The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Any Doubts That Universities Turn Out Idiots Removed

Any Doubts That Universities Turn Out Idiots Removed

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Paul,

It's quite easy to misjudge someone especially if
their viewpoints differ from yours at times. I think
if we were to meet each other in person we just
may realise how much we actually do have in common
on so many things. In any case there have been
times when we've shared quite a few thoughts
and did not disagree.

Personally we can't control what someone thinks of us,
but we can at least try not to deliberately offend
them. Now, I sound like I'm preaching. I don't mean
to do that - just sharing a few thoughts early in the
morning. Bear with me.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 June 2021 8:17:59 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cont'd ...

Regarding the students at Oxford? Perhaps they were
of a diverse group and wanted to send a message to
the university about allowing more diversity within
its ranks - hence their "protest" regarding the
Queen's portrait. I'm just taking a guess here.
In any case - originally the students wanted the
portrait. Now they've changed their minds. But not
all of them. Almost half abstained from the vote.
So it wasn't unanimous. We'll have to wait and see
what comes next. I think it was a silly thing to
do but then I don't know the politics involved
on that campus.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 11 June 2021 8:31:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Foxy,

I find the folks on the forum, not a bad bunch at all, that includes those of all persuasions. I give a bit of stick, and cop a bit in return or vice-versa, but all in all its nothing personal. My wife says I'm "uninsultable", and she says if I had to marry a pakeha it would have to be me. She tells me I'm passable (just) at times, scores me 51 out of 100, but she does think I have a few screws loose, as demonstrated by my participation in this forum. I have many interesting and varied friends and acquaintances from all parts, all backgrounds and of all social and political leanings. Then again if we were all the same it would be a rather boring old world.

Just on this topic, I note we have many, many photos, paintings including one of Te Aroha done by Australia's leading pop artists, and given to her by a couple of close friends, all around the house, its a Maori thing, lots of pic on walls in their whare's (houses), something in their culture. However there's not one pic of the Queen of England, or the Pope for that matter. Where have we gone wrong.

I see something in this, if the students had voted to remove a pic of Daffy Duck hanging on their wall, would some old crusty conservative in Aussie me making a ruckus about it, me thinks not. Why then? Its because the Queen represents the establishment, he believes in, that's what is seen as being attacked, and not just some dear old stick from the house of Windsor.
Posted by Paul1405, Saturday, 12 June 2021 6:50:45 AM
Dear Paul,

I didn't have a picture of the Queen or the Pope growing
up either on any walls. Although dad did buy mum a
Royal Dalton dinner set - which was a big deal at the time.
And we did have Lithuanian folk art as well - to which I
later added paintings by a few Australian artists. The
water colours of the Aboriginal artist Ronald Bull were my
favourites as was Mal Gilmour's stark outback visions.

Regarding the Oxford students? They probably were making
some sort of political point. But I don't think it was
a majority decision. And surely they could have come up
with something better - targeting the Queen makes it
somehow personal and unnecessary. She rarely interferes
in politics. And where would the UK be without their
royals? Think of the tourism they bring in. Good for
the economy. The royals to the UK are like the Disneylands of
the US.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 June 2021 8:07:38 AM
The upcoming monarch, now, should get treated with derision, and will undoubtedly stir the Australian republicans into action; even the Brits might think about it.

Prince Charles has done his usual politicisation of the Royals by calling, at the G7, for the same oppressive action taken during the WuFlu to be applied to climate change. Oh, they say, he knows that he won't be able to talk the crap of commoners when he is king, but the damage has been done. Charles has, most of his life, done more damage to the Crown than have Edward V111, Prince Andrew and Prince Ginger put together.

Future generations will look back on carbon dioxide-caused climate change as the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on gullible humans; if they are taught about it, that is, and if they are not too busy coping with the fraudsters and rent-seekers of their own age.

That the by-then King Charles was mixed up in it will be a source of horror.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 12 June 2021 9:45:56 AM
I don't think Charles will ever be king.
My bet's on Prince William. And for the Brits
to give up their royals? Not in my lifetime.
They've been through all sorts of scandals
in the past and managed to not only survive
but thrive. After all - "They're British
you know." (smile).
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 12 June 2021 9:51:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy