The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Scomo in Trouble

Scomo in Trouble

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. All
The recent Scomo incident is interesting.
I have been waiting for someone else to comment.
People instinctively felt there was something wrong, but could not 'put a finger' on it.

This is what happened.
At a public gathering, a lady asked a question pertinent to her circumstances.
She wanted an answer.
Scomo should have focussed on her question.
He should have used his knowledge of government policy to outline how it could help her.
After all, that is what he was there for?

Instead, HE RETREATED MENTALLY, and focussed on himself.
He talked about his own family.
That demonstrates a mental desire not to deal with her question?
It also shows a degree of selfisheness on his part?
It definitely shows a lack of EMPATHY?
THAT is what really worried those who heard him speak?

Any attempt to whitewash the incident cannot succeed?
That which happened cannot now be undone.
What he said, and the reason for it, are clear.
All he can do is say he was wrong, and say he is sorry.
Then (genuinely) try to help the lady resolve her issue?
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Tuesday, 26 April 2022 10:16:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Scomo has that stupid habit of trying to shake hands with people before they off er to do so & he looks utterly stupid when he gets ignored.
Setting him up with people who don't want to shake his hand is obviously a Labor conspiracy !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 8:26:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ipso Fatso, Stop trying to use a Media beat up on an innocent comment. He has been blessed with two healthy girls so has no need for disability services. END OF STORY. In the woman's case he was not there to give an answer to a particular case. The Department would have assessed her child's needs and supplied them accordingly. He could not determine her child's need.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 8:48:57 AM
I believe the link below is what Ipso Fatso is obliquely referring to.
You can judge for yourself- rather than some vague Ipso Fatso malaise-

http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment/news/moana-hope-calls-out-scott-morrison/ar-AAWqyul

Obviously Scott Morrison has had to manage the Australian Covid situation over the past few years- I believe that he's done an amazing job under fire- and could be excused for his shell shock at times. I feel much more comfortable with him being at the helm than anyone in the Labor Party- though there are some good points about Latham and Crean.

Morrison has had to find money for social security despite state management of the crisis. We've got a long way to dig Australia out of the hole. I think it's come to the point that the Australian people need to recognise that certain states have made the Covid situation worse than necessary- in bloody minded power tactics that have harmed Australia in a significant way.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 8:59:47 AM
I think Scomo's in trouble, but it has nothing to do with that trivial incident. He's campaigning on national security, but it's increasingly clear it's an issue on which he's all month and no trousers.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 9:23:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Was Scott morrison able to access if the child spoken about was entitled to more benefit than those dealing with her case? If you cannot give an answer to this question, you are just showing your ignorance. Having run as a Candidate myself I approached departments on behalf of citizens and found that their expectations were higher than their entitlements. Every mother wants the maximum for their child, but available funds are to be equally shared.
Posted by Josephus, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 9:33:12 AM
'Waiting for someone else to comment'. Perhaps there is nothing to comment on. Let's see what you have to say.

No. There is nothing worth commenting on. You cannot even articulate properly what Morrison's "trouble" is.

Much as I dislike Morrison, I believe he is doing very well as a campaigner; much better than the other bloke.

Good comments Josephus and CM. I am also "blessed" in the same way Morrison is, and I give thanks every time I see or hear of people less fortunate, particularly when children are involved. Expressing sympathy is in no way putting other people down. And, from the expression on the face of the woman asking the question of Morrison, I would say that she knew this, and appreciated his humanity and regret for her situation - one that he, like most of us, is BLESSED not to have experienced. Perhaps the ratty media's and IP's ignorance of what that word means is some excuse for their blather and unnecessary and unwanted beat up.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 9:46:44 AM
Hi Ipso Fatso,

We need a leader who can lead
Who'll be there for us in times of need
So choose wisely who you pick
Or you could end up with a real brick

Eenie, minnie, minnie, moe
We don't want someone just for show
The result could be much pain and tears
If we're stuck with a misfit for the next three years.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 10:14:28 AM
He's been at it for a long time:

https://cairnsnews.files.wordpress.com/2022/04/young-scummo-drinking.jpg
Posted by Zbygnyu, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 12:17:53 PM
Written very quickly.
I am sorry for the inconsistencies.

An innocent remark revealed a lot
For most of you its not a blot?
YOU are entitled to your view
But I can not agree with you
Everything one says reveals
One's inner thoughts, and what one feels
Listeners can hear it all
But often they will miss the 'call'
Important bits will slide right by
Whilst they are gazing at the sky
Luckily, the truth will out
Time does that, without a doubt
So wait a while, and see what haps
Events to come will fill the gaps
And tell the story loud and clear
Which is what we all should hear
And then we all will know for sure
The things we should have known before.
Posted by Ipso Fatso, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 12:19:29 PM
And if we don't then please understand
We often need a helping hand
To make us see what's in front of us
So we don't get hit by a great big bus.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 1:38:09 PM
We need a leader who can lead
Foxy,
That goes without saying but, the leader needs competent followers to achieve what's needed.
At this stage we have followers who have no clue what their role is & so, many such followers are more of a hindrance than of help !
Our present situation is a steeple chase with some runners (bureaudroids) heading into the opposite direction.
Not an interesting scenario albeit a highly frustrating one !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 4:32:56 PM
Take the case of Pauline Hanson
She sees things in isolation
She's against increased migration
Wanting folks who are true blue

She thinks we're overrun with Asians
Muslims too aren't really hot
But if you wear an Akubra hat
You'd be welcomed by her lot

She's unaware that a great big hat
May often hide a little brain
That's why so many in her group
Keep asking her to 'Please explain."
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 4:46:56 PM
And then we have the United Australia Party
Whose promises are many and wild
If you believe what Clive is selling
You're certainly a gullible child.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 4:52:50 PM
Funny my view is that if you are drawn in by Foxy's obvious psychological ploy then you must be a gullible child.

Always do your own research- rather than believing someone else's research- and decide on what's in your own interest.

Often people think they are smart when they take a short cut- only to find that they fail. The wise know that there are short cuts and false leads.
Posted by Canem Malum, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 6:47:57 PM
We have only to look at history.
The biggest self-proclaimed so called - "patriots"
were often working for the enemy - and sold out
at the first opportunity. And yes - by all means do
the research on the subject.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 6:55:52 PM
"Kim" Philby. The Cambridge Five, - are all well worth
researching.

Much has been written on the subject of the moles
in m15 and the UK in general.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 7:02:36 PM
He's been at it for a long time:
Zbygnyu,
Like most Uni-attendees he was no different then but, as we have witnessed over the years he has grown out of that & became more responsible unlike his Leftist classmates.
Now, they're hounding him like a pack of mongrels with a mentality to suit !
They accuse him of failing in his job without once hinting at their sabotage at our expense & to our detriment but purely for their insidious agenda ! As I said, just a pack of mongrels !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 8:37:54 PM
Judging from the constant attacking ads on TV
and the money being thrown around - we know
where the desperation and panic lies.
Voters are not stupid and they're not fooled
for one minute.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 27 April 2022 10:58:37 PM
I was amused when Morrison referred to a reporter as "Mr Speaker" three times during an interview. To me it suggests his spiel is so well rehearsed he was running on auto-pilot and not paying attention to what he was saying.

Of course if it was Albanese saying the same thing we would now be discussing the onset of dementia or him being delusional.

The anti-China spear rattling and increasing fear campaign plus some biassed commentators increasing both the volume and pitch of their statements suggests there are many who think he is in trouble. Today's inflation figure plus the waiting legacy of restoring the fuel tax in a few months will be a poisoned chalice for whoever wins.
Posted by rache, Thursday, 28 April 2022 1:32:32 AM
Morrison has chosen to inject "Jan and the girls" into the rough and tumble of the political debate. That makes them fair game to be lampooned from all angles. Morrison likes to project himself as having a 21st century Australian equivalent of the 50's fantasy American tee-vee family 'Ozzie and Harriet', where the worse thing to ever happen was Ricky forgot to put the trash out on Sunday night, it was all a life of peaches and cream.

Scotty; "Look folks I have the perfect family, Jan and the girls, look they've all got two arm, two legs and two heads!.....I am truly BLESSED!"

Having spent a trillion dollars of borrowed money like a bunch of drunken sailors over the past couple of years, and unable to stand on their record the Coalition are now resorting to their old favourites of FEAR and SMEAR to try and retain office.

Lets not talk about inflation, lets not talk about wages, lets not talk about the crises in health, aged care and housing No lets talk about Jan and the girls.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 28 April 2022 5:42:06 AM
"Having spent a trillion dollars of borrowed money like a bunch of drunken sailors over the past couple of years"

Of course this was always going to happen.

The $ 1T was spent due to the lockdown. No lockdown, no $1T. The vast majority of the population were completely on board with the lockdown and with the government throwing money around to help everyone get through it. Only a few of us who opposed the lockdown were expressing concerns at the profligacy of all governments during this period. While some warned of the dangers of the spending, the louder calls were for more spending - extend JobKeeper, increase the dole etc. Paul, as I recall, was fully on board with the lockdown.

But now that the costs of those utterly unnecessary lockdowns are coming home to roost, suddenly all those who cheered the lockdowns and cheered the spending, are feigning distress that the cost was unsustainable.

I suspect the majority of the population are like Paul. They're upset that the country is in debt but forget that it was they who cheered the policies that got us into this disaster.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 28 April 2022 9:15:50 AM
I had fun making up rhymes about leaders
and two of our minority political parties.
Here's one party I left out:

Next we have the Greens
who want to save the planet
Protect our environment so it won't die
Climate change is not real
So some people say
But bushfires, floods, and weather changes
Aren't going away

If nothing's done and we sit back
And keep on being simply slack
What can we expect to see
More devastation?
Probably

Should we continue to ignore
The extinction of creatures big and small?
Do we really want to be
On the ash heap of history?

We have a choice that we can make
For all of us and our planet's sake
To save the planet - not destroy
Bringing all of us much joy.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 28 April 2022 10:49:50 AM
Get over this non-issue and contemplate real issues for the political goons to solve: e.g 5.1% inflation. $16K more on your already ridiculously huge mortgages. How 'blessed' does that make you feel? I look like being blessed with higher interest rates to hurry my modest investments along. Whoopee!
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 April 2022 10:53:58 AM
Cost of living is more important to voters than one word coming out of Morrison's mouth. Popular food is becoming unaffordable. The government's recent budget has been blown out of the water, and things would be worse under a Green Labor regime. The lack of 4 ply toilet paper two weeks running is of more importance to me than all this petty, bed-wetting Leftist ideology and whining about about what a politician says - particularly when it has nothing to do with running the country. Get a grip! Come to terms with the nitty gritty of real life. Get ready for hard times, no matter which group of drongos is in government. Start thinking about what influence Communist China will have on the drongos, who have let our defence dwindle to nothing ever since World War 11. The Japanese were beaten off in the Solomon Islands and what is now PNG. Red China is moving into both places now. Will we be able to beat them off, while we whine about the PM's choice of words; fuss about transgenderism, our supposed racism, ruining our economy over a pretend 'climate crisis', and all that hard left shite? I doubt it. We need more than "positive thinking" to survive what the drift to the left has brought down on us for the past 50 years.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 April 2022 11:37:09 AM
It'd be much more sensible to discuss ways of reducing the insane bureaucrat salaries which are as an indisputable fact the cause of all the economic imbalance in Australia. In a nutshell, too many excessive salaries for too many people doing nothing worthwhile.
I'm fine with competent professionals receiving good salary but I draw the line at the masses of incompetent bureaucrats working full time against the Government to the detriment of our society.
Don't blame the Govt, kick out those useless chair polishers !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 28 April 2022 11:53:49 AM
For the likes of mhaze who want to put all this debt on both Labor and the pandemic.

"When the Coalition came to power in September 2013, gross debt stood at about $280.3 billion. That level of debt was largely the consequence of borrowing undertaken by the former Labor government to help cushion Australia from the global financial crisis, which according to the Reserve Bank began around mid-2007. By the end of January 2020, as Australia began to record its first cases of coronavirus, gross debt was $568.1 billion. On July 22, 2020 ... gross debt stood at $723.4 billion."

Link for mhaze as he has problems googling.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-13/fact-check-budget-debt-coronavirus-pandemic/12545628
Posted by SteeleRedux, Thursday, 28 April 2022 12:12:07 PM
Government debt;
http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/pubs/rp/BudgetReview202122/CommonwealthDebt
Posted by Josephus, Thursday, 28 April 2022 12:53:23 PM
Islands are a dreadful defensive base, as was proven in WW!!. You can't reinforce them unless you control both the sea & air in the vicinity, & you can't run away from them.

Yes they are an aircraft carrier you can't sink, but that is only of any use if your air arm is stronger than any opposition. China are either showing their naivety in wanting island bases, or are simply stirring for the sake of it. Probably the latter as they know how inner city twits so easily get their knickers in a knot.

Time for people to worry about something meaningful, if they can get their noses out of their phones long enough to put 2 thoughts together.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 28 April 2022 1:06:19 PM
individual,

Nobody is going to cut public sector salaries (they even raised them while those in the productive private sector lost their jobs). But, they could, with little comment from most Australians, slash the public sector - starting with the ABC. The only workers that the public should be paying are those in essential services: health, defence, treasury, utilities, police, fire services.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 28 April 2022 1:58:50 PM
SR wrote: "For the likes of mhaze who want to put all this debt on both Labor and the pandemic."

Becoming rather deranged there ol' boy. I didn't mention Labor in my post. Nor did I blame the so-called pandemic for the debt (two for two SR)- I blame the government's the responses to the pandemic. A response that was supported by a large majority of the population who are now aghast that spending money you don't have has consequences.

Do try to keep up with the rest of the class.
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 28 April 2022 2:55:02 PM
The only workers that the public should be paying are those in essential services: health, defence, treasury, utilities, police, fire services.
ttbn,
Yes and, even their bureaucrats need to be made way more responsible than has been the case for decades now. Remember, it's the bureaucrats who are the virus in the Public Service, not any of the professionals.
The only way to sort that mess is via natural attrition & any new positions need to be reviewed & revised in their salary rates. The present situation is that they're simply overpaid for their required duties. The nation can no longer afford them !
As I said before, introduce a National Service & only someone who has served can be eligible for a position in the Public Service. This is the ONLY way to ensure accountability !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 28 April 2022 6:48:13 PM
Debating the pros and cons of policies is like comparing the merits of religions.

In the end, as PM Jack Lang once said "In the race of life, always back self-interest - at least you know it's trying" or in the version stated by Gough Whitlam - "The punters know that the horse named Morality rarely gets past the post, whereas the nag named Self-interest always runs a good race.“

Considering the serious issues humanity faces and the potential fate of future generations it says a lot about the political system but even more about us.
Posted by rache, Friday, 29 April 2022 12:02:40 AM
Individual,
>introduce a National Service & only someone who has served can be eligible for a position in the Public Service.
That would result in the Public Service being barred from hiring most of the competent people. It's like you're TRYING to make it as incompetent as you keep baselessly insisting it is!

>This is the ONLY way to ensure accountability !
False for two reasons:
First it would do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve accountability.
Second there are many ways to ensure accountability. Crowdsourcing scrutiny is the best IMO.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 29 April 2022 2:20:31 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi rache,

John (Jack) Thomas Lang, the one I consider Australia's greatest politician who was destined to never be Prime Minister. Lang never shirked a political fight, particularly if it meant standing up for the rights and welfare of the battlers and oppressed of society. Lang was never defeated by his political enemies through the true democratic process, rather they had to resort to unconscionable means to bring the "Big Fella" down, be they his conservative enemies in parliament and outside, or the traitors of the working class within the Labor Party, a party he was ultimately expelled from, only to be readmitted in the last years of his life. Living to the age of 98 years Lang never gave up the struggle for the rights of the common man.

His books 'The Great Bust', 'I Remember' and 'The Turbulent Years' make for fascinating reading. I have read everything I can about Lang including 'Dismissal Of A Premier' by Bethia Foott which attempts to justify the undemocratic actions of the Governor of NSW Sir Philip Game in sacking Lang in 1932.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 29 April 2022 4:21:49 AM
Only those elderly folk like Indy, who have completed 2 years of Seniors National Service should eligible for aged welfare payments. That payment should be in the form of a cashless debit card to stop the practice of much of the money being squandered on beer and pokies down at God's Waiting Room. Indy you're all for that, ah?
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 29 April 2022 4:43:35 AM
Paul1405,
Have you ever considered a career in the Armed Forces as cannon fodder ? Would your standard of abilities qualify you for that ?
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 April 2022 7:46:07 PM
First it would do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve accountability.
Aidan,
I didn't realise you're too young to remember when we did have accountability & better citizens !
Posted by individual, Friday, 29 April 2022 9:53:02 PM
Paul1405
There have been painfully few PMs or politicians who had any sort of long-term vision beyond the next election.

I can think of one in particular who wanted to "buy back the farm" so we could get all the profits from our mineral wealth instead of small-change royalties and create a sovereign wealth fund for the country.

He also saw the approaching petrol crisis of the seventies and wanted to make us energy self sufficient, constructing massive fuel storage facilities in Central Australia and criss-crossing the country with pipelines and even creating a national rail gauge standard just to name a few plans.

Unfortunately there were vested interests that prevented him from getting international finance and so Rex Connor looked elsewhere, but when that failed he still refused to give up on his vision, leading to his eventual downfall.

How many pollies have any sort of courage nowadays? The only time they look beyond the next election is when they are canvassing for their next job in the private sector or a lucrative government appointment.
Posted by rache, Saturday, 30 April 2022 1:19:00 AM
Hi rache,

Gough Whitlam and the Labor Party did indeed have a great vision for Australia's future, but the spectacular downfall of the Whitlam government at the hands of the Septic Tank Murdoch, acting for powerful vested interests, meant that Labor was so cowed by that experience that none of its leaders, or the party itself has been willing to embrace such a vision since. Instead Labor has chosen to be the so called party of "reform" choosing to tinker at the edges, and work on the margins, rather than have the courage to stand up with conviction, and be counted as a true party of change.

Albanese may well win the election, Morrison may retain office, either result means jack sh!t to me. Whatever the result, it will be more of the same, but with a Labor win it would see a small change in emphases only.

I was a member of the Labor Party for about 20 years, before realising it had become populated by many small minded pinheads, more interested in winning for winnings sake, than implementing fundamental change for the betterment of society. The Greens are an improvement, but can be weak-kneed at times, some preferring to play the part of the John Cleese character "Reg" from 'The Life of Brian' than doing what should be done.

cont
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 30 April 2022 5:55:26 AM
cont

ps; I was once invited to attend a Liberal Party branch meeting back in the 70's, some fool though I was "new member" material, was he wrong, but I went along for the hoot anyway. Picture this, at the front was a table with a white linen table cloth, adorned with a photo of 'Pig Iron' Bob, and a very youngish 'Her Majesty'. Seated there were three older folk, the branch secretary, the treasurer and the branch president. The meeting was forgettable other than for near the end of the proceedings the chairman indicated to two old ladies it was time for them to retire to the back of the room and prepare the tea and Iced VoVo biscuits, the highlight of the evening. Some old bloke questioned me as to what I thought of that "frightful Communist Gough Whitlam"...with a cheery "I hope to see you next month" from the old fella, I departed, never to return. Do the Liberal's still serve Iced VoVo's at their branch meetings? If they do, I might go along.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 30 April 2022 5:59:34 AM
Gough's biggest problem was that he wanted to spend the proceeds of the great post-war economic expansion, without ever understanding how or where that expansion came from. So when the economic good-times began to unravel, poor ol' Gough hadn't the faintest idea what to do about it.

The appropriate response would have been to pare back some of his grandiose ideas instead of carrying on regardless in the hope, and nothing more than hope, that things would somehow pick up.

In the end he merely succeeded in throwing vast numbers of those he purported to be trying to help into unemployment and economic misery.

He wasn't overthrown by Murdoch or the CIA or whatever other bogey-men the left conjure up, but by the Australian people saying "enough". And they said it again in 1977.

As to silly old Rex Connor, he certainly had a vision. He wanted to create a vast ministry that would control all of Australia's mineral wealth and energy requirements. The type of 'vision' that made the USSR what it is today! Part of Rex's problem was that his 'vision' vastly exceeded his abilities, resulting in him being utterly hoodwinked by some charlatan from the Middle East. Struth, even Gough saw how hopeless Rex was and got rid of him. When even Gough sees through a 'comrade'. he's gotta be bad.
Posted by mhaze, Saturday, 30 April 2022 9:26:15 AM
As I recall it Connor had to go after he misled Parliament over the loans matter.

The was a British miniseries that came out in the early 80s that was very close to what happened here but the petrodollars were roubles and the plotters were the Public Service.

According to a historian at Newcastle Uni who specialises in that era, Whitlam made the USA uncomfortable over Pine Gap and various other matters but the last straw was when he considered refining our own uranium instead of shipping it to the USA and break their monopoly.

Until then the yanks had a global patent on the refining process but the French came up with another method that we could use. The CIA put pressure on MI5 who leaned on Kerr and for what it's worth, years later Jimmy Carter wrote to Whitlam saying that the USA would never again interfere in the internal politics of Australia.

Murdoch also had a vendetta against Whitlam because his insistence that he be appointed Commissioner to London (and expand his media empire) was turned down with the bonus of being called "a shonky slob".

Fun times - but overall the qualities of our representatives on both sides was much higher than the charlatans and corrupt carpetbaggers of today.
Posted by rache, Sunday, 1 May 2022 12:53:38 AM
Good point on island defense Hasbeen.
Posted by Canem Malum, Sunday, 1 May 2022 3:18:56 AM
Good point on island defence Hasbeen, if the year was still 1945. Unfortunately its not, and the use of intercontinental ballistic missiles makes island hopping redundant.

mhaze quoting chapter and verse from the conservative playbook on the Whitlam years. Just as Biden couldn't remember Morrison's name, Nixon couldn't remember McMahon's name, but he soon learnt the name of Edward Gough Whitlam. The CIA had always been suspect of the Australian Labor Party post war, believing it was populated by communists. Post war conservative rule in Australia under Menzies, Holt, Gorton and MacMahon reassured America of the lap dog status of Australia, and the Labor Party in opposition was of little concern. The Americans may have had suspicions about the Labor mob, the election of Whitlam in 1972 left them in no doubt, with anti American actions, the quick withdrawal from Vietnam, the recognition of Communist China and the general socialist pro-Australia approach of the government confirmed for the Americans that the "Bolshevik were indeed in charge in Canberra" and they had to be dealt with. A CIA plan was hatched, involving the anti-Labor forces within Australia, to overthrow the legitimately elected government. This was not done in the usual American style of the gun and assignation, but through what laughably appeared to be be the peaceful "democratic process" of the ballot box. It was the action of a subversive America, aided and abetted by home grown traitors, Kerr, Fraser, Barwick, Murdoch, scabs in parliament etc, that brought down the democratically elected Whitlam Government. The Labor Party has spent the last 47 trying to convince America they have changed their ways, and they are now a subservient lap dog that can be trusted. BUT! Uncle Sam still has his lingering suspicions!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 May 2022 8:02:26 AM
That's Bolshevik's and assassination
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 May 2022 8:07:48 AM
Rache,

I don't know where you dig up these ridiculous conspiracy theories.

There is no special patent on enriching uranium, it is just horrendously expensive to build a plant, and unless Aus was looking at building nukes or a fleet of nuclear power plants it would be moronic.
Posted by shadowminister, Sunday, 1 May 2022 8:16:13 AM
Lots of assertions there, Paul. Unfortunately not a single supporting fact. But a few errors.

Although its ALP myth that Whitlam pulled Australia out of Vietnam, the fact is that the withdrawal had begun long before Whitlam came to power. Equally, his rapprochement with Red China wasn't a problem for the US. Indeed Nixon had already made his famous trip to China long before Whitlam came to power and Japan had moved to normalise relations. So the idea that recognition was a problem for the US is just another of those ALP myths that you have, as per usual, fallen for hook, line and sinker.

While I didn't and don't support Fraser's manoeuvres in 1975, Whitlam was thrown out because his government was a disaster. Recession, inflation at 17%, unemployment at the then unheard of 5%. No amount of myth-making will hide this evidence, unless, like you, the evidence is ignored.
Posted by mhaze, Sunday, 1 May 2022 10:31:00 AM
"The use of intercontinental ballistic missiles makes island hopping redundant". Paul

Yes it does Paul, but it makes island bases even more vulnerable & useless than they were in 1943/5.

If you don't see the stupidity of the ideological ratbaggery of Whitlam, just take a trip a little north & check out the total basket case his stupidity has left New Guinea. He probably felt all warm & fuzzy when he granted them self government & independence many decades before they could handle it. Tens of thousands are paying today for his stupidity, & will be for at least the next 50 years, if not their decedents for ever.

Not many politicians can claim to have ruined the future of a country as thoroughly as Whitlam ruined PNGs, & was well on his way to doing the same for Oz.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 1 May 2022 12:54:11 PM
HASABEEN,

"Not many politicians can claim to have ruined the future of a country"

Gee, imagine if YOU were a politician and got your wish and NUKED 200 million innocent people in Pakistan, as you called for on this very Forum. Would the Pakistani's have a "ruined future", me thinks so. Old Farts like you are a JOKE!
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 1 May 2022 2:59:59 PM
We are well on the way to ruining our cities when every high-rise residential tower has their garages fitted with electricity charge points for the resident's cars to be charged at night for the next day's journeys. So much for relying on sunlight and imagining the thousands of cars draining power at night while the homeowner is preparing meals in air-conditioned units. The price of power will skyrocket.
Posted by Josephus, Sunday, 1 May 2022 3:52:19 PM
ruined the future of a country as thoroughly as Whitlam ruined PNGs
Hasbeen,
Whitlam was the most hated white man in New Guinea, even some journalists have remarked on that !
I believe Rudd speaks Mandarin, perhaps they should make him Ambassador to the Solomon Islands ?
Scomo did the right thing re the Solomon Islands, there isn't anything any outsider can do when the Govt of a Nation has made up its mind to sign a deal with a Super power.
Anyone arguing otherwise should try a stint as a mercenary & see how they go !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 1 May 2022 6:29:37 PM
Any proud owner of a calculator should punch in the following digits;
$ 1.2 million x 365 x 47. The result is how much Australia's been handing over to them since their "Independence" !
Should we give them more to change their mind re going with China ?
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 3 May 2022 7:03:57 PM
Scomo in trouble, you better believe it, his policy of putting FEAR into the voters is working well. Just yesterday he put the FEAR into mortgage holders that under a ScumO' government they are going to lose their houses. Being a wacky fundo maybe he should try putting the FEAR of God into them, it can only lose him the election.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 4 May 2022 7:10:19 AM
Looks like the Lefties aren't very happy about reaping the fruits of their agenda !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 4 May 2022 7:57:33 AM
What ? No flak from our resident do-gooders regarding the billions to PNG ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 5 May 2022 10:00:35 AM
shadowminister.

The source of my statement came from a University Historian about 20 years ago. His research was based on his examination of US documents that are progressively declassified as they reach the 10 or 25 year expiry date.

I'm realise there are a number of yellowcake processing techniques available nowadays but this event was from 50 years ago - a time before computers and mobile phones and at the dawn of digital watches and the proposal to "add value" to our yellowcake exports was being widely discussed at the time. It was a bit like manufacturing and exporting steel in lieu of iron ore - something we no longer do.

Also the word "conspiracy" tossed around so readily nowadays suggests doing something harmful or illegal. You could probably call it a "rumour" but nowadays in this era of disinformation and media self-interest, what is "truth"?
Posted by rache, Thursday, 5 May 2022 9:20:36 PM
Hey Ipso Fatso,
"Instead, HE RETREATED MENTALLY, and focussed on himself."
- Better than Albo, who often RETARDS MENTALLY
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 6 May 2022 7:59:30 PM
Rache,

I am highly dubious of your information for various reasons:
1 you can't link to it,
2 It makes no economic or technological sense.

Firstly the techniques for enriching uranium have not changed over 50 years, though the equipment to do so has improved.

Secondly, the cost of building such a plant would be in the 100s of $bns and could not compete with the US or French and unless Aus was planning to build nuclear missiles or a fleet of power plants would be entirely pointless.

Thus this mythical Historian of yours sounds like a conspiracy nut.
Posted by shadowminister, Saturday, 7 May 2022 9:03:13 AM
Albo is the one in trouble.

Albanese's media performances have shown that he is Labor's weakest link; he is not fit to be PM. As Michael Kroeger says, he is just "too dumb" for the job. He can't even handle the Canberra press gallery. He would look a complete fool as our leader while dealing with other world leaders. He is ignorant of his own policies. 'Bidenesque'. Has to surround himself with shadow ministers to answer the questions he can't answer.

No matter what you think of Morrison personally, he is campaigning brilliantly: no stumbling and bumbling when asked a question. Knows what his policies are and can reel off their details at the drop of a hat. Well experienced in economic matters and border protection, having had experience in both; while Albo has only ever been a sort of 'Groom of the Stool' to sundry Labor leaders.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 May 2022 10:06:13 AM
Something that has probably been missed in the hurley burly of electioneering - but which shows Labor's march down the woke trail - is the revelation that, in their binding National Policy Platform, the words 'mother', 'breast feeding' and 'pregnant mothers' have BEEN REMOVED.

If Labor gets in, all of us will be all "in trouble".
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 May 2022 10:52:58 AM
Morrison and his team of supporters try to paint
their opponent as a hapless parliamentary tragic
with no grasp of the practicalities of running a
government or an economy.

This is absurd given that Albanese sat at the heart
of two governments and steered an agenda through the
43rd government when Labor lacked a majority in both
houses. He's proud of those two parliaments and the
Labor achievements.

Albanese will give us more than a slogan and spin.
He wants to be PM not chief tactician. Scott
Morrison's government is incoherent and idling. There's
no reason for them to exist other than for Scott
Morrison being able to occupy a position.

The contrast is Anthony Albanese wants to leave a legacy,
to make a difference, otherwise why would anyone do this.
Albanese may not have slick soundbites but he's got
lived experience, fire in his belly, heart on sleeve.
He can tell a journo what the disability support
services are for.

Services restore dignity to people like his mother
who had to bump down a flight of stairs on her backside
because she couldn't walk.
This is not soundbite politics. This isn't spin and slogans.
This is politics with purpose. It's politics about something real.
Some skin in the game.

Anthony Albanese wants to be PM to give battlers the same
opportunities as he had.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 May 2022 10:55:36 AM
Foxy are you trying to convince us with your humour?
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 7 May 2022 12:51:59 PM
Josephus,

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
Just encouraging people to look deeper and
examine the facts that exist - and not listen
to soundbites, spin, or slogans.

I know it's not easy. But all that glistens
isn't gold.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 May 2022 12:55:25 PM
Proud Boy Jose'

If things don't go your way May 21st, will you be rioting and storming parliament house, aka Washington, 2021.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 7 May 2022 2:25:21 PM
Nobody has, or needs to, make Albanese look bad; he is taking care of that himself, with his ignorance of his own policies, and thinking that talking about Morrison's record will gloss over his own appalling performance and unsuitability for the office of PM.

He simply has not had the necessary experience in key portfolios, being merely an also ran, a Groom of the Stool. For those of you who don't know what that entailed in times gone by, it was a servant who wiped the king's bum after he had been 'at stool'.

All the malarkey about his upbringing in public housing by a single mother only serves to put his mother in a good light. I wonder if she now owns several rental properties, as her son does.

If this incompetent nicampoop does get to be PM, it will be only because of Morrison's mistakes, real or imagined. It will certainly not be because he is worthy of the job.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 May 2022 4:05:18 PM
hey shadowminister,

"Firstly the techniques for enriching uranium have not changed over 50 years, though the equipment to do so has improved."

http://www.silex.com.au/silex-technology/silex-uranium-enrichment-technology/
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 7 May 2022 4:15:23 PM
It will be interesting to see the results of
tomorrow's debate on Channel 9, at 8.30pm when
Scott Morrison and Anthony Albanese go
head-to-head. We shall see who is more convincing,
capable, and believable. And whop we can trust to
do the job.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 May 2022 6:50:22 PM
As they always do, the media will say that Albo 'won' no matter how stupid he makes himself look. Viewers will decide according to who they want to win the election (personal bias). I will not take any notice; will probably forget to watch. If you don't know enough about both men now, their policies and abilities - or lack thereof - you will not learn anything from a schoolboy debate. If you do not already know who you will vote for, you really do not deserve a vote. You have had two terms of a Morrison government to make judgements on; the same time watching the opposition perform, and their criticism of the government, and how they would do things differently. If two blokes talking BS a couple of weeks prior to the election is important to your decision, you have left it too late. You are one of the far too many Australians who think that politicians need only be of concern to you at election time.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 8 May 2022 9:49:07 AM
Whilst in government, the ONLY two portfolios Albo held were Infrastructure and Broadband & Communications. Mickey Mouse stuff. And don't we all remember the hideously broadband stuffup!
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 8 May 2022 10:40:27 AM
Of course we can't (and shouldn't ) speak on behalf
of anybody else and how they are going to vote. We
can only speak on behalf of ourselves and what
matters to us and our families. People make choices
for various different reasons. Some simply support
their parties (like in football). To others policies
matter. Others vote the way their families have done
for generations. Still others buy the slogans and spin.
Others identify with the personalities of the party
leaders (like Pauline Hanson). And so it goes.

The next couple of weeks are going to be interesting
and probably - particularly nasty - as things heat up.
I have made up my mind as to how I shall be voting (and why).
For those who are still undecided - the debate could
clarify things. In any case - the debate is worth
watching. Especially because this time it's going to be
along traditional lines - with questions being asked
by experienced political journalists.
It just may answer any lingering questions. Or not.
It's worth taking the risk. After all -

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 8 May 2022 10:52:15 AM
In my electorate Albo or Morrison do not appear on the ballot paper. I would like to know a lot more about the local candidates who will represent me. Even party candidates vary in their abilities and values, so are they willing to cross the floor on Bills to agree or disagree on values that represent my values?
Posted by Josephus, Sunday, 8 May 2022 4:43:26 PM
Jose'

You should run and vote for yourself, if you want someone who only votes always to suit you.

ring, ring...its your MP here, how should I vote on this bill, just to suit YOU!

Jose', given what you post here, a vote for One Nation should see you through.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 8 May 2022 5:35:13 PM
Jose'

You should run and vote for yourself, if you want someone who only votes always to suit you.

ring, ring...its your MP here, how should I vote on this bill, just to suit YOU!

Jose, given what you post here, a vote for One Nation should see you through.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 8 May 2022 5:35:24 PM
Not much in last night's debate, ScumO' did try to play the bully boy, which doesn't go down well with voters.

Today's big issue is the bread and butter cost of living, supermarket prices are taking off at 10% pa. Add to that sky-rocketing mortgage payments, throw in Morrison's no pay rise for workers policy, and you can see many Australians are in deep trouble if Morridon wins May 21st.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 9 May 2022 6:18:09 PM
I have my vote sorted out and written it down ready for the big day. Seven candidates in the lower house, with Labor, the Fusion Party and Greens at the bottom in that order. Twelve below the line in the Senate, without having to include any candidate from the Liberals, Labor or far left fruit loops!

I will be voting once only, unlike the 18,000 people who were caught voting more than once in 2016 (no figures after that). Guess who they would have for multiple multiple times. Yes. The only party that spoke out against having voter ID: Labor.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 9 May 2022 6:32:22 PM
No voter ID and, apparently, the AEC is not questioning people to see if they qualify for early voting, which started today. There are statuary requirements that are supposed to be fulfilled; but that's not happening. People who just don't like lining up with other people are being allowed to vote early - among other non-legitimate excuses.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 9 May 2022 9:00:51 PM
Just got an email notification retail power going up 33% from May 24th. Thanks to the coal lovers, ScumO' and Bonking Barney.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 9 May 2022 11:57:28 PM
"Guess who they would have for multiple multiple times. Yes. The only party that spoke out against having voter ID: Labor."

Because nobody ever actually determined a correct set of rules for 'democracy' then it's always been open to some level of corrupt or sneaky activity, that can be manipulated for a preferred outcome.

No-country's democracy is the same as anothers.
But they all use the same dirty tricks to manipulate an outcome.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 12:08:24 AM
You know why the US loves democracy?
Because it can meddle in the elections of everyone else's country.
Assange says they meddled in foreign countries elections 81 times, and that's not including all the coups and overthrows.

Notice how you never hear our leaders mention him?
To do so makes look like the muppets they are.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 3:56:23 AM
Why are electoral materials printed in 45 different languages? Aren't citizens of Australia supposed to read and understand English? This is where our decline is happening, we import people from war torn countries and they bring their preconceived impressions with them as they do not accept our culture and values.
Posted by Josephus, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 8:27:14 AM
Jose', You simply reinforce your bigoted racists attitudes. Why the expectation that migrant's should be required to read and write English? The answer is simple, with your world view, you see yourself as superior to these people. Knowing many cannot conform, you want to use that as an excuse to exclude such "inferior" folk.
AND, you call yourself a Christian!
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 8:52:52 AM
Josephus,

Good question. But you know the answer: multiculturalism and identity politics,

" …. individual rights (are) being supplanted by group rights, which are the modus operandi of all authoritarian regimes". (Declan Mansfield, author, 3/5/22).

Divide and conquer. Irrespective of the election results, division and identity politics, kowtowing to minorities, will continue; all because voters keep voting for the same sort of power-obsessed people, who their own interests at heart, not those of Australia.
Posted by ttbn, Tuesday, 10 May 2022 9:05:12 AM
Pauliar,

As always power prices are going up due to the vast subsidies for renewable power.

I see that Albozo lied in front of an audience, so much for his integrity.
Posted by shadowminister, Wednesday, 11 May 2022 2:55:39 PM
Pauliar,

Once again you spout crap without thinking.

All signage safety and otherwise and documentation is in English.
Posted by shadowminister, Wednesday, 11 May 2022 2:58:00 PM
Josephus,
Understanding of english isn't boolean. So although our citizens are meant to understand english, they may struggle with complicated stuff. And although our voting system is the best in the world, it's not particularly simple.
Therefore it's desirable to translate this important information into languages that people are more familiar with.

________________________________________________________________________________

shadow,
As always, when skyrocketing gas prices drive up the cost of electricity, you blame renewables.
Am I right in thinking you'd be unwilling to give renewables any of the credit if power prices fall?

________________________________________________________________________________

ttbn,
People are allowed to vote earl if they have a reasonable fear for their safety. If challenged they'd probably claim they have a reasonable fear coronavirus would jeopardise their safety.

Voter ID requirements would add to the cost of elections, slow things down, and do little if anything to address electoral fraud.

It wasn't 18000 people caught voting more than once in 2016, it was 18000 names crossed off more than once. AIUI most of these were clerical errors (the wrong name was crossed off). Of those who did vote multiple times, the most common reason was confused elderly voters forgetting they'd already voted.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 11 May 2022 3:59:55 PM
shonky,

They should be in pictograph form, so poor illiterate folk like you can understand them. How about you ask GY if little piccy graphs could be included on OLO so you too can join in the conversation?

(-!-) BICD.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 12 May 2022 5:11:36 AM
Pauliar,

I wouldn't recommend downloading any pictures from the greens as they would get the downloader arrested.
Posted by shadowminister, Thursday, 12 May 2022 7:37:26 AM
shonky,

How's the 'Cry Baby' Porter case going? You know the bloke you said had nothing to worry about. In fact you claimed Cry Baby was in for $10 million + in compo payment, a grovelling apology from the ABC, and 100 ABC staff sacked to pay for it all. YOU ARE THE JOKE.

Some people get something right, sometime. YOU get nothing right, all of the time. How do you do it?
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 12 May 2022 8:41:45 AM
Reports (email) from those on the ground at Pre-Poll Booths around Brisbane is a feeling of an anti-LNP swing. Early days, but that's not sounding good for ScumO'. A week can be a long time in politics.

Don't forget ScumO' wants all Australians doing it tough with, inflation, mortgage payments, low wages etc that inflation in Bongostan is 250%, now that should bring comfort to voters.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 13 May 2022 6:54:00 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 13
  7. 14
  8. 15
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy