The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Case of Craig McLachlan

The Case of Craig McLachlan

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Hi there STEELEREDUX...

I've no doubt 'some' of this touching is capable of being construed as inappropriate by some women if, in fact, it happened at all in this instance. However, if it did occur as alleged, what was in the mind of the alleged perpetrator? Was there an intent to sexually touch the complainant(s), or was it, in fact, an act that was common to this particular show business environment?

When passed over for a plumb acting or performing job, some women in that particular industry, even when she's given the employer the 'vertical smile' we used to say in the coppers, can and do become vengeful and lay spurious complaints against casting directors and co-stars etc.

As you rightly point out in the pub test STEELE. Would, in ordinary circumstance, people act in this manner? Probably not. But apparently, in Show Business, it's infected with 'darling this 'n that' and kisses and hugs all round, all freely given as a result of a fine piece of acting, singing, or in some other way, entertaining.

It seems to me those who professionally engage in the Theatre or other elements of Show Business act and behave in ways that would ordinarily not be acceptable in other vocations. There again, I'm right out of touch with regular society these days, given my age?
Posted by o sung wu, Tuesday, 18 May 2021 1:45:12 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If you've ever seen the Rocky Horror Show live, you'll know its a bawdy, highly sexualised romp. I've seen it many times over the years from the mid 1970's with Reg Livermore on. I saw the mid 1990s version with MacLachlan and Red Symons as narrator. As an example of the type of things in the show, Symons comments on MacLachlan/Frank-N-Furter's looks and opines that all the women in the audience probably had a wide-on!! The audience was both shocked and amused.

I also saw the 2014 version which was even more outrageous.

Anyone who worked on the show and yet thought the environment would be like working in an accounting office is a moron or on the make...or both.

Again, the people who the ABC coached didn't complain in 2014. They complained in 2018 AFTER they'd been rejected for the next reboot of the show.
Posted by mhaze, Tuesday, 18 May 2021 3:03:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've seen The Rocky Horror Show multiple times.
I loved the show! However the fantasy of the show
should not have been allowed to creep into reality
on the excuse that "Hey, that's showbiz!
"Everyone does it!"

And why did the actors delay in coming forward?

Well, it's not brain surgery!

Isn't it possible that they delayed in coming forward
because they feared for their own careers?
That they didn't complain until afterwards because
McLachlan played the lead role of Dr Frank-N-Furter
and was an influential figure.

There was a real power inbalance between the accused
bloke and each of the complainants. The women were
McLachlan's juniors in the show and would have
worried about repercussions for their own careers.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 18 May 2021 3:56:46 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
worried about repercussions for their own careers.
Foxxy,
Doesn't that have hypocrites written all over ? Play along with the wrong till it's safe ? That of course is assuming they're telling the truth. Somehow that whole shambles smells of lack of integrity !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 18 May 2021 6:14:33 PM
Hi Foxy,

Haven't seen Mr McLachlan in anything, never a fan of "soapies" etc, so can't really comment on his acting ability. We must remember if found innocent in court, it doesn't mean the prosecution witnesses are lying, that's perjury, and the court can take action.

Its guilt beyond reasonable doubt that's required, and so it should be. The Forums 'Usual Suspects' because of their misogynistic attitudes assume the women are lying and should be prosecuted themselves. Well, there is no evidence they are lying, its the case that the prosecution couldn't establish "beyond reasonable doubt".

Just something, seen the 2002 movie 'The Tracker' recently with David Gulpilil and Gary Sweet, seen it before, better than a first view of most "soapies". "T" had never seen it, and was wrapped. She cannot believe the colonial attitude to Aboriginal people, well she can from her own people. Now there's some people who never fronted a court for their crimes. Please listen to DG's speech at the end. A real Australian, black or white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLNg6a6k1h4&ab_channel=MIFF
Posted by Paul1405, Tuesday, 18 May 2021 7:39:00 PM
Dear Paul,

Thanks for the link.

As I said at the beginning of this discussion - there
are so many sides to this entire saga - and so many
questions as to who to believe.

The fact remains the Magistrate found
the witnesses credible, but legally went with the letter
of the law as it applied at that time.

I don't think that any one's behaviour can be excused
with the old stereotyping of - "She asked for it,"
or "That's showbiz" "We all do it!" and "I meant no
harm," That's not good enough. Behaviour and jokes
and pranks at someone else's expense is wrong. We all
should know that and speak up when it happens, and not
allow it to happen whether it's at school, in the workplace,
in the home, or anywhere else.
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 19 May 2021 8:48:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy