The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Learning from Kylie: dance on tables in gold hot pants! > Comments

Learning from Kylie: dance on tables in gold hot pants! : Comments

By Natasha Cica, published 20/5/2005

Natasha Cica argues we can learn from Kylie's illness and learn to love life more.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I agree with Natasha on this. While I'm certainly no huge Kylie fan, I'm somewhat bemused at the media circus that her very public diagnosis of breast cancer is attracting. It would be good if this could be turned around to benefit the many thousands of hoi polloi women (and men) who suffer from breast cancer, or simply provide a focal point for reflection on the fragility of life, fame, fortune or whatever.

But PLEASE - DON'T play her awful music really loud...

Pretty please...

I'll pay money...
Posted by garra, Saturday, 21 May 2005 8:04:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Great article Natasha.

With you on the music Garra.

Hope the media circus doesn't overtake the issue.

Must admit to have suddenly taken to examining my breasts - timely reminder for us all. Men can get breast cancer too.

Hope I don't get it... I should be so lucky.. so lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.
Posted by Xena, Saturday, 21 May 2005 9:12:26 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Having lost a mother to the same thing, its a relief that they seem to have found it early.

Some points.

1/ If you live by the media, its a bit strange to complain when they follow you at other areas of your life than just the ones you would choose for the furtherance of your career.

2/ Natasha's article sounds reminiscent of "If not ...(left out)...Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die"... I wonder who said that ?

Did I miss something in the article ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 21 May 2005 3:03:27 PM
Well said Natasha,
"It’s a timely reminder of how fragile, and ultimately useless, all the status, fame, career milestones, megabucks and other trophies on the mantelpiece can prove to be. When you’ve got cancer or any other life-threatening illness, what you need is the people who really know you to be right there. To hold your hand while you’re throwing up after treatment, and buy you groovy scarves when your hair falls out, and promise to look after those you love most the same way you do, when you’re gone. If it comes to that."

And something more, to develop a relationship with God through Jesus Christ to add meaning and purpose to life, the forgiveness of all that really useless euphemeral stuff and to know peace with God. Now there's something worthwhile
Posted by David Palmer, Saturday, 21 May 2005 9:16:35 PM
Flippant and cliched. A celebrity is crook so we should all get drunk and fondle a fairy in gold hot pants? Good advice and a testament to the value of tertiary education.

Here's some more good advice: Always wear clean undies. Apart from the likelihood of being run over by a truck, we wouldn't wish to embarrass ourselves if we got down to some serious lovin' with the fairy. Skidmarks and living in the moment don't mix.
Posted by bozzie, Monday, 23 May 2005 12:29:26 AM
thanks bozzie, I was wondering how to address the very weirdly angled last paragraph of this mostly worthwhile article. How does living for the moment (in her reckoning, is to live in excess - oooh, INXS, there's an opportune nexus) translate to the message of responsiblity and proper sense of proportion addressed at the start. Perhaps she was writing two articles at once and inadvertently put the end of one onto the other.

Very odd note to end the article on indeed, and yet, the paper paid good money for it. Go figure
Posted by Rose C, Monday, 23 May 2005 11:48:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy