The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Live or let die - Indigenous languages

Live or let die - Indigenous languages

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. ...
  14. 16
  15. 17
  16. 18
  17. All
Dear Cumberland,

You write:

"Such languages can only be kept alive by government funding of what is ultimately a vain exercise - Canute-like thrashing at the waves.

With someone else's money of course. Take that out of the equation, and the value of the attempt somehow magically disappears."

Sure, and I'm sure you will join with me in calling for any private or otherwise school which receives any government funding to cease teaching Latin immediately.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 23 September 2022 6:24:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
foxy,

Why on earth would I want the village idiot?
Posted by shadowminister, Friday, 23 September 2022 6:36:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
SteeleRedux

Yes you're right, government funding of education cannot be justified and should be completely abolished and for that matter, the production of ideology generally.
Posted by Cumberland, Friday, 23 September 2022 9:10:18 PM
Dear Cuberland,

Rather inane way of avoiding the question. How about an answer.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Friday, 23 September 2022 10:05:33 PM
SteeleRedux

I don't accept your premises. Why should I? You yourself are arguing that they don't make sense.
Posted by Cumberland, Friday, 23 September 2022 11:07:12 PM
I'm not opposed in principle to these languages being saved.
- But what sort of expense are we talking about to save them?

How much did Perrotet want to charge taxpayers just for putting the indigenous flag up on the Sydney Harbour Bridge?
- wasn't that 25 million if I recall?

I'm not supporting a government funded black-hole or bottomless pit.

Before we embark on a 'Do I support this YES or NO question'
- How about you lay out the fine print BEFORE you seek the consensus,
Instead of attempting to gain a consensus first for a plan that has yet to be laid out.

You see if they gain the consensus first, they get a free pass for a blank cheque after they've already gained the consensus.
- That's a bureaucratic screw-job.

So what now?
- simply label anyone who has questions or concerns as racist people who's opinions don't matter, push the issue on the general public on an emotional level about indigenous rights in a way that no-one can easily disagree without being accused of racism, add a few screams of racism and burning Aussie flags at the tent embassy...
- then work through the finer details in regards to snouts in the trough business (like pirates dividing up each mans share of the treasure) once you've already gotten the thumbs up.

Smells like BS.
It's more like a carefully organised grift than an actual plan at this stage.

Show me what I'm signing up to in the fine print first before you seek my support / whilst also emotionally blackmailing me with the woke moral outrage.

What the plan, and how much does it cost to get the result you want?

Finally is it even practical to do so, it's one thing to state 'save' these languages, like you assume that people will keep using them over other languages.
I support the languages being documented as much as is possible, but I'm not sure they can actually be 'saved'.

http://phys.org/news/2022-07-brink-indigenous-languages-australiacould-schools.html
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 23 September 2022 11:24:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14