The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > God particle sheds no light on God but lots on Wally > Comments

God particle sheds no light on God but lots on Wally : Comments

By Steven Meyer, published 10/7/2012

So everyone now knows about the Higgs boson and what it means, but what about its political ramifications?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Just to annoy the fundies I would point out that the use of "The God Particle" as a name for the Higgs Boson is a corruption of the particles initial nickname.
It was known as "The God-damned Particle" probably on the basis that it was an annoying aspect of The Model.
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 9:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for a wonderful article Steven, I was very entertained by it.

I have heard of some other phenomena, yet to be properly described: H.E.A.D. accumulations and antimatter wormholes:
A High Energy AGW Denier (or HEAD) accumulation, which I think should be named after our friend and long time OLO author, Mr Cox, making it a Cox-HEAD accumulation. These accumulations are very dense and are everywhere in normal space and cyberspace.

The antimatter wormhole, or A-hole, is a wormhole that contains anti-matter (obviously). Some have speculated that these A-holes may be the source of anti-populationism, anti-humanism and anti-capitalism. It has been hypothesised that they cannot exist for long periods in normal space. But occasionally they pop into existence and wreak havoc.

Now, when Cox-HEADs meet A-holes the result is annihilation in a high-temperature flash of gas and plasma, which then rapidly disappears, leaving nothing behind of relevance to normal space.

Now if the OPERA team can figure out how to harness the power of these reactions, we could be running on emission-free power for many years to come.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 10:35:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I am wondering is when the fools are going to open their eyes and stop wasting their money and energy on trying to disprove the obvious (Creation which equals Creator). Despite billions the best the deniers can come up with is the big bang (an impossibilty by scientific standards) and fish becoming land animals. Only the very gullible and deceitful could swallow such fantasy. The fundie ahteist are surely desperate.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:06:45 AM
Deary me, runner,

You've pulled out the book again.

F - is for "fools".

G - is for "gullible".

D - is for "deceitful".

(runner's "Book of Vile Epithets and Intolerance")
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:13:53 AM
LOL Bugsy,

I shall remember Cox-HEAD accumulators!

And if anyone can harness HEAD A-hole collisions it's the OPERA team.

Foyle,

You're right it was called the god-damned particle.

Oh well I hope this piece provides some entertainment and a few chuckles.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:40:07 AM
I was slightly disappointed – from the title I thought you were going to take three pages to work towards the second best CERN joke. As in: "Now that the world's physicists have found the Higgs boson they're turning their attention to the great unanswered question of where's Wally."

The best? Because it appeals to my inner geek: "A Higgs boson walks into a bar. The bartender says, 'Why the long wait?'"
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 12:12:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy