The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Stark differences in the meaning of patriotism on display

Stark differences in the meaning of patriotism on display

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Patriotism is certainly expressed differently in different countries:

Norway (17/05/2022) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0QJdANdFc

Russian (9/05/2022) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2TO_9AhvRI

And yet there are people in born in developed western countries that support Russia's actions in Ukraine. And these morons could even excuse Russia for attacking Western European Nato countries if it were to happen. I just don't understand it.
Posted by thinkabit, Saturday, 21 May 2022 9:17:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps we need to ask - "What does public support
mean in a society with no functioning political
opposition, a decimated free press, and a repressive
regime in power?"

Since Russia invaded Ukraine public opinion polls
in Russia have shown a range of support among Russians.
All dissent has been stifled. People arrested. Dissenters
forced to flee the country.

Vladimir Putin and the country's state media have
called the invasion a "special military operation."
And one that seems on the whole forcefully
accepted. "This decision has already been taken ..."

It's being publicly advertised as a "special military operation."
Not an invasion or war.

Let's not forget that:

"The USSR was a blood-stained regime
In which millions were murdered as a deadly routine
Might Is Right was their slogan of choice
Dissenting cries were not given a voice

History has written of the many disposed
The frozen infernos have now been exposed
Putin and Stalin are two of a kind
Yet some in the West to this are still blind

Putin like Stalin will take what he wants
He will kill and destroy those who fight in response
The world can't allow this rampage of terror
Not protecting Ukraine would be a huge error

First the Ukraine, then Romania
Followed by Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
Do we want the USSR re-instated
Ruling Eastern Europe unabated?

The world must unite and be fully aware
That this is a battle that we all need to share
Putin must be stopped in his tracks
Otherwise no sovereign nation can truly relax."
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 21 May 2022 11:55:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
these morons could even excuse Russia for attacking Western European Nato countries
thinkabit,
No, they wouldn't excuse Russia plus, Russia would not invade Western Europe Nato countries.
That's simply US propaganda to incite the simpledoms. There simply is no comparison between Ukraine & Western Europe.
Posted by Indyvidual, Saturday, 21 May 2022 3:57:22 PM
Hi thinkabit,
You got your holidays mixed up.

You are comparing Norway's Constitution Day of 17th May with Russia's Victory Day on 9th May.
They're not comparable holidays.

Norway Constitution Day (17th May)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_Day_(Norway)
Russia Victory Day (9th May)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Day_(9_May)

Russia's National Day is NOT Victory Day.

Russia's National Day is 'Russia Day' held on 12th June and is the day the Russian Federation was formed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia_Day

"June 12 is an important day for all people in Russia. All residents of Russia of all ages take part in a large number of solemn and festival events that are organized in this day. Moreover, every year on this day the President of Russian Kremlin gives State Awards of the Russian Federation to prominent scientists, writers, actors, etc. The main celebrations are organized on the Red Square in Moscow. The holiday ends with magnificent fireworks.

Every year Russia Day becomes a symbol of national unity, acquiring more and more patriotic features. Every Russian citizen remembers that they are responsible for the present and future of their homeland. June 12 is a holiday of freedom, peace, and harmony of all people on the basis of law and justice."

Going back to your comment:

"And yet there are people in born in developed western countries that support Russia's actions in Ukraine. And these morons could even excuse Russia for attacking Western European Nato countries if it were to happen. I just don't understand it."

I support Russia's actions in Ukraine.
(Though it's a shame so many innocent people on both sides have to suffer because of it.)
I support Russia's actions in Ukraine by default.
Default - meaning I most certainly do not support the West overthrowing countries and inserting it's own puppet rulers as it did in Ukraine in 2014.
Why did it happen?
Because prior to the Maidan the democratically elected leader of Ukraine Victor Yanukovych decided not to align with the EU and western monetary system, and instead aligned with Russia, and it was then that the West (US) moved to topple the country.

This is all the Wests fault.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 21 May 2022 7:30:32 PM
Armchair Critic: No I didn't get the holidays mixed up. I already know what they are. The point that I'm making is that these two links are to videos showcasing the days of the largest annual displays of patriotism for their respective countries out of all the days of the year.

In one (Norway)- the people voluntarily celebrate their patriotism with a massive community participation/spectator parade past of the parliament to the king's palace. And most importantly the parade is mostly composed on what their society places an extreme value on- their children (10,000s of them participate in the parade every year). It then ends with 100,000s of people joyously socializing and eating.

In the other one (Russia) - they also have a parade past their center of government and before their "king". Their parade celebrates what they consider most important: military strength (they even have nuclear missile launchers rolling down the main drag).

The difference in how they express patriotism couldn't be starker.

But having said this. Even if you want to compare the Russia national day (June 12), there is still a world of difference. Firstly- is the shear size difference. Russia's day is a mere school charity fete in comparison to Norway's (especially considering the size difference in populations). The general Russian public don't have much feeling for it.
And secondly they still typically have a large military presence. (While the military presence on Norway's day is basically limited to ceremonial guards leading the procession and playing music at the palace for the national anthem, etc.)
Posted by thinkabit, Saturday, 21 May 2022 9:03:17 PM
Yeah ok.

Well for one, 27 million Norwegians didn't die defeating Hitler but 27 million Russians did.
Norway remained neutral in WWII, so it's definitely a huge thing in Russian history that sets the two apart.

In contrast, look how much we revere ANZACs of which my ancestors were.
(And I wish they were here I might add, to discuss the global events of today with me.)
We had less than 100,000 servicemen die in both wars.
- So let that 27 million Russian citizens sink in.

Next you'd probably have to take into account the Cold War of which NATO was a huge part of, which impacts today's events, as well as the fact the the US has been actively meddling in other countries elections and overthrowing other peoples countries at least as far back as 1895 when the USS Maine exploded in Havana Harbour.

This expert says says over 81 times, not including coups or attempts at regime change.
http://www.npr.org/2016/12/22/506625913/database-tracks-history-of-u-s-meddling-in-foreign-elections
This expert claims 57 successful overthrows since WWII
http://williamblum.org/essays/read/overthrowing-other-peoples-governments-the-master-list

How many people do you think died for their actions, and we're supposed to celebrate this?
So the truth is probably 200+ times since WWII the United States involved themselves in other countries elections, probably much more.

Democracy might sound good and have a whole lot of benefits
(though I have to say I think we've been going backwards for some time)
- But it's also just a front company for western monetary policy.
A nations money issued as loans with interest, on the promise a neverending debt to be paid by all citizens and all their future generations.

Do you want to know who wins out of all of these wars and nations divided?

The bankers.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 21 May 2022 10:32:42 PM
[Cont.]
Remember the Cold War between the US and USSR?
That's what all western countries are now, we've been whittled down to two party politics, and the creation of a cold civil war, overseas dictated immigration that pits immigrants against nationalists; and divided by identity politics instead of national policies and manipulated with climate change agendas.

Look at China, they are still all about Chinese people
Russia, it's all about Russian people.
Seems to me the West hates that, and wants to destroy it.
They want a totally divided nations so they can be ruled from Brussels or be threatened with coups and sanctions.

Do not think I'm an inhumane person.
I don't like these wars and all the people that suffer because of them.

The West pretends it cares about democracy and human rights
But it's really just all about money and power.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 21 May 2022 10:44:51 PM
Armchair Critic,
Anyone disagreeing with your assessment needs assessing !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 22 May 2022 8:38:21 AM
Thanks Indyvidual,

- Continuing on...

You could probably even go back a little bit further, if you count Cecil Rhodes, Rothschild, the Brits and the Boer War.

Just look at just a few of the people the US has supported.
Khmer Rouge, Contras, Islamic State and Ukrainian Nazis
I'm not convinced it's ever been about human rights.
- But 'defending democracy' sounds good for general consumption.

Even if you said all the things that came prior were justified.
- Going to war against nuclear nations Russia and China is NOT a good idea.

Chinese people aren't stupid, they know that if the US takes out Russia, it's going to be them next.
"You want me to help you beat up my friend so you can then beat me up afterwards?"

And why is the US willing to spend 50 billion on Ukraine?
Firstly, they can't take out Russia and China together, but both are threats to the Petrodollar.
- And US hegemony as the worlds reserve currency.

Russia with vast energy resources going onto a gold standard and only accepting payment in ruble, and Saudi Arabia, who've been screwed by the West for years under the Petrodollar system now signalling that it will accept payment in Yuan for oil and gas.
Russia's economy is actually far better now than it was before the start of the war in Ukraine, but they have some pain ahead.

The question I wonder is how much of all this is part of a larger more deliberate plan?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 22 May 2022 9:44:58 AM
If you really think about it, the whole things a huge con-job.

UN immigrants quotas
How does this serve the system?
Answer = Change the People - Change the Government.

You can't have Australian's deciding what's best for Australia, no.

If you change the demographics of the people, then this different demographics of people will choose a different government.
- It's just 'cause and affect'.

Look at Cancel Culture
The right champions free speech, but the left would rather that the right not speak at all.

How does this serve the system?
Control the input (of what people think)
Then you control the output (of what people think)

Look at the US politics and particularly the Democrats platform.
This is the model to divide all western countries.

You put all immigrants and minorities under the one umbrella with the help of identity politics.

(Get people to identify as 'Lesbian' for example, instead of 'Australian')
- To denigrate and replace the original nationalist inhabitants / owners of a nation, (to make them the minority) and have the nation identify itself as multicultural which makes all citizens guests in a nation ruled by foreign treaties from Brussels.

There's a difference between National Democracy,
- Where existing Australians vote between different policy issues with other existing Australians for the betterment of our nation,

- and International Democracy;
- Where one side represents the existing citizens or owners of the nation and the other side represents an umbrella of immigrants and minority groups (empowered by identity politics) that pits us all against each other, sells us out to foreign treaties and ensures the nations citizens can never again unite to throw off the aggressors who imposed their will upon us in the first place.

This is the 2-horse race we call democracy, but it's all a huge stitch-up.
One that sees all our national assets privatised and put into the hands of bankers.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 22 May 2022 10:34:03 AM
Armchair wrote: "Norway remained neutral in WWII..."

Utterly untrue. Norway sided with Finland against Russia. I sided with Britain against Germany and therefore was invaded by Germany. They fought the Germans, sought and received British support.

Neutral...not even close.

Unfortunately, despite being completely wrong, that was the most accurate part of AC's rant.

When you don't understand the past you can't understand the present.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 22 May 2022 11:09:45 AM
When you don't understand the past you can't understand the present.
mhaze,
And, vice versa !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 22 May 2022 3:39:31 PM
Patriotism without a desire & goal for the common good of one's Nation is just as bad as no Patriotism !
A real Patriot would not exploit loopholes to minimise their contribution to the Nation's coffers in favour of personal gain !
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 22 May 2022 6:08:52 PM
I may get a few things wrong here and there, but I'm never too far off the mark.
We're not independent soverign countries anymore,
We're just vassal states in a global order underpinned by western monetary policy.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 22 May 2022 7:02:27 PM
vassal states
Armchair critic,
The politicians of which are voted in by people no better than those whom they accuse of doing what they're doing themselves.
Posted by Indyvidual, Sunday, 22 May 2022 10:44:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy