The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Electric Cars

Electric Cars

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
According to the Sydney Morning Herald it would take more than a decade to receive any benefit from driving an electric car instead of a petrol one. Up to 16 years, in fact.

EVs are more “emission-intense” to manufacture;
EVs are more expensive to manufacture;
By 2030, the average price will still be around $41,000;
The government has found that subsidising EVs, as their manufacturers and their pushers are demanding to make them “cheaper” (dearer for taxpayers who might not be able to afford one) does not represent value for money, and
the whole EV thing is a very expensive form of emission reduction.

No mention of the ridiculous claim of one major car manufacturer claiming in a TV ad that their vehicles in ‘the future’ (by 2050, like the other wild claims?) will actually improve the atmosphere as you drive them.

Unless you are a wealthy climate fanatic who believes the hype and the possible lies about what effect you can have on the world’s temperature by slinging your own money around, you should do the same thing you, hopefully, did with solar roof panels: ask how long it will take you to recover the money you outlay on an electric car before you can benefit from the touted advantages of such a vehicle, which is going to cost you a lot more than a petrol one initially.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 11 October 2021 8:42:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't care what powers the engine so long as the car has no computers onboard and I remain its driver.

For now I must do with old cars: if and when a new car comes out that is indeed just electric rather than electronic, then I will go for it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 11 October 2021 9:37:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It takes time for all new innovations to be fully
accepted for a variety of reasons. When cars first
came - they were looked at with some apprehension.
I remember my
gran thinking radio was a miracle. My husband
saying he'd never watch television. People
not trusting plane travel, (many still don't).
and so on. But with time we all move on. Who knows
what further "miracles" await us?

I confess that I'm not too keen on "electric" cars,
yet.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 11 October 2021 9:53:08 AM
Yuyutsu,

I know how you feel. I had to buy another car recently, and it has what looks like a TV screen with all sorts of unnecessary information on it. I tolerated the distraction (they should be banned as with mobile phones while driving) for a while, then switched it off for good. The only useful thing, the reversing camera, still works. and I can chose who I back over.

I can't see EV's being the big deal that is claimed. I will certainly never own one. I will be one of the 'poorer' people who won't be conned into spending money on gadgets that will make no difference whatever to the world's climate.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 11 October 2021 10:31:50 AM
yep, my touchscreen radio does not work, would rather old style radios any day.

went after just three years in brand new subaru.

I would really love to know more about what happens to old batteries from these new cars, as I would old solar panels.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 11 October 2021 1:19:05 PM
On average it is 85,000 Kilometers before the total emissions from manufacturing & driving a battery powered car are equaled by an ICE car. Of course that is about the time that it requires new batteries, if it is to be used for longer.

The rare earth minerals required to make those new batteries are hugely toxic in their mining & refining, so a no win situation. They are also so expensive that battery cars are likely to be scrapped because new batteries cost more than the car is worth, unlike ICE cars which can go for decades.

Incidentally General Motors have told owners to keep their Chevy Bolt at least 25 Ft from anything valuable, due to their tendency to self ignite. GM have spent over a billion dollars in recalls, trying to cure it of this habit.

Don't fall for the story that batteries will get cheaper. I use the same tech batteries in my remote control planes. Those that cost $12, 4 years ago are $25 today. Chris they are notoriously difficult & expensive to recycle, definitely not a proposition unless subsidised by the long suffering tax payer.

Yuyutsu you would like my 1980 Triumph TR7. Built from 2 wrecks that cost $1200 the pair in 2002, it has no electronics or power steering, & is a joy to drive. The only breakdown in 77,000 kilometers was the air conditioning compressor which started leaking gas. AC is an essential at my age in the Queensland summer.

The 2001 Honda S2000, & the 2002 Mazda SP20 are OK, but do suffer from ABS braking systems. Great for the incompetent driver, it does prevent the technique of flicking the car sideways & locking the brakes solid. This saved me from becoming involved in other peoples accidents in my Formula 2 Brabham, & the F 1 Brabham I drove, on a number of occasions. They do slow quicker that way, regardless of what the Physics says. I'm alive to prove it.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 11 October 2021 2:51:10 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy