The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dying to talk about euthanasia > Comments

Dying to talk about euthanasia : Comments

By The Redhead, published 20/9/2010

Let’s show some courage as a community. Let's have some sensible, adult discussion on euthanasia.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All
Dear Joe, (Loudmouth),

If Euthanasia becomes legal in this country
safeguards shall be put in place,
and proper procedures will have to be followed,
and regulated. Just as with abortions, or any
other medical procedures that are performed today.

Making it legal will give terminally ill
people with incurable diseases
a choice to request a peaceful and dignified
death, rather than having their lives prolonged
by artificial means. However it will be up to a
panel of medical practitioners
to decide whether the request is granted. It also
doesn't mean that those who don't want to be given this
option have to have it. It will be a matter of individual
choice.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 25 September 2010 11:26:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy,

Thank you. So 'euthanasia' means, in the first instance, suicide ? Well, that's a start to delineating boundaries.

My understanding is that there are already legal principles in place in relation to people not "having their lives prolonged
by artificial means", i.e. switching off machines, and otherwise stopping treatment - NOTE that this is NOT the same as implementing treatment which would bring about death. So the right of people not to have "their lives prolonged by artificial means" is already in place, within the acceptable bounds (well, acceptable to most of us)of what might be covered by the term 'euthanasia'.

One grey area in law may be the writing of wills asking for some assistance to die in the distant future: how distant would surely excite the attention of the courts ? How could someone re-affirm their original intentions after they have lost the physical ability to re-sign such a document - this might also put the legal possibility of euthanasia into some doubt.

Okay, what might NOT be covered by the term ? Would you rule out deliberately bringing about the death of someone whose mental state precluded them from making any rational decision, i.e. dementia and Alzheimer's patients ? The killing of anyone who could not make their intentions known in any way ?

No, it's really not so simple, Foxy .......

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 25 September 2010 1:28:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza, "This is why I insist that the debate has long since finished;
Most people clearly support the policy in principle to some extent, with their only opposition being a reasoned conservative demand that we ensure there are no loopholes for abuse or misconduct."

And I also agree. Its time to set the wheels in motion and like The King
said, this debate has long finished.

Joe. With the information form all bodies of higher thought, its ready to severed and not a moment too soon.

Thanks.

TTM.
Posted by think than move, Saturday, 25 September 2010 1:39:14 PM
TTM,

Then I hope we won't hear any more references to Alzheimer's and any more sanctimonious bullsh!t about deep concern over 'quality of life' and 'dying with dignity', etc. So:

* Yes to suicide (including, say, self-adminstered morphine pumps), yes to wills signed within a period of a year or two before the plug is pulled, yes (with qualifications) to the pulling of plugs.

* No to murder, no to the killing of old people on economic grounds, no to the killing of the demented, no to the killing of people on the grounds of 'poor quality of life' and to 'let them die with dignity', etc.

Is this the sort of thing you mean about the debate being long since finished ? Are these the sort of boundaries around euthanasia that would satisfy you ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 25 September 2010 2:03:27 PM
Dear Joe (Loudmouth),

I have two mothers with Alzheimers
(my mother and my mother-in law).
They are not suffering pain or
discomfort. I look upon "mercy
killing," as something that's done
(under medical advice) as a last resort,
and only to alleviate the person's
pain and suffering. A person who is
dying anyway. That is not the case with
Alzheimers.

I'd also like to add - that any decision
that is made should be made with the
consultation of all family members - and
hopefully with the knowledge of what the
person themselves would want done. My
two mothers have made their choices quite
clear to us in their wills.

Each case is different of course, and each
difficult decision has to be made by the
people and family members involved. I can't
speak for anyone else's situation. And I would
not dream on imposing my views on anyone else.

Anyway, I don't quite frankly see the point in
discussing this matter with you any further.
For me at least this discussion has run its
course. You're entitled to your opinion,
as I am to mine.

Australia will decide eventually whether or not
it wants legislation on this matter passed or not.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 25 September 2010 2:50:16 PM
TTM,

Then I hope we won't hear any more references to Alzheimer's and any more sanctimonious bullsh!t about deep concern over 'quality of life' and 'dying with dignity', etc. So:

* No to murder, no to the killing of old people on economic grounds, no to the killing of the demented, no to the killing of people on the grounds of 'poor quality of life' and to 'let them die with dignity', etc.

All I was doing was to try and cover all possibilities of the negatives and positives which human beings will exploit, and again, its the very sensitive nature that this all hinges on with all parties still in some instances, clarity has not been reached' the religious just for one.

I think where all big enough to put a package together that all will be happy with, and I hope sooner than later, because for some, its already too late.

All the best

TTM
Posted by think than move, Saturday, 25 September 2010 3:14:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. Page 12
  10. 13
  11. 14
  12. All