The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Preservation of species

Preservation of species

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. 35
  11. All
People are not animals. Only a Green would believe such nonsense.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 10 September 2020 10:22:29 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear ttbn,

A little elementary biology is in order. Taxonomists classify human beings as follows:
Domain: Eucarya
Kingdom: Animalia (That puts us with the other animals.)
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primate
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: Sapiens

Linnaeus included humans in the animal kingdom. What linked humans to other animals was our live birth and nutrition through suckling -- both of which are obviously female --, while what distinguished us was our mind -- typically considered as male by the scientists of the time, all of whom were male.
Posted by david f, Thursday, 10 September 2020 11:02:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
david f,
The koalas aren't that endangered. There are some threats to their habitat, particularly in the eastern states, but in Adelaide they're moving into the suburbs.

individual,
There's unlikely to be any damage at all from radio waves. If there is any, it's only a small amount.
Air pollution is a big but declining problem. Water pollution is also a big problem - particularly with groundwater where historic pollution requires ongoing management. Soil pollution is often related to that. A lot of the pollutants can be bioremediated (broken down by fungi, bacteria and protozoa) but that takes time.

I don't know which state you're in, but in my state (SA) they've already constructed a lot of wetlands for cleaning up stormwater. But I don't think it's suitable as the basis for a freshwater fishing industry!
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 11 September 2020 1:19:24 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Aidan,

I wrote that originally in response to an appeal for funds to study a particular sub-species of possum.

"Victoria’s endemic species of koala, the Strzelecki Koala, is the only remnant population of koala in Victoria and South Australia. Sadly, new research suggests that as little as 1500 koalas could remain from the original koala gene pool.

In 2019, Friends of the Earth Melbourne established a unique mapping tool for documenting sightings and habitat surveys response to concerns about population decline and species survival.

Can you support us to continue mapping Koala habitat in the Strzelecki Ranges and South Gippsland?"

I did not contribute, and the post with which I started this discussion gave my reasons
Posted by david f, Friday, 11 September 2020 6:55:39 AM
don't think it's suitable as the basis for a freshwater fishing industry!
Aidan,
great to hear SA is doing that. re the above, of course it won't be an instant success & like many other projects, this water recirculation too requires time to build up.
What many Australians don't appear to comprehend is that, in order to make a scheme a success, it needs to be brought to a workable stage first.
I can see canal developments that can be extended thus providing residential area mixed with irrigation, recreation, fishing, boating, campin etc. All would be on-going, snow-balling economic stimuli.
One of the greatest benefits would be an almost eliminated flooding problem. The urban roofing has now reached a stage where just too much fresh water is lost & polluting the ocean more than it would naturally due to lack of absorbtion. All that water should be directed west of the GDR. Once the artesian basins are flooded, water will be flowing permanently in many rivers which normally dry out now during the drier season.
Human pressure has dried up those waterways so, let's use another human pressure to restore that flow. It would also be a great opportunity to kickstart a non-military National Service. The majority of young unemployed people will welcome the opportunity to get out of the concrete jungle into the real Bush.
All it needs is adults who can think beyond their own Superannuation.
Posted by individual, Friday, 11 September 2020 8:07:58 AM
There are just too many people in the world. We need to reward cultures that manage their populations and penalize those that don't. Locke Liberalism encourages global population growth. Currently countries appear to be rewarded for population growth. Even the so called Green's aren't green- they are Watermelons. I'm suspicious of many charities- I'm not sure about the "Friends of the Earth" so I'd need more information- but it sounds like they are doing good work in Victoria. Even if people want to help it's hard for them to know who they can trust.
Posted by Canem Malum, Friday, 11 September 2020 9:00:09 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 33
  9. 34
  10. 35
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy