The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > So, pro-spanking parents aren’t Nazis? > Comments

So, pro-spanking parents aren’t Nazis? : Comments

By Ben-Peter Terpstra, published 13/4/2011

The evidence supports corporal punishment as a viable and valuable method of discipline.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All
Like the columnist Miranda Devine, the author of this article does not expect to be taken seriously. There is no evidence that hitting people teaches pro-social behaviour. There is no evidence that working class families hit each other more than wealthy families. There is no evidence that working class families advocate violence to manage problem behaviour. Following this article, we have more evidence that right-wing columnists advocate hitting people.
Posted by Langenstrass, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 7:54:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank God for the author. A wonderful breath of sound common sense.
Posted by ianbrum, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 8:02:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Congratulations to the writer who found the very small number of studies which support corporal punishment of children. A mountain of research published in peer-reviewed articles by dozens of public universities finds corporal punishment of children to be harmful. After all, would we be having this discussion if we were talking about hitting spouses? Employees? Neighbors, or even neighbors' dogs? No, we would condemn articles favoring such actions.

No, pro-spanking parents aren't Nazis. But, they need to know about credible research which shows hitting children to be harmful. This article does little other than to bring outlier research to print and confuse parents.
Posted by DeeNee, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 8:03:28 AM
From what I've seen on the topic there is a small correlation between high levels of corporal punishment and anti-social behaviours. Straus's finding's don't seem to suggest much more.

Some evidence that low levels of corporal punishment for younger children may be slightly beneficial and plenty of spin by both those who love smacking and those strongly opposed to it.

Like a lot of things the arguments seem to be dramatically exagerated depending on which side you take.

For the strongly anti-smacking crowd I'll believe you are serious when you start advocating adult consequences for children. Until that point it looks like spin. Should a child hood tantrum which involves others being hit result in police using tasers on the child to subdue them then a series of court appearances and possibly a lengthy jail term?

For those passionate about smacking it may be time to look at why you love it so much. It's a discipline tool, not a cherished lifestyle.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 8:21:43 AM
“There is no evidence that hitting people teaches pro-social behaviour.” -Langenstrass

Author: Yes, there is evidence that spanking works as Gunnoe demonstrated – read the piece again.

Also, read the part where the media censors and/ or hides studies. If “our” ABC is burying information then that’s not my problem. That’s their problem.

And finally, the aboriginals from one town I worked in who spanked their children were raising very sweet kids.

You’re free to raise talk-therapy children but there’s no place for parental imperialism in 2011.
Posted by BPT, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 8:58:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have children who come from a household where no one gets spanked or smacked.

It’s really a lot easier than people seem to think and doesn’t take extra time to achieve or any substitute like lecturing or alternative punishments like standing in corners or being screamed at or shamed in any way.

I support a parent’s right to parent and that might include adults making the choice to smack a child as a consequence. It’s just kind of sad when they don’t understand the alternatives.

I get countries are having problems where smacking was suddenly not an option overnight and how typically stupid to make a law without preparing people how to manage.

R0bert I reckon many parents see a law like no smacking as a threat and perhaps it is because if that one got through then what could be next. Or I hope that is what they are thinking and aren’t really so dependent on smacking that the thought of doing without it sends them into a panic.

As for smacking working or finding studies showing it does – it is never going to mean other ways of raising children do not work better and it is a dumb argument.
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 13 April 2011 9:09:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy