The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > TRUE RISK OR NOT TO ECONOMY AND HEALTH ?

TRUE RISK OR NOT TO ECONOMY AND HEALTH ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Cont’d.
While based on the Gold Coast I endeavoured to convince my local MP John Bradford, who put a motion in Parliament about FISH STOCKS. The motion was seconded by two opposition MP’s. Click Mr Bradford and see 3 of the last 4 paragraphs here: http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;db=CHAMBER;id=chamber%2Fhansardr%2F1995-06-05%2F0010;page=0;query=(Dataset%3Ahansardr%20SearchCategory_Phrase%3A%22house%20of%20representatives%22)%20Decade%3A%221990s%22%20Year%3A%221995%22%20Date%3A05%2F06%2F1995%20Speaker_Phrase%3A%22mr%20bradford%22;rec=1;resCount=Default

Its now 2021. During the past 15 years I have been based about 6 months a year in Solomon Islands, where in a remote area I have access to a canoe and reef diving and observation of ongoing serious and general fish depletion . Coral is severely damaged almost everywhere. Nutrient pollution is arriving from international waters, adding to local nutrients. Even in Australia there is gross ignorance about the ocean, more so about nutrient pollution and dire urgent need for solutions including low cost solar to pump nutrient loaded wastewater far inland where deserts need feeding to grow feed and fibre.

Any doubts or questions?
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 7 August 2021 3:46:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

Try this link to Hansard re J Bradford FISH STOCKS motion.

http://bit.ly/3Cs44AE
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 7 August 2021 4:09:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JF Aus, I don't know if you ever heard the advice to a bunch of new chum competitors in the Sydney Brisbane race. He told them to nip around each headland as quickly as possible, to get out of the stiff south going current, then sail deep into the bays to get into the back eddies going north.

When someone asked him how far to go into the bays his answer was, "If the dogs aren't barking at you, you are too far off".

A few experiences, for what they are worth.
Port Stephens to Broken bay, average over the ground 9 knots, with out the speedo ever reaching 5 knots.

Sailing all night north bound from dusk to dawn at between 4 & 5 knots, in exactly the same place all close inshore just south of Port Stephens.

Chatting to a couple of lobster fishermen anchored in Trial Bay. They were waiting for a lull in the south going currant, which was dragging their string of 4 or 5 floats on their pots out of sight under water. They had been waiting 5 days, & were hopeful of a coming southerly blow to stem the current a bit.

Up the reef, even with the South Easter behind it, the north going ebb tide is only about half the rate of knots of the south going flood tide. I have run into 9 knots of south going, but never more than 4 knots north going.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 8 August 2021 6:30:35 PM
So the Reef is OK?

I remember when Joh Bjelke-Petersen undertook a glass bottom boat inspection of areas allegedly damaged by the Crown-of-Thorns starfish and was happy to advise everyone that the reef was OK. His description was that it was "gleaming white".

It things are so great up there, let's have a report on what's been the result of that huge pile of money thrown at it by Turnbull.

I suspect the government is trying to avoid international embarrassment, considering their recalcitrant stance on climate change and the fossil fuel industry working in the area.

Here's how it works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6BW-mvkRjE
Posted by rache, Monday, 9 August 2021 1:33:15 AM
Hasten,

I admire the patience you sailors have. Also I am jealous of the pleasure you get from cruising with the wind and sounds and silence it brings.
Unfortunately perhaps my time at sea has always been with engines so as to go where and when as desired. Like keeping well away from the dog's. I have no experience sailing.
Underwater it's different again. When diving deep its common practice to follow the anchor line down. I have seen different currents stacked one on top of the other and flowing strongly in opposite directions.
Anchored on the surface the sea was calmz no wind, with no apparent current, but diving down to 30 feet the anchor line was at 45 degrees and pulling tight, down another 30 feet the line was in the opposite direction and pulling tight, and another 30 or so feet tight again in the other direction, and on the bottom in 180 feet there was no current at all, at the Birchgrove Park wreck off Avalon Sydney.
Imagine what submarines navigators have to contend with.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 9 August 2021 9:11:30 AM
Rachel,

Government and media should be more specific.
The huge lump of limestone that forms the actual GBR reef, is OK. But coral and other biodiversity alive on top of that rock is generally not OK.

The Great Barrier Reef ecosystem (GBRE) is not OK.
The GBRE is in big trouble due to nutrient overload, nutrient pollution, especially because the east coast of Australia sediment dispersal current transporting that pollution from all point sources, is not measured and assessed and included in GBR management science.

Very importantly.
The whole world ocean is in trouble due to nutrient pollution and ignorance of consequences. And greater ignorance of employment and business and economically stimulating win-win solutions.
Posted by JF Aus, Monday, 9 August 2021 10:02:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy