The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is it right to make money from funerals?

Is it right to make money from funerals?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Paul,
Then it’s deep space for you, good choice.
Once beyond Earth’s gravitational pull it’s a one way journey for eternity, or until one’s remains get into the influence of something with plenty of pull and then it’s burn up on entry.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 24 September 2021 12:31:43 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Issy,

I was going to suggest target practice down there at Gunnie HQ. Good old CH a mate of yours "my cold dead hand" got his wish. Move S Green tops. Edward G what was his last request? Do you remember. I had some last night for pudding.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 24 September 2021 12:59:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a person who is for moving towards zero emissions, I was very interested to find the following:

"Body composting a 'green' alternative to burial and cremation"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-26/body-composting-a-green-alternative-to-burial-cremation/100486964?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf249845299&utm_campaign=fb_abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf249845299=1&fbclid=IwAR0AOQU_ndy_QPfW_GlnlOFGF0skD0IZQYuzJHROrt8XUKjKPSehZlE0ea4

According to the article: "Flame cremation burns fossil fuels that can contribute to climate change, and the process also releases toxic, mercury-laden fumes into the atmosphere and "Traditional burial takes up space in a cemetery that will use additional resources to keep the plot constantly watered and mowed."

Some people are setting up businesses around this newer model which I don't like, but composting in many ways is a good way forward, if done properly.
Posted by NathanJ, Monday, 27 September 2021 12:34:33 AM
My understanding is the ashes only last in orbit for a few months at most due to the LEO orbit. HEO would be more expensive and as David F said would create more space junk.
Posted by Canem Malum, Monday, 27 September 2021 1:08:20 AM
Is it right to make money from funerals?

I wouldn't expect anyone else to not make a living from their profession.
I'm not sure people should be buried willy-nilly on private property.
It's not yours anymore when you're gone.
Your family may sell the property and then theres bodies buried all over the place;
Alternatively, if you're well off, and own a large property should you be allowed to have a family cemetery?
- I don't know, maybe.

Now I've got a different question I want to throw out there, not to do with funerals;
- But it is a 'Is it right to make money off this' type of question.
So I'll throw it out there.

In QLD they built the Gateway bridge in 1986 for 92 million
Then in 2010 they built a second one exactly the same right beside it, for 350 million.

The stats are this:
Gateway Motorway – 1 per cent growth. Average daily traffic 2016: 114,000; 2017: 115,000

So let's say 120,000 cars per day @ $5 per trip
$600,000 per day or 219 million per year.

Now I remember in 1986, they said it'll only be for a few years, and then the tolls will be gone.
35 years later they're still charging us.

Now here's my question

- Is it right to keep charging us once it's already been paid for? -

Once it's been paid for there's no reason to charge us anymore;
- But they still do, to me it's just theft.
They could've said "We're removing the tolls, it's now been paid off", but instead it's this:
"Umm, how about we NOT DO THAT and just keep on charging them. No one's ever going to say anything."

Well I'm saying something. Is it right to do that?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 29 September 2021 11:54:39 PM
AC, the ideal would be to channel "profits" into more efficient public transport systems.

In NSW without a mandate, in fact at the last election promised not to privatise, the Big Nose government is about to privatise the WestConnex road system, their mates from the big end of town at Transurben have got the deal. That locks the motorist into paying tolls for as long as there are vehicles on the road.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 30 September 2021 4:58:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy