The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australian Choice

Australian Choice

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 43
  11. 44
  12. 45
  13. All
Yuyutsu,

You brought up the topic of wombats on a discussion
about an Australian Republic and you expect to be
taken seriously?

Okkkay.

I'll play.

What is the Australian animal that most resembles
the Australian male?

The wombat.

Because it eats, roots
and leaves.

There you go.

Trying to cater to your area of interest.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 2:35:39 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,

More for you:

An elephant was drinking from a river when he noticed
a turtle asleep on a log. He ambled up over and
kicked it clear across the river.

"What did you do that for?" asked a passing wombat.

"Because I recognised it as the same turtle that took
a nip out of my trunk 53 years ago."

"What a memory!" said the wombat.

"Turtle recall!"
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 2:45:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu,

By the waY:

I think bunnies are ear-resistable.

And -

For sure - there's no bunny like you.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 13 January 2022 5:22:06 PM
Dear Foxy,

Thank you so much - I think it has been years since we last agreed on something...
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 13 January 2022 6:31:58 PM

Dear Foxy,

I am fully in favour of a democratic form of government in Australia.

Our current Constitutional Monarchy with the British Crown as our head of state is a hybrid form of government, a combination of hereditary monarchy and democracy.

However, I don’t think the Australian Republic Movement’s “latest plan” is what I should like to see implemented in Australia as it is described in the articles to which you posted links on this thread.

I tend to agree with the objection of the Australian Monarchist League, that the proposed Republican model “is just putting more power into the hands of politicians by giving them the right to select candidates. If you want to be voted on by the people, people are going to vote for candidates, then they should have a right to choose who they want to vote for.”

Also, I consider that a head of state freely elected into office by Australian citizens eligible to vote in a democratic election should be vested in the power to constitute a government representing the principal political forces emerging from a national legislative election, headed by a prime minister nominated by the democratically elected president.

In addition, I consider that it is indispensable for such a major transformation of our historical hybrid Constitutional Monarchy to a modern democratic Republic to also replace our old existing colonial constitution with a modern republican constitution including a badly needed and long-awaited Bill of Rights.

I see no mention of any of this in the ARM’s “latest plan”.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Friday, 14 January 2022 12:58:47 AM
When does Prince Andrew take over as our King of the Republic? Bring on the young dancing girls, Randy Andy's back in town. Its only the timing of Old Phil's dipstick that makes Goofy Charlie and not Randy Andy the next king of Australia. Oh the joy of it all.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 14 January 2022 6:16:44 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 43
  11. 44
  12. 45