The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dying to talk about euthanasia > Comments

Dying to talk about euthanasia : Comments

By The Redhead, published 20/9/2010

Let’s show some courage as a community. Let's have some sensible, adult discussion on euthanasia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All
The discussion has to begin with some definitions, some examples of where VE already exists, and how it is managed, arranged and otherwise legislated.
We cannot debate without the facts of what we are debating.
Posted by Coyote, Monday, 20 September 2010 7:36:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The facts exist for the debate. The debate is not about voluntary euthanasia. The debate is about the right of government to censor such debate or a debate on any other position that a large number of Australians support.

I agree with the thrust of the article that the government exceeded its rightful authority in banning the ad.
Posted by david f, Monday, 20 September 2010 10:19:50 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree davidf. It is similar to banning of the anti-abortion website. Governments whould not be in the business of policing viewpoints which differ from their own unless the view being pushed is illegal.

There has certainly been a lot of debate on euthanasia to date and some constructive research and debate from all sides needs to be had to determine the best course of progress. We need to both respect the right of the individual to die without pain as well as ensure that there is no inherent dangers such as a reduction in palliative care and that people who are unwell feel an obligation to die.

I think the risks are low on the latter and have faith that we can come up with the right mix. There is nothing worse than watching a loved one die in pain.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 20 September 2010 10:26:06 AM
I agree with this enlightened article which, once again, cites the politically ignored fact that 85% of us believe persons with incurable diseases which cause unbearable suffering should have the right to physician assisted death. We are supposed to be a civilized society. We fall far short of that.

I do disagree with Pelican, who sees nothing worse than watching a loved one die suffering unbearable pain. But his view is quite understandable, as many fewer than 85% would would want to gift the blessing of a peaceful accompanied death to the incurable and severely mentally ill. I ask them to reconsider.

Nothing is worse than having a beloved daughter die in unbearable pain, rational and lying alone on a railway track at night, reaching final peace by completing suicide after two previous attempts. She had once said "If you helped me they'd get you for murder". She was told that didn't matter. It was of no help.

When all that is good in life is disintegrated by schizophrenia, as it is for at least 20% of those who suffer this incurable disease, surely one should have the right to end an unendurable existence in peace. This should be a human right for all of humanity.
Posted by Caroline93, Monday, 20 September 2010 11:24:09 AM
I think that there is an element in society that cannot tolerate folks being free and fearless. I wonder what the correlation is between folks that passionately support the "war on drugs" and those who oppose VE?
Both seem to involve an extreme level of "sticky beaking" and a fundamental misunderstanding of crime and the role of policing because the outcomes of prohibition are far worse than the "crime".
To me this attitude is extremely arrogant, dangerous and ignorant: What part of "mind your own business" and "stop harming society" do folks not get?
Posted by Ozandy, Monday, 20 September 2010 11:25:48 AM
Voluntary Euthanasia is really about Love and Compassion; the desire to fulfill the wishes of a terminally ill human being to end their pain and suffering in the best possible way , humanely, with the presence of loved ones, at a time and place of their choosing, without the shocking surprises of discovering a hanging corpse,a gory gunshot scene, the exhaust pipes into the closed car or a head-on collision. To quote an old friend whom I visited in his last days "You wouldn't let a bloody dog die like this"
Posted by maracas1, Monday, 20 September 2010 1:06:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy