The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Marijuana's time has come > Comments

Marijuana's time has come : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 7/4/2014

The ancient Egyptians used medical cannabis extensively four thousand years ago, and the diuretic, antiemetic, antiepileptic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic effects of cannabis were well known in medieval medicine.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
IMHO, The sale of Marijuana should remain illegal as the price is not too bad and besides making it legal will give the anti-smoking and drinking nazis even more oxygen to want to re-ban it and the government, wanting to look after our our health, taking control of this racquet wanting to index its excise every so often to make an even higher profit(TAX) and sending the price sky rocketting!!
Posted by Kilmouski, Monday, 7 April 2014 8:35:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Let's legalise all drugs with the proviso that it will be actually illegal to claim any money for any harm suffered by the taker of the drug. Of course I would expect insurance not to cover you whilst drug affected and of course no legal defence allowed that you were drug affected.
Same rules for alcohol of course.
The early death of drug takers would be a big tick for the rest of us.
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 7 April 2014 9:10:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have no axe to grind on the marijuana issue (as in, tried it a couple of times, not impressed), but I do find this particular argument-from-history a little naive.

"In the early 20th century, before it was banned, numerous tonics and tinctures containing cannabis extract were available."

In the nineteenth century, "medicinal" use of opium, morphine, laudanum etc. was also widespread. I would suggest that relying upon its historical use as one pillar of the justification for legalization of marijuana is entirely self-defeating.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 7 April 2014 10:13:10 AM
The war on drugs is essentially a war on drug users, as the number of cannabis users in US gaols illustrate. It is high time to regard drugs as primarily a health issue rather than in terms of law and order. We need drug law reform.
Posted by Asclepius, Monday, 7 April 2014 10:31:07 AM
Anything goes so long as you don't try to tell us that drugs are good.

Drugs are drugs are drugs and they are all bad, but I don't want to keep paying:

1) for police to hunt those bad people.
2) for courts to judge those bad people.
3) for prisons to lock, guard and feed those bad people.

I rather have those bad people feed their habit cheaply than having to obtain it by breaking into homes and businesses of good people.

I rather have the police force be available to protect real, ordinary good people rather than spend their time serving the government's prestigious interests in operations to catch drug users and dealers.

This applies to all drugs - I totally agree with JBowyer.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 7 April 2014 10:33:37 AM
I believe that most recreational drugs ought to be decriminalized, with addicts treated as medical patients, with medical problems, rather than criminals, who cost us around or over $70,000.00 per, each, just to incarcerate!
If we believed in equality before the law, as a real outcome, then we would lock up most alcoholics/tobacco users as well!?
Just this amount of change would empty out two thirds of our prisons!
And treating mental health with medical intervention/treatment, more than half of those who would then remain?
However, I wouldn't include hydroponic hemp, which has dangerously high drug levels! That almost always result in this or that psychosis!?
And given we legalize far less potent Marijuana, for personal use only, and limited to half a dozen pot plants?
We should include industrial hemp, for similar completely pragmatic reasons!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Monday, 7 April 2014 11:30:19 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy