The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is Australia A Compassionate Nation?

Is Australia A Compassionate Nation?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
We like to think we are, especially at this time of the year. On a national level we see a big supermarket chain accused of ripping off their employees for millions, simply to boost their already bloated bottom line. At an individual level I can only relate a story; An old lady in her 70's or 80's dropped a gift card in the carpark, a gift from her daughter for Xmas, she quickly realised, having walked only a few meters, on turning around she seen a young woman scoop the card up. Despite calls of "excuse me", the young woman dashed off to her car for a quick get-away. The old lady was philosophical about it; "Hope she needs it more than me". The irony is it happened outside the very supermarket mentioned in the first sentence. Was the young woman an executive of the supermarket, just out to improve the bottom line.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 13 December 2021 6:32:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australians are as compassionate as any other nationality, and more so than some. Some sections of the community are less so than others, and the Greens are a among the less compassionate. Their interest is not in the well being off a "70 or 80" year old woman dropping a gift card, but in but sending her back to work because she is a burden. Greens, 'thy name is hypocrisy'. Fortunately, only about 8% of Australians are fooled by them. And, by the way, the snatching up of a fallen gift card is not indicative of hardship; the person scoring the free card could have been a wealthy Green.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 13 December 2021 7:45:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

I think Australians are a compassionate people.
They're not perfect - and of course as individuals
there will always be selfish people in the group.
But look at how Australians rally round in times
of crisis - be it bushfires, floods, or any other
disaster. Complete strangers jumping in to save
lives either on our beaches, on our roads or
in general helping people in trouble.

Having been in hospital so many times - I've been
helped by so many caring people - not only by the
staff - but visitors of other patients.

I remember the time I told the person in the bed next
to mine how I'd love a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast
but it was a no go. Well that afternoon a visitor
of that person came and brought with them a packet of
corn flakes for me with the words - " Here you are love,
Here's something for you." And gave me the biggest smile.

And there were so many other moments. Moments from complete
strangers. I think compassionate Aussies far outnumber the
occasional mean-spirited ones. And when you smile at people
you always get a smile back.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 13 December 2021 8:22:48 AM
Yes'n no !
As greedy as many are they also show compassion on a much greater scale than others.
Posted by individual, Monday, 13 December 2021 8:52:30 AM
Dear Paul,

I forgot to mention the valuable work that the volunteers
do in our communities in all sorts of areas. This needs
to be acknowledged. So again yes, we are a compassionate
nation!
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 13 December 2021 12:08:56 PM
ttbn, not long back you were singing the praises of The Australian Fascists, masquerading as The Australian Conservatives, a fully paid up member you be, what a joke, a sucker born every minute. Try to poke fun at the Green vote, last election it was 20 times what your bunch of dills got. Fearless Leader was flying first class around the country, while the likes of you were paying for it. What was their welfare policy, oh yes, work for the dole, and a reduction for all welfare payments including your Old Age Pension.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 13 December 2021 2:37:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy