The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > My life, my death, my choice > Comments

My life, my death, my choice : Comments

By Bill Alcock, published 11/5/2007

Indefinitely awaiting the blessing of death to release us from our despair ...

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
I remember having a conversation with my mother about this when my dear pop was dying in agony.It was unfair, painful and not what he wanted. People need to realise that its not a scene from Bold and the Beautiful - im sure it will be regulated somehow if made legal, but everyone has different choices. Why doesnt our government listen?
Posted by Carley, Saturday, 12 May 2007 8:34:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I do wonder why religions oppose this when they promise "paradise" after we die."

RobbyH, if you dig around deep in the bowels of Catholic philosophy,
they will tell you that its quite noble to suffer. Opus Dei, a
cult within the church, even use little whips to whip themselves,
all very kinky lol. But thats the crux of it.

If you took notice when the NT tried to legalise euthanasia,
it was largely Catholic politicians who came from everywhere to
can it. The influence of the Catholic spin machine has its
tentacles mixed up in the political process, far more then most
would know or think.
Posted by Yabby, Saturday, 12 May 2007 8:40:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good article Bill.

Just like to add my support. Maybe we should start a campaign for Citizen Initiated Referenda, but that would be too democratic and the politicians would not have that.

CIR was one of Paulines policies and see what the system did to her. A new party has no chance of getting off the ground, no matter what their ideals and policies.

Am afraid we are stuck with what we have and i cannot see voluntary euthanasia getting the nod.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 12 May 2007 10:17:20 PM
I think an interesting flipside to looking at the right to die argument is to ask the question "Do we have a duty to live?".

If the answer is yes it would have interesting consequence for medicare and other healthcare issues.
Posted by gusi, Sunday, 13 May 2007 1:49:26 AM
Well said 'Rex'. You're right, we have to become Louder and Incessant, NOW.
They won't do anything for us because we are a) (some of us) ill,
b) middle aged to elderly, c)not wealthy or with Influence d)mostly of an age where Breaking the Law was unthinkable! Up to 100 people could hire a 'plane, fly to Mexico,and purchase their Nembutal, or anywhere else in the world where Nembutal is sold over the counter for vet, use.
Smuggling Nembutal into Australia via a shipping route. Find people who import heroin, who make 'ice' or have any contacts in this sub-terranean world (Yes, we will be reduced to that!), to teach us how to get in on the act, for Nembutal only. We have Discussed, followed the Accepted paths for public comment, Marched down the Main Street, held weekends of Shame in the nation's capital (small 'c' intended), and protested in all manner of ways, some of us have even been charged with murder and goaled, and/or Tried in a courtroom.
If enough of the 80% ?million people, in Australia follow the civil
disobedience pathway, there will be nothing they can do except put us in goal. This, of course, would not be an option for the Government.
Go to www.dwdv.org.au. Although this is a site in Victoria, they have links all over Australia and the world all about euthanasia.
And, as I type this, thousands of Grannies, Grandpas, Auntie Maude's and Uncle Charlies are languishing, intensely sad, in great discomforture, and full of grief. You all realise, of course, that this comment amounts to Sedition. I am inciting people to be Civilly Disobedient. I am 70, not in good health, but, people, somehow
I DON'T GIVE A DAMN!!
Lesley
Posted by lesley, Sunday, 13 May 2007 5:13:31 PM
Maybe some of the so-called Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs would be prepared to apply their alleged expertise to making nembutal available to those in need. This could be a very embarrassing situation for the Federal and various State governments to see us older, basically conventional Australians turning to "Outlaws" for the help which is refused by those who are supposed to be democratically acting on our behalf.

After all, these "Outlaws" have older family members and friends too who may be literally crying out for a peaceful end to their lives. And none of us know when we may require nembutal for ourselves, do we?

I would imagine that OLO is monitored for sedition and it wouldn't be hard for my identity to be figured out. Well, I don't give a damn, I would be happy to go on TV and openly say the same thing. At least I'm honest, which is more than can be said for many of the religious extremist politicians which Australia is unfortunately burdened with.
Posted by Rex, Sunday, 13 May 2007 7:06:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy