It is not a surgical procedure.

As for Christians. There are Christians who have wrestled with this in the Netherlands. Some philosophies will be absolutely opposed and it remains up to the individual to know whether or not euthanasia is ever an option. In the Netherlands there are Christians who have answered when euthasasia is acceptable using their interpretation of the scriptures.

Having said that, like abortion, it is never an option that has to be taken.

I know of persons who have taken their own life in terrible circumstances, all alone. It has left loved ones devastated.

Modern medicine has a double edged sword. We would never want to go back to being victim to illnesses to which we are helpless victims. Quality of life is extended considerably, but that also means that the end journey can be unreasonably protracted, undignified and painful.
Posted by yvonne, Monday, 14 May 2007 7:33:51 PM
Excellent article Bill. I too am pleasantly surprised by the total agreement of its readers. Perhaps collectively something can be achieved by pressing for a referendum...
Posted by arcticdog, Wednesday, 16 May 2007 2:09:36 PM
Well argued and persuasive. If we baby boomers leave behind the primacy of the individuals rights over the state, then our time here has been well spent.
Posted by Netab, Monday, 21 May 2007 8:52:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy