The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The people smugglers > Comments

The people smugglers : Comments

By Marilyn Shepherd, published 15/5/2012

The Australian government is so determined to make a point that it jails under-aged Indonesian deck hands as 'people smugglers'.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Look, no doubt some people involved with this whole sorry onshore asylum-seeking saga get treated a little more harshly than you would like…while others get off lightly.

The whole business is so complex that you can hardly be surprised by that.

The government is surely right in jailing people-smugglers or whatever you would like to call those who assist asylum seekers in getting here. We’ve made it perfectly clear that these people are held in contempt, at least from 1999.

Every Indonesian, no matter how poor and whether they be under-aged or not, would surely know that by assisting asylum seekers, they are placing themselves at strong odds with Australia authorities and risking heavy penalties.

I just don’t get it Marilyn. Surely a genuine refugee advocate such as yourself would be all in favour of stopping the dangerous onshore asylum seeker movement and operating our refugee intake entirely through our formal immigration programs, where we can select the most needy of refugees for resettlement and not be pressured to accommodate less needy people arriving on our shores.

Andrew Bolt got it right last week:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/ipad/refugees-blunder-costing-us-billions/story-fn6ck620-1226051762542
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 7:41:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ludwig, did you read or are you spraying out the same old ignorant crap.

It is not illegal to claim asylum and it is illegal to punish anyone for doing so and jailing 13 year old children in adult prisons with pedophiles and murderers is illegal even under our deluded laws.

Ludwig, read the article again and the remarks by the sentencing judges and the UNHCR.

WE are the only country that does this, surely even a moron like you can extrapolate that means it is illegal.

We waste $500,000 per person to jail these children.

What on earth is the point.

And do not quote that ignorant racist Andrew Bolt.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 2:36:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
<<There was no attempt here by the prisoners to hide from the authorities or disguise what they were doing>>

ROFL

I wonder why?

Could it possibly have anything to do with the knowledge that OZ is such soft touch.
That it is general knowledge that most will be issued with a get-out-of-jail card and a free flight home.
<<These children are all in adult prisons in breach of the law that says children should not be jailed but sent home>>

No wonder their villages want then back in a hurry ---they must be great little cash cows!

It never ceases to amaze that when IDs are needed to verify alibis for asylum seekers ---there are NO papers to be had.
However, when their smugglers (& joint venture partners) need IDs to secure a get-out-of-jail card---even the most remote and impoverished village can come up with birth certificates & what nots!

Wake up OZ, you're being had
Posted by SPQR, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 3:51:33 PM
My, it did not take long to play the card Marilyn (race), you must realise what you believe is fatuous. How about dealing a few more from the bottom of the deck, such as sexist, nazi or fascist? Such comments debase your own side; Bolt is often correct and is somewhat right. The waste is the failure of the Rudd / Julia government; it was costing nothing before and now at least one rail line extension per annum. The current shambles is entirely owned by the Left.
Posted by McCackie, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 4:35:41 PM
I love those who presume that I make up the law.

The ABC and others keep telling me I make up the law, I don't.

And they don't hide because they want to be found.

Good lord, how can people apply for refugee protection if they are hiding?

Here what Vanstone said in February 2000.

Thursday, 10 February 2000 SENATE—Legislation L&C 205

Senator McKIERNAN—I am talking particularly about the boat people. They are the
people who arrive on our shores – mainly on Ashmore Islands – and who put their hands up
and say, ‘Find me, find me!Take me in.’ They do not use these exact words, but they want to
be found. These are not people who are escaping the scrutiny of our Coast Watch people.
Senator Vanstone—Senator, I cannot resist!Perhaps you could tell Mr Beazley that so he
does not keep raving on about this silly idea that we need a Coast Guard to locate the people.
You at least realise that they want to be found; it would be helpful if your party realised that
as well.""

Oh dear, they don't hide because they want to be found.

Now the attacks on me have no bearing on the fact that we are breaking our own laws by jailing children who have committed no crime.

Why don't you people actually read
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 7:01:04 PM
And SPOR did you read anything? The only way we got their birth certificates is when
Australian lawyers went to Indonesia.
Posted by Marilyn Shepherd, Tuesday, 15 May 2012 7:04:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy