The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Value of ANZAC Day

The Value of ANZAC Day

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
What does ANZAC Day mean to you? What are you remembering? For me its a 5 o'clock trip to the local Dawn Service, a mix of young and old, who I'm sure think differently from each other about the day. For me a time to remind myself of the futility of war, not that I should need greatly reminding of that fact, as useless wars are still taking place all over the globe today. Remembering ALL who scarified their lives, yes not just those who fought on our "good" side, but those who were the "enemy" then as well. Our 16 year old granddaughter and family will be around for dinner tonight, I must ask what she thinks of Anzac Day.
Posted by Paul1405, Sunday, 24 April 2022 7:59:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anzac Day has always been a public expression of
gratitude and reflection that still resonates today
with both the young and the elderly. We can see that
from the thousands of people in Australia and New Zealand
who gather to pay their respects. The dawn ceremonies
are especially moving.

It's a time at which we reflect on the many different meanings
of war. And tomorrow let us all say a prayer for Ukraine and
her people.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 24 April 2022 5:09:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I spent a few hours last night reading about The Second Battle of GAZA.
One of many battles with which my Great Grandfather took part in as a Lighthorseman.
In this battle he earned the Distinguished Service Order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Gaza

Major Dudley Wallace Arabin Smith, 1st Australian Light Horse Regt.

For conspicious gallantry in action during the second battle of GAZA on the 19th April, 1917. This squadron leader, commanding the vanguard of the advance guard of his Division, occupied BAIKET EL SANA. This position he held throughout the morning with his squadron under heavy fire. When the position was reinforced just before the enemy launched their determined counter attack this officer was placed in command of the left flank of the position. By his great coolness and daring he handled a most difficult situation when the enemy advanced through the crops to within 300 yards of the position and broke up the enemy attack.
Recommended for D.S.O.

http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1562678

http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/awm-media/collection/RCDIG1068798/document/5517397.PDF

At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we forget.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 24 April 2022 7:48:37 PM
Thanks Foxy and AC

A moving local Dawn Service, despite the Brisbane rain, a small price to pay. Took particular note of those attending, many young folk and families, good to see.

What does the 16 year old granddaughter think of ANZAC Day; A time to remember what people did for Australia in the past. She can't understand why there are wars. Today she can't understand why the people in Ukrainian are having their homes destroyed for no reason. She is frighten that Russia could use atomic bombs. Thinks Australia should take as many refugees as possible. I recall the other uncle sayings things like;

My Granduncle Jim was at Gallipoli, not on the 25th, but later in June as a reinforcement. He lasted less than a week, when a piece of shrapnel hit him in the private parts. Seems that was a blessing in disguise, patched up he was sent to the Western Front where rather than put in the line, was transferred to the Messenger Unit, luckily he survived the war. Uncle survived to become a grumpy old man, who worked for about 50 in the box factory, making wooden fruit boxes.

Then there was Uncle Frank who "fought" in New Guinea, not with a gun but with a pair of scissors, he was a barber in Port Moresby. A very jolly chap he would say when torturing us kids with haircuts; "They also served, those who stood and cut"...he also claimed he once cut General MacArthur's hair ( the little fact that Gen MacArthur was never in NG, didn't seem to faze Uncle). His brother said; "Frank, they should have let you lose on the Japanese, you would have defeated them in a day with haircuts, but torture is against the Geneva Convention." I liked my old uncles.

ps Uncle also said; "Frank if you cut MacArthur's hair, he would have had you taken out the next morning and shot!"
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 25 April 2022 6:50:46 AM
My wife's contribution to the day. Said to post this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuYZRdlDKY4
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 25 April 2022 7:34:46 AM
Dear Paul,

Thank You for this thread and for sharing things with us.
And Thanks to Armchair Critic as well for sharing his
family story.
Your grand-daughter conveys a message that is clear
and insightful regarding war. Also Thank your wife for choosing
that video for us to see. Today is a time of rememberance
and reflection. Hearing "The Last Post" still gives me
goose-bumps. I always say a prayer.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 April 2022 10:10:23 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy