The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > TRUE RISK OR NOT TO ECONOMY AND HEALTH ?

TRUE RISK OR NOT TO ECONOMY AND HEALTH ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Have a lot of experience of the east coast & Great Barrier Reef waters do you JF Aus?

Please detail this experience will you, so we can ascertain if you have some knowledge, or are just preaching from the usual greenie hymn book of misinformation.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 6 August 2021 8:53:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JF Aus. The article you linked is behind a paywall, so I have only read the abstract. Even allowing for near-shore north flowing currents, I do not buy your suggestion that urban pollution from, say, Sydney and Brisbane gets to the reef. First, sediment carried north would be dumped along the way to form sanddunes and sand islands. Sand grains move by saltation; they are lifted up then dropped, kicking up the grains in front of them. I suspect that a lot of pollution would be buried in the sediments in the process. Second, most damage (at least bleaching) has been at the north end of the reef; if the damage was due to pollution from the south, you'd expect the south end to be more effected.
Posted by Cossomby, Saturday, 7 August 2021 1:13:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Throughout history, political movements have asserted that society is facing an unprecedented crisis, and the only way to get resolution is to vote for them - hand control over to them. Carbon Dioxide induced climate change is just one such ‘crisis’. Lots of ‘crises’ have been promoted by the LEFT over the past 50 years - economic inequality; peak oil; overpopulation; mass starvation; global cooling in the 1960’s, and now global warming. The LEFT has promoted all these mythical crises, exaggerated them. They blame capitalism, and claim that to survive, we have to adopt Marxist policies involving government control and redistribution of wealth.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 7 August 2021 11:04:04 AM
Cossomby,

Search: The Sediment Dispersal System on the Southeast Margin of Australia

That Abstract does not refer to dissolved nutrients bonded to fresh water in fresher ocean surface water driven northwards by those prevailing winds.
Nutrients bond to fresh water and remain bonded until taken up. Cape York is downstream from Sydney and even Tasmania, the GBR in between.
Prevailing SE wind energy forms waves and current that transports heavy sand AND fresher surface water northwards.

The severe damage to GBR northerly coral followed extensive excavation and dumping of spoil in GBR lagoon waters off Gladstone during the expansion and deepening of Gladstone Harbour. The resuspended spoil and coastal sediment dispersal system nutrient level total was not measured scientifically.

Excavated solid nutrient resuspended matter does become sediment again, and sudden resuspension during a storm or cyclone can cause a spike in nutrient overload and algae and hypoxia and eutrophication, in spots or covering an area, even years later.
Algae produce oxygen but at night or under cloud, algae take up available oxygen. Coral depends on oxygen. It doesn't take long for suffocation to occur.
I have observed and have photos of dredge spoil impregnated in a beach, months later during a storm that beach disappeared.

Bleaching also occurs in southern GBR coral however it was the big area of damage in the north that received extensive news coverage.
In the 1960's I don't remember seeing any so-called "coral bleaching". A long-time diver friend said to me several years ago, "we were lucky to see it the way it was".
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 7 August 2021 11:29:13 AM
Hasbeen,

I will reply at length here because I think you have considerable sailing experience and now seek proper explanation.

I began freediving in 1954 at age 11 in Sydney Harbour, my dive mate is still alive and well, a witness if needed.
I began exploring the GBR while assisting Ron Taylor and a friend making underwater films.
In 1971 I dived the Atlantic coast of Spain and Morocco, and the Mediterranean, always exploring the ecosystems.
In about 1972 the director of the Australian Museum asked me to build the research station at Lizard Island but I declined and went into partnership aboard an American marine research vessel, to co-produce underwater films. I joined the ship at Cairns and from Sydney went to Lord Howe Island and back to Sydney and then Solomon Islands assisting with two Australian Museum - National Geographic expeditions. We explored waters of New Caledonia and the New Hebrides.
While returning to Sydney from Lord Howe during 1973 the ships owner/skipper asked me to check the ships position as his sextant showed the ship stationary over the bottom for 24 hours. My RDF verified that position. Importantly our ships speed was 5 knots, a 64 foot length, beam 28 feet, draught 5 feet, very susceptible to surface current. So the current must have been of about 5 knots.

In 1975, a family of 5 on a small boat went missing between Sydney Harbour and The Pittwater. Weather was calm with no trace of the boat or equipment or people. I immediately suspected the NE flowing (Lord Howe/Sydney) current had whisked all trace of boat and people out to sea. On two occasions during my life I have experienced 250 foot visibility in warm ocean current while it was actually touching the Aust coast. Accordingly I advised water police. A news report resulted with the Navy saying a current of over 2 knots could not exist in open ocean.
Continued………
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 7 August 2021 3:44:33 PM
Cont’d.
In 1985 also during August, another vessel with 4 men vanished, this time from Shellharbour south of Sydney. The official search was to the south to Gabo Island. I contacted police and advised the boat had likely gone northeastward.I was told the S&R computers know everything.
I chartered a plane and searched to Lord Howe Island, stayed the night, and next morning searched toward Newcastle without success, but three weeks later the missing boat was found there between Lord Howe and Newcastle. An Inquest occurred and Government search and rescue procedure was changed.
I had been put in touch with CSIRO's Dr George Creswell who later described 200km diameter anti clockwise eddies reaching a speed of 5 knots at the outer edge, part of the East Australian Current that sometimes flows out to sea between Sydney and Lord Howe island.

In 1977 I started production of my own film told/seen from the point of view of a giant black marlin. I designed a giant fishing lure and was towed inside feet first backwards underwater to film marling attacking and feeding for the first time. An American explorer invited me to the Bahamas to film giant Atlantic tuna underwater for the first time but those tuna did not arrive. Locals blamed longline fishing. This was my first insight to fish depletion. And yet again I gained considerable ocean ecosystem experience.
Following release of the film in 1981 I learned of malnutrition and seafood shortage among islanders in the film. It was hard to believe. I reopened general investigative research into world fish depletion, causes, consequences, impact and solutions. Off duty teachers at screening said the film should be in schools. Subsequently I mad live presentation to over 100,000 students in more than 500 Australian schools, while using the on-road tours to explore fairy penguin starvation and collapse of commercial tuna fishing at Bermagui and Eden.
ABC Four Corners interviewed me at Eden for a program they titled, “Learn to Eat Shark”. But now shark populations are also devastated.
Continued……….
Posted by JF Aus, Saturday, 7 August 2021 3:45:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy