The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Australians Overweight..

Australians Overweight..

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Been noticing a lot of media attention going around that Australians are one of the most overweight developed nation. Theres been multiple stories on the news and the Weight Watchers commercial going around that really caught my attention.

Can watch the add here:
http://www.letsgetstarted.com.au/

Interesting to here that there is supposedly 7 million Australians overweight and 1 in 4 children are overweight. That a third of our population. But what does it come down too? is Australian's too lazy to exercise?

I think the main part to blame, is all the fast food. I currently work in the city, and everywhere i go the fast food restaurants are filled up to the brinks. Our food portions are also massive in comparison to those in Europe. That a mixture of laziness does the body no good.

What do u think are the main causes? and what can be done to fix the overwhelming issue? Cause i do want my kids living in a healthy environment

Further stats are here:
http://144.53.252.30/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Latestproducts/4102.0Media%20Release12007?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=4102.0&issue=2007&num=&view=
Posted by chindia, Monday, 27 August 2007 2:08:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Chindia,

I don't believe it has anything to do with fast food or even larger portions, though these would have some bearing.

I remember the days of the big 'fry up', with a huge platefuls of bacon/sausage/chips etc,etc.,Fish and greasy chips in newspaper, fried in lard!

Australia had it's lamb chops for breakfast; woo hoo!

Immobility. That's the culprit. Lack of exercise. We simply don't move like we used to. Not only do we have TV., we are now sitting in front of THESE things! Our kids are obsessed with them!

We used to walk; we used to ride our bikes; we used to kick a ball; play team games. Most of us don't do this anymore.

A contributory factor is our emotional state. Unemployment, mortgage worries etc; the easy option becomes the easy option. Hamburger-TV.

If we don't look at the causes, we cannot deal with the effects
Posted by Ginx, Monday, 27 August 2007 8:33:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'd have to agree that its not just fast food but he lack of energy people have these days. People sort of get home sit down can't get back up. Stress contributes.
Posted by Clare, Monday, 27 August 2007 8:51:56 PM
GINX has put his finger on a kind of 'structural' aspect of the problem.

Using myself as an example here.. once I get into 'fitness' due to
a) Pretty good weather (I don't do well in the COoooooold)
b) Not tooooo much work on which overflows into non 'office' hours and impending deadlines
c) No major emotional disruptions, family, friends, world falling apart.

I find it easy to keep fit and enjoy exercise.
On the other hand
When work is too much for normal hours.. I tend to "slide" into the quicky meals-TV as a comforter/Informer and substitute for 'me' doing stuff; mode.

Then, once you lose your 'edge' fitness wise, I think "aah.. I'm out of the zone, no point in going for a run now, because I won't be able to keep it up this busy week... let it ride and just watch news" or something.

But the kids.....they have to have a passion for something to be active. If they don't.... like no competitive sport...there are just tooo many distractions... computer+games+internet+cyber social networks etc... and the only thing which moves during all that is your fingers on a game console or keyboard.

SOLUTION ? ..... we should all become Exclusive Brethos :) Ok.. that was for Ginxy's benefit and entertainment, but seriously, a re-structuring of our society would be needed. Some suggestions.

1/ Families need leadership... Rules.. possibly TV (and computer) does not go on until xyz o'clock.
2/ Conditional reward. "TV/Computer can be on for X hours if Y hours of sport is done. There is a device I saw on TV the other day, where it COUNTS the number of steps kids do, and then relays this info to the tube which then will come 'on' for a proportional number of hours :)
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 6:28:22 AM
I really do think Australian's have become lazy. There a scene in the commercial, when they stairs are empty and the escalators going up are packed. I see this on a regular basis, and elevators are opted for going down a storey. With the advancement of technology, comes further laziness.

Ah, i think its quite often that parents should provide a healthy lifestyle for their kids at a early age. My work colleagues often eat fast food, a bottle of coke and chips for lunch, and when i question them about it, they go "I'm used to it". Just proves that old habits die hard.
Posted by chindia, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 12:36:04 PM
I think most of us eat crap because it's so available.
We get busy and stressed and it's grab it and run.
I wonder how we'd get on if we ingrained it into our culture that if we're able to use the stairs we should do it.
I take a walk every night, not just for my health but because I have a dog that whinges incessantly until he gets a walk.
Homemade vegetable juices for breakfast instead of the usual carbfest
would no doubt work wonders but who has the time and/or the patience to keep cleaning the stupid juicing machine.
Posted by Goddess, Tuesday, 28 August 2007 4:33:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy