The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > A Modern Day Lynching

A Modern Day Lynching

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Some have described the murder of the innocent black jogger Ahmaud Arbery at the hands of three good ole boys in Georgia in 2020 as a modern day lynching, the case has been well publicised, and the three murderers are serving life sentences for their vigilante style killing.

Some will say. this sort of thing could only happen in America, but my question is what are the policies of the pro-gun parties on this kind of behaviour in Australia. Both One Nation and The Shooters Party have representatives with influence in Australian parliaments. It is difficult to determine One Nation policy in this area, as their statements are nothing more than a hodgepodge of confusion, but their leadership has been very pro-gun in the past. The NSW Shooters Party is more forthcoming with the following;

"(5) Support family and home protection, and continue to support measures increasing a person's right of self-defence."

Is this not what the Georgia vigilantes claimed they were doing, family and home protection, exercising their right of self-defence.

This Shooters Party policy is the kind of crazy nonsense if legalized in Australia could see vigilantes walk free after killing innocent people.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 12 January 2022 9:08:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When it comes to armed vigilantism in the USA, the lesson learned from the Rittenhouse trial is "shoot first and then say you felt threatened" as a legitimate defence.

That individual is now a celebrity, feted by ex-Presidents and right-wing commentators but when the popularity wanes he'll carry that fame like a burden for the rest of his life.

The cultish hero-worship of gun-related violence is a feature of American culture. Surely we can't be far behind.
Posted by rache, Wednesday, 12 January 2022 11:50:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

Australia is more influenced by America than the
UK. You can see this from the movies, media,
games that kids play, and so on. The anti
Black Lives Matter stance that has been taken
by some on this forum should also be concerning
as should the strong feelings expressed about our Indigenous
People's struggles. Then we've heard excuses made for
white supremacists groups, and the list goes on.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 8:32:34 AM
Ho hum.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 January 2022 8:46:57 AM
Hi Issy,

If I was you I would say ho hum as well. That policy from the Shooters and Hooters Party is not only stuiped, but extremely dangerous as well. This mob spend a great deal of their time whiteanting robust gun policy where ever they can,
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 13 January 2022 9:05:55 AM
Hi Paul,

Awww, I think that Is Mise is having a bad day.

What he meant to say was:

"Hum Ho Gaye Aap Ke."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hum_Ho_Gaye_Aapke
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 9:17:01 AM
I looked up the religion of Ahmaud Arbery's killers and could find nothing. However, I did find the following:

https://theconversation.com/protestantisms-troubling-history-with-white-supremacy-in-the-us-141438

The Southern Baptist Convention is the largest Protestant denomination in the US. They split from other Baptists on the issue of slavery before the Civil War. When the Supreme Court ordered integration of the public schools the Catholic Church integrated its schools, but Protestants set up private religious schools racially segregated.

The KKK recruits from the southern Protestants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_recruitment

"Bloc recruitment" was coined by Black sociologist Anthony Oberschall.[4] Bloc recruitment refer to "the way in which social movement organizers often recruit members and participants among groups of individuals already organized for some other purpose."[4] This strategy was advantageous to the Klan because it allowed them to recruit large groups of members from one source instead of being faced with the difficult task of recruiting individuals one by one. This strategy was also effective because it allowed the Klan to build upon the solidarity already in place from other organizations. The organizations that the KKK targeted for bloc recruitment were usually fraternal lodges and Protestant churches. Protestant ministers were offered free membership and powerful Chaplain status within the KKK. Recruitment also involved recruitment drives that toured the United States.[5] Members of organizations like churches and fraternal lodges, were easily accessible by Kleagles or Klan recruiters because they were already socially active in public issues through their involvement in these organizations.”

If one is looking for the social milieu in which the killers of Ahmaud Arbery could arise it can be found in the Southern Baptist Convention
Posted by david f, Thursday, 13 January 2022 9:56:50 AM
Yawn.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 January 2022 10:11:26 AM
It's always dullest before the yawn.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 11:51:53 AM
BLM has done more harm than any good it could have ever hoped to achieve !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 January 2022 1:12:11 PM
I hate guns.

Nevertheless, I realise that if we are to accept anybody's authority to deny others the ownership of what is dear to them, then we have no philosophical grounds to complain when they deny us the ownership of what is most dear to us.

Public spaces are different, so I see no problem if the public who owns those spaces sets any conditions of entry, including a no-guns rule.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 13 January 2022 1:47:54 PM
Yuyutsu,
Exactly. A lot of people have guns due to necessity but more have guns due no reason other than shooting at a piece of cardboard to satisfy their ego.
The whole stupidity of it all is that self-defence is no valid reason for owning a weapon.
Why do Police have guns then ?
Posted by individual, Thursday, 13 January 2022 2:41:27 PM
Nursery Rhymes in America:

Hickory Dickory Dock
In the States kids are issued a Glock
Before they're much older
They can own a gun
And then make outlines in chalk.

A Congressman's speech:

"Yep, all those high school kids demanding tougher
gun laws are just puppets of the Left!"

"Good Point Congressman!" from the NRA.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 3:31:31 PM
Well if that killing was an example of a lynching then there's a lot of it going on....

http://nypost.com/2020/08/30/blm-activists-celebrated-as-trump-supporter-killed-devine/
Posted by mhaze, Thursday, 13 January 2022 4:04:51 PM
God Bless America.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 5:19:29 PM
Why worry? In Victoria if the coppers suspect anyone of anything they can break down their door at 3 am and then arrest them for conspiracy or some other nonsense. Obviously only far (Is there any other sort?) right people and then straight into jail. Make up bail conditions to keep them in prison and then a secret trial and off to jail with them.
Welcome to Fuehrer Andrews nazi State and his own personal gestapo.
Posted by JBowyer, Thursday, 13 January 2022 5:40:25 PM
I was so surprised when reading the defence in the Arbery case in Georgia, how it fitted neatly with point 5 of the NSW SHOOTERS AND HOOTERS PARTY policy.

Issy, I know this is pure embarrassment for you, being a spokesperson as you are for those bloody nit-wits. I've always taken you to be a little bit "green", that's why I don't give you a hard time, well more the underside of the watermelon, a bit yellow or a pale whitish colour, but definitely pink inside. And I think you are sweet and juicy as well. Love dem watermelons. A lot of the old fruits on the Forum are as sour as Crabapples! But not you.

So how about a decent comment!
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 13 January 2022 6:45:52 PM
Paul OK , a decent comment
You have obviously done your research but what is that Shooter’s Party that you mention in your OP?
I believe that there used to be such a party but they’re not around anymore.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 13 January 2022 9:04:30 PM
Hi Issy,

This rag tag collection of odd bods who have a party with a variety of added names they have picked up over the years. Their exact name changes every second week. I refer to them as The Shooters and Hooters, Hooters being in recognition of the doughnut doers in the 4WD's. I think the Hooters got pissed off when the Nazis joined up. I'm not sure of their name at the moment, maybe it's the Shooters, Scooters and Ice Cream Makers, you're a member, a Grand Poobar of the party, or something, what's the name this week?
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 13 January 2022 10:12:01 PM
Paul,
One suggested name is the Farmers, Fishers and Shooters Party or FFS.
See I can be as serious as you.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 14 January 2022 11:29:02 AM
Hi Issy,

Shooters and Hooters covers about everyone. BTW what happened to the good old Hooters. Did they take a hard right turn and drive over a cliff? Now how about art (5), you do agree, yes, no? BBTW is your party affiliated with the Farmers, Fishers and Farting Fools Party?
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 14 January 2022 2:40:43 PM
Paul
Now you’re going to far, as the great Billy Connolly said “When yer over 60 never trust a fart”
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 14 January 2022 3:06:04 PM
Issy, I once did a pre-poll with a Shooters and Hooters member, he was a 4WD bloke, nice bloke. Then he didn't have much good to say about the Shooters, thought they didn't give his mob a fair say.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 15 January 2022 7:35:39 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy