The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The economic significance of independent schools to the Queensland economy > Comments

The economic significance of independent schools to the Queensland economy : Comments

By David Robertson, published 15/3/2016

Independent school students are reducing the financial burden on governments, and therefore taxpayers, by about $804 million in recurrent funds annually.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I have nothing against independent schools, but the money spent on them if spent on something else would make the same contribution to the Queensland economy. It’s not as if the few billion dollars spent by parents and taxpayers would just sit in the bank if it did not go to independent schools. It would be spent on holidays, hospitals, roads or any of another million possibilities.
Posted by Chris C, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 8:45:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
My understanding is that combined Federal-govt funding and State-govt funding of private schools is, on a per capita basis, about 90% of combined govt funding of public schools.

Private schools have a lot more facilities and a lot more intermediate managers and ancillary staff; many on six-figure remuneration packages.

Yes, the private school sector is an industry in itself.
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 9:04:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Really with the pathetic failure of the State system with its teaching to 11 year old girls and boys on anal sex all schools should become independent. Bound to increase the health budget. The fruit of the secular system is rotten fruit by and large with a few exceptions. Pour more money into the system that works. Don't hold your breath, just like in Indigeneous affairs there are to many milking the cow. Why is it that the more money spent on the public system the worse the results. Gonski! What a joke.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 9:50:34 AM
I also have no beef with private schools and even less they way they manage and account for their funding.

That said, I mostly agree with the first two commentaries.

If we had the good common sense to fully roll out Gonski, those in need would be the ones we fund with public money and on a needs basis!

Rather than political influence, the old school tie and all that?

I say old chap, Tally ho, Jolly good show, what?

And hail mary and halleluyah, massively over represented in the nation's boardrooms, political organisations etc.

Our charity, must be reserve for the needy, not the greedy.

And while a few recalcitrant millionaires may claim they pay tax and are therefore entitled too? I wonder how much real truth is in that?

Given the wealthy can and do dodge tax, via super, family trusts offshoring and a whole range of strategies, like sending the same parcel of money circulating through several subsidiaries, to create false or patently fraudulent impressions. or escape tax liability?

And not made more palatable by the wounded bull's belligerent bellowing, rhetorical rectal retorts, or downright disingenuous denials?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 9:53:02 AM
One of the great con-jobs in Australian politics is calling these heavily subsidised businesses "independent".
Posted by Asclepius, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 10:55:15 AM
Tax money to independent schools is in general a government subsidy to religious indoctrination. Parents have a right to indoctrinate their children and segregate them from the general population. I object to such use of my taxes.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 15 March 2016 11:26:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy