The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > God particle sheds no light on God but lots on Wally > Comments

God particle sheds no light on God but lots on Wally : Comments

By Steven Meyer, published 10/7/2012

So everyone now knows about the Higgs boson and what it means, but what about its political ramifications?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Just to annoy the fundies I would point out that the use of "The God Particle" as a name for the Higgs Boson is a corruption of the particles initial nickname.
It was known as "The God-damned Particle" probably on the basis that it was an annoying aspect of The Model.
Posted by Foyle, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 9:55:29 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you for a wonderful article Steven, I was very entertained by it.

I have heard of some other phenomena, yet to be properly described: H.E.A.D. accumulations and antimatter wormholes:
A High Energy AGW Denier (or HEAD) accumulation, which I think should be named after our friend and long time OLO author, Mr Cox, making it a Cox-HEAD accumulation. These accumulations are very dense and are everywhere in normal space and cyberspace.

The antimatter wormhole, or A-hole, is a wormhole that contains anti-matter (obviously). Some have speculated that these A-holes may be the source of anti-populationism, anti-humanism and anti-capitalism. It has been hypothesised that they cannot exist for long periods in normal space. But occasionally they pop into existence and wreak havoc.

Now, when Cox-HEADs meet A-holes the result is annihilation in a high-temperature flash of gas and plasma, which then rapidly disappears, leaving nothing behind of relevance to normal space.

Now if the OPERA team can figure out how to harness the power of these reactions, we could be running on emission-free power for many years to come.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 10:35:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What I am wondering is when the fools are going to open their eyes and stop wasting their money and energy on trying to disprove the obvious (Creation which equals Creator). Despite billions the best the deniers can come up with is the big bang (an impossibilty by scientific standards) and fish becoming land animals. Only the very gullible and deceitful could swallow such fantasy. The fundie ahteist are surely desperate.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:06:45 AM
Deary me, runner,

You've pulled out the book again.

F - is for "fools".

G - is for "gullible".

D - is for "deceitful".

(runner's "Book of Vile Epithets and Intolerance")
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:13:53 AM
LOL Bugsy,

I shall remember Cox-HEAD accumulators!

And if anyone can harness HEAD A-hole collisions it's the OPERA team.

Foyle,

You're right it was called the god-damned particle.

Oh well I hope this piece provides some entertainment and a few chuckles.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 11:40:07 AM
I was slightly disappointed – from the title I thought you were going to take three pages to work towards the second best CERN joke. As in: "Now that the world's physicists have found the Higgs boson they're turning their attention to the great unanswered question of where's Wally."

The best? Because it appeals to my inner geek: "A Higgs boson walks into a bar. The bartender says, 'Why the long wait?'"
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 12:12:48 PM
What, where, when, how, why, and Who is the proposed "particle", and/or Wally over and against the entire multi-dimensional cosmic display, with all of its space-time paradoxes?
And the presumed separate observer who observes this "particle", Wally, or anything else too.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 12:53:52 PM
Hi Stephen, I struggled to make some sense of your article; I have read it several times and concluded that there is something fundamentally disturbing about it. It is, in emotional terms, quite frankly all over the place.

My first concern was the trivialization of a major scientific achievement in particle physics, decades of research and hard work by some 2,000 scientists, the culmination of a lifetime of dedication to the math required to even begin this project and the shear determination to accept nothing but the proof through empirical evidence.

My second concerns emanate from your nervous and not very successful attempt at humor, the drawing of parallels between this science, politics, policies and national personalities. The list of seemingly inconsequential events and political statements that is clearly not inconsequential to you at all.

Then there is the creation of some sort of stereotype you have created in “Wally” as a label you can use to vilify others whilst hiding within your imaginary persona as a fish.

Finally you attempt to hide the real source of your angst by poking at three different political leaders? Bob Brown has actually retired now Stephen, its Christine Milne.

So what do I make of this?

I am absolutely convinced that this scientific event has terrified you, it has blown your bobby socks off, it is a huge threat to your ideological equilibrium and you are in a state of abject confusion.

Why might that be? It is so because these scientists have just demonstrated what real scientific endeavor is all about. I suspect you have never viewed science from the perspective of the discipline of “is it true?” backed up with the harsher discipline of “does it work?” without which there is only rhetoric.

You react as if real science has just burst into your life and you don’t know how to deal with it. So you denigrate it. Mentally you are comparing the pseudo-science with which you are familiar, with the real, robust and provable science that has just jumped up and bitten you on the bum.

Sadly, you’re not alone.
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 1:27:38 PM
spindoc,

Whaaat?

Forgive if I've overlooked some sort of satire in your post to Steven, but when you say to him:

"....My first concern was the trivialization of a major scientific achievement in particle physics, decades of research and hard work done with some 2,000 scientists, the culmination of a lifetime dedicated to the math required to even begin this project and the shear determination to accept nothing but the proof through empirical evidence."

What are we to make at your own recent attempt at trivialisation on the Higgs Bosun subject in the general section?

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5249#142191

A thread starter to boot!

"Sadly, you're not alone."

Ain't that the truth...
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 2:12:29 PM
And then there's this later in your thread:

http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=5249&page=0#142289

But I must have misread your post to Steven...surely your dressing down was in jest?
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 2:33:33 PM
Poirot, as a keen fisherman I just love a bit of Burley. You can also use tinned peas you know?

What is it we said about cult responses? Oh yes, I remember now.
“23. Members exhibit a dramatic loss of spontaneity and sense of humor”.

And yes, of course you are forgiven; you will at some stage learn the difference between humor, satire and intent. In the meantime we can put this down to a Higgs boson moment, you just lost a bit of symmetry that’s all
Posted by spindoc, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 2:41:59 PM
Ooooooh, it's supposed to be funny.

Ok then.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 3:38:18 PM
I don't believe in the Higgs boson. There's no mystical energy field that controls my density.

Cheers,

Tony
Posted by Tony Lavis, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 3:40:31 PM
Though A or is it B-mused(?), I don't doubt your claim Tony, that "There's no mystical energy field that controls my density."

However, it may be responsible for how dense some posters on OLO are.

Alternatively, you misunderstand symmetry in physics and what is referred to as 'spooky science' - think of it as 180 degrees of separation...

It could be because the Higgs boson doesn't believe in you.
Posted by WmTrevor, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 4:06:08 PM
Love the article Steven, and the comments! Well, mostly.

As one OLO'er recently said in that other place:

>> a laugh is a much better way to start the week; we seem to have been getting a little intense lately, some very talented humorists on this blog ... have a great week <<

Seems that same OLO'er is just blowing smoke, again ... it's only Tuesday.
Posted by bonmot, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 6:35:42 PM
I also was highly amused by the article, Steven; very clever, and it turns out Sherlock Holmes is a wally! I note also you were careful to be by-partisan on the politics--very diplomatic. My theory, however, is that some political persuasions are more prone to the wally field than others.
Posted by Squeers, Tuesday, 10 July 2012 7:09:29 PM
I'm glad I was able to give everyone - well, almost everyone - something to chuckle about.

Runner, lighten up.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 11 July 2012 7:15:50 AM
I enjoyed that article Steven...you might enjoy this

http://westernaustralianwarp.wordpress.com/the-warped-science-of-political-success/

Cheers

Phil
Posted by Phil Matimein, Wednesday, 11 July 2012 1:42:25 PM
Perhaps Roger Miller got it right when he sang - you cant roller skate in a buffalo (bison) herd.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 13 July 2012 6:15:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy