The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Is it right to make money from funerals?

Is it right to make money from funerals?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Personally, I don't like people making money from funerals. After all a life is lost. I have trouble accepting someone living weekly at the expense of someone else's life. I don't have any time for flowers that will wilt, when they could be appreciated in a public park for all people.

I also have an issue with charities who seem to make a lot of money from funerals. They seem to play with peoples emotions. They seem to use funerals to see people contribute money and of course people don't know where that money is going and being emotional they are unlikely to care.

So, is it right to make money from funerals?
Posted by NathanJ, Sunday, 19 September 2021 7:16:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Nathan,
From the grave digger upwards those who provide a service deserve to be paid fairly for their time, but, I agree that charities should not; flower sellers provide a desired service for some so there is reason for them to sell their wares.
On the other hand some people request that instead of flowers a donation might be made to the main player’s favourite charity, I see nothing wrong with this.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 19 September 2021 8:10:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Undertakers are businesses just like any other and the work needs doing, so I don't see a problem with making money from funerals. But what exactly are the charities that seem to make a lot of money from funerals? What is it that make them seem to do that?
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 19 September 2021 11:20:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with Issy and Aidan. "From the grave digger upwards those who provide a service deserve to be paid....Undertakers are businesses just like any other and the work needs doing".

Nathan, are you referring to the practice of charities asking for financial consideration in a persons will, a common practice?

On bequeaths, often a will is not worth the paper its written on when things get dirty and it all ends up in court and the legal people end up the main beneficiaries.

As I say to the wife; funerals are for the living, not for the dead, its toolate for them. In our western society despatching's are rather quick and fairly low key. In some cultures, like my wife's, it a rather long and drawn out affair, starting with the first 3 or 4 days, then another ceremony or two often years later. Respect for the dead ancestors takes pride of place for her people. How do some feel about getting down on the floor and kissing a dead body etc?
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 20 September 2021 6:45:39 AM
Good luck trying to get buried for nothing. Even a pauper's burial has to be paid for. DIY is not possibe. Is there are competition for stupid questions here?
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 20 September 2021 8:45:37 AM
funerals are a part and parcel of our lives.
The costs involved can be large as services
are provided - from undertakers, to coffins,
to burial plots, to church services, choirs,
priests, cars and transport,
and even to the wakes and catering
that follow the services.

Some people take out insurance for these events
Others put money aside. Cremation is a cheaper
option. It all adds up. Donating
to charities instead of flowers is a good option
and can do good.

Is it right to make money from funerals?
What other choice is there?
Services are provided - we will
get charged for them.

In any case we do have a choice in how much we want to
spend - and what we want to provide for the funeral.
Most people will want to do the best for their dearly
departed.

So right or wrong - money will be spent. At the death of
a loved one - the question of money is somehow the
last thing most people stop to consider.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 20 September 2021 9:45:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy