The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > GBR in Danger ?

GBR in Danger ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14
  13. All
Now the Poms are sailing around the Black Sea, claiming right of passage over the Russians. Are we in for another Battle of Balaclava from the warmongering Poms. Bug Ridden Boris would, like ScumO', try to divert attention from his deadly Covid response at all cost.
Posted by Paul1405, Thursday, 24 June 2021 1:18:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Foxy if you will believe that acidification rubbish I have to say your research ability leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a mate in Mackay. He is the one who told me about the mass coral sporing in 1972, about 10 years before those brilliant reef scientists made their momentous discovery. Perhaps he told them too.

He started professional fishing of the Swains reefs at 15, in the late 50s, & is still doing it part time to this day. The professionals live out there, on their boats for weeks at a time. Some are pretty dumb, but others who did not get the chance for a good education to become marine scientists are every bit as smart as those who did. My mate is one of them.

He tells me that it still takes about the same time to fill his freezer as it did in the 60s. He is a pretty keen observer, & has seen it all. He saw the crown of thorns infestation come & go with no human action to effect it. He's seen seaweed infestations smother a lot of coral, then diminish. He has seen the coral beauty ebb & flow, bleaching & cyclone damage, all come & go. In 50 years a smart man who loves the reef & spends over 50% of his life living intimately with it can get to understand a lot about it.

He tells me the Swains are at near their best right now. There are sure to be other patches which are the same, & others not so good, but that 80 mile stretch of hundreds of reefs are doing just fine.

Just in passing, when I asked, he has never seen any researchers anywhere near the Swains. He reckons that at about 50 miles off shore, they are a bit far for university types to get from a good pub.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 24 June 2021 1:39:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen,

I go with what scientists and researchers tell us.
I'm not an expert on that subject but my research
indicates that there are many professional people
and non-professionals -
who are indicating problems and threats than there
are those denying it. And that of course is problematic.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 June 2021 1:51:52 PM
Public commentators - including Andrew Bolt I'm sad to say - are regularly telling us that we unprepared and would be totally incapable in any conflict with China. At least Peter Dutton kept a stiff upper lip in an interview with Bolt yesterday and didn't throw his skirt over his head in despair. He talked about what he is doing, and what he intends to do.

With all this yabber, particularly the pessimistic sort, China doesn't need to do much spying.

One thing that has been said though is that the average Australian is not psychologically prepared for the realities of the China threat. That would be obvious to the CCP, whose leader openly told his people to "prepare for war", and who is already engaged in grey zone war with us - another thing the average Australian isn't familiar with, or even aware of, too involved in, as they are, with 'football and meat pies'. The 'Holden cars' that used to be part of the jingle have gone. Now it's Haval, Great Wall and fake MGs.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 June 2021 1:58:26 PM
Australia's exports are many and varied. from
iron-ore and other ores, to gold, mineral fuels,
bovine meat, wheat, cereals, aluminium, wine,
to machinery including computers, electrical machinery,
optical, technical and medical apparatuses, and much, much
more.

We export to China, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, US,
to name just some.

Our yearly revenue from exports amounts to billions and
billio0ns of dollars. And all things considered we are
a rich country doing remarkable well in the general
scheme of things - all things considered.
We can only trust that this will continue with the help
of our powerful allies.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 June 2021 3:46:14 PM
Foxy,
Not all that long ago there was a documentary on TV that showed Indonesia being a World leader in plastic recycling.
As for "sure that Scott Morrison and his cabinet know what to do.", I don't think the culprits who cause the degradation of the GBR & environment in general, will let any Govt. act in the best interest of the environment.
The Greens are last people to do anything because their livelihood would be impacted once the revenues start falling form environmentally sustainable industries.
Imagine all the fishing tackle shops, the boat yards, the TV fishing shows, the fishing magazines etc. who make their living from this degradation ?
No, they'd fight ANY Govt. tooth & nail to protect the environment !
Posted by individual, Thursday, 24 June 2021 6:53:20 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. 14