The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Case of Craig McLachlan

The Case of Craig McLachlan

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I watched Craig McLachlan's interview on
Channel 7 last night in its entirety.
I was torn between sympathy and puzzlement.
So many questions.

It now appears that the actor is seeking $6.5m
in defamation against Fairfax media and the ABC.
He's also suing actor Christie Whelan Browne
over reports that he bullied and indecently
assaulted cast members.

Several other women have since come forward.

A magistrate in Melbourne cleared him of the
charges at that time - and now Mr McLachlan is
suing for defamation because he claims it has
ruined his career and his life.

He has denied all the allegations.

The behaviour on the Rocky Horror Show by the cast
and crew -
has been described as being "Lewd and crude" and
perhaps that's why Mr McLachlan feels he did nothing
wrong. He was "in character" as "Frank-n-Furter."
Who knows?

I am surprised that members of the cast are coming forward.

I believe McLachlan. He's convinced he's done nothing
wrong. That it was all "part of the show" and consensual.
I believe the women also. But why wait so long to
complain?
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 17 May 2021 9:23:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Found not guilty on all counts. His lying accusers should be prosecuted and jailed. Their sort are interested in money only, and their is no point in chasing them for damages. Proven sexual predators go to jail, as they should. Lying woman should go to jail. How lucky is McLachlan to have the love and support of one of the good ones.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 17 May 2021 1:48:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bigmouth Ben Fordham needs to pull his head in too. Using his special privilege of radio announcer, he has said that he 'believes' another female who has accused the actor of something, just because he "knows her". The bloody media is a menace. Police are the people to handle any complaints, not the media.

There is to be another bucket load of claims about sexual misbehaviour at universities on Chanel 7 news tonight. It will be interesting to see if complaints were first made to police, their reaction, and if complaints were not made, why not.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 17 May 2021 4:28:08 PM
Dear Foxy,

I don't believe him for a moment I'm afraid.

I take at face value that the judge described the four witnesses against McLachlan as "brave and honest witnesses" whose testimony based on the laws which applied then was unfortunately not enough to decide a criminal conviction. The judge was quite open about the fact that the verdict may well have been quite different today.

"Magistrate Wallington did note that she had to consider the allegations under the consent laws from the time of the allegations, and the result of the case may have been different if current consent laws were applicable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-16/magistrate-criticises-craig-mclachlan-lawyer-over-questioning/12985916

The judge also chastised the defence lawyers inappropriate questioning stating:

"On the issue of cross-examination, the court was not assisted in its task by questions put by defence counsel Mr Littlemore such as the length of the average female labia majora, or whether a complainant was proud of her figure or other troubling and outdated stereotypes of sexual assault victims,".

Hopefully the abusing community and their supporters do not take solace in this verdict.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 17 May 2021 4:54:50 PM
The misandrist Marxist-Feminists had a field day with this one and they're still crying foul ! Their dogma does not allow for male dialogue, save a plea of "guilty as charged" irrespective of the facts. I hope Mr McLachlan successfully sues the lot of these #METOO# wannabes. As one who suffered at the hands of the Rainbow Mafia and their ilk when my sons mother came into the fold of the Marcia Wimmins Refuge in Campbelltown nearly 30 years ago, I can say the truth is out there and all it takes is a brave person to come forward who knows the facts - not the concocted lies and the coached witnesses of funding driven media hacks, Hell bent on destroying another public figure. The statistics are and have been skewed for many years and why is it that despite their hue & cry about the "best interests of the children" being forefront, there are still no refuges for men suffering at the hands of their female partners ? We have a long, long way to go before equity and equality visit us. Quite simply, the funding for Mens Issues does not rate. Look what you made me write !
Posted by Albie Manton in Darwin, Monday, 17 May 2021 5:20:06 PM
I find it troubling that the magistrate who acquited
McLachlan on all charges apparently did so because
of an old law. Because as the magistrate stated - if
McLachlan had been tried by today's law - the results
may have been different.

So what does that mean? That McLachlan would have been
found guilty?

Perhaps we need to look at our laws again.
So that they are fair for all concerned.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 17 May 2021 6:11:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy