The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's time for a new strategy > Comments

It's time for a new strategy : Comments

By Alon Ben-Meir, published 10/6/2015

I do not believe, however, that the resumption of bilateral Israeli-Palestinian negotiations with US mediation alone will succeed any more than the two previous efforts.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
By the way, AC, your great grandfather was General.. who? There was only one commanding officer - as there always is - and he was a general officer. As far as I know, there was no Australian lighthorseman in charge of, or responsible for the debacle, in Gallipoli. A lot of bulldust follows wars, especially those 100 years old, with no compos participants around. We are used to bulldust on this site.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 5:27:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I understand the desperation, Alon, but all the possible talking has already been futile - now it's time for doing, not talking.

One thing that Obama could initiate is a UN/security-council resolution to hand over the occupied territories to Saudi Arabia, immediately. It should allow the Saudis to send armed forces there ASAP under a UN mandate and set dates for the Israeli army to withdraw. It will also call on Saudi-Arabia to protect from each other both the Palestinians and the Jewish settlers within their major enclaves. This resolution should also repeal all sanctions against Israel once it withdraws and re-assert its right to exist and defend itself.

Nobody would veto such a decision.

Netanyahu may not be too happy, but Israel would have to accept the decision because it has too many common interests with Saudi-Arabia and cannot afford to make the whole world their enemies, remaining completely alone, especially now when Daesh is at the gates. Netanyahu will just have to be content with the fact that the settlers are safe.

Saudi-Arabia will accept it because it grants them control over the holy sites in Jerusalem as well as gives them an opportunity to lead the Arab world and prevent Islamic radicalisation so close to its own borders.

The result will be an immediate peace and alliance between Israel and those major Arab countries which really matter. They should all work together against the terrible threat of both Daesh and Iran.

Yes, time for a new strategy!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 6:39:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How about the U.S. Remove its military support to Israel, then remove all unilateral political support in the U.S. congress, let's see how long Israel lasts.

Recent support by the U.S., Saudi Arabia and the UK for ISIL/ISIS/Daech is blatantly obvious, unfortunately for Israel, the tail will wag the dog, their creation will come back to haunt them all.

The likes of George Soros and others undermining any solution in the ME just goes to show what a joke the UN has become.

Russia is fighting the U.S. Hegemony In the Ukraine, thanks to a false flag government coup, Assad is both a target and ally, Saudi is stirring the pot with US consent and support in Yemen, Palestinians (Arabs) in Gaza are just cannon fodder to genocide.

Simple, remove Israel from its global meddling and most of these problems evaporate.

A majority of the problems in the ME relate to growing power of the Russian, Chinese, BRIC countries scaring the be-Jesus out of the U.S. And Israel. Too bad, the world is shifting and Israel will begin to reap what it sews,
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 10:23:52 PM
Armchair Critic,

What, no General Armchair Critic, or are you still working on inventing a suitable ancestor?
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 11 June 2015 9:56:33 AM
ttbn,
"The UN shouldn't intervene in anything, A.C. The UN has meddled quite enough in sovereign affairs. The UN is a dangerous and disgraceful organization playing at world government. It is corrupt, and is manipulated by despots and the undemocratic."

You'll get no arguments from me there, but personally I'm sick and tired of this Israel / Palestine endless bs that has gone on my whole entire life.

How much of OUR lives have been wasted sitting through all the news stories, all the endless conflicts there etc.
It would add up to days and weeks of my life wasted just having to listen to it.
I'm sick and tired of this Israel / Palestine stalemate and the stupid political games and the corporate media lies and propaganda.

To say there is no Western Imperialism isnt exactly true.
In a military sense what do you think NATO is?
Just watch this years Putin speech at Valdai and you'll hear him say NATO countries need to have one of their senior government staff approved by the US. (eg. secretary of state)
What do you think all these other wars are?
Do you not think the US puts its own puppet rulers in after it takes these nations down?

- But I was talking more about global hegemony though when I said Western Imperialism.

As for my Great Grandfather,
- I prefer my anonymity on this site so I'm not going to give identifying information on my family.
If you want to think I'm full of it then go right ahead.

But for the record, He wasn't a General, He was a Major in the 1st Australian Light Horse Regiment.
I don't even think we had Generals on the battlefield whilst serving under the British.
I haven't seen his war record personally, but I've seen him listed on the Australian War Memorial website.
My mum has his war record and she told me he was promoted to CO on the battlefield after his CO was shot.
Don't believe me if you don't want to.

And nice post Geoff from Perth.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 11 June 2015 10:27:59 AM
ttbn,
After speaking with my mum, I found out that he was actually a Lieutenant Colonel, even though the Australian War Memorial website states his rank as Major. My mum pronounced it as "leftenant" though and said he was a Major at one time.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 11 June 2015 11:54:13 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy