The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Health Care by Installments? why not!

Health Care by Installments? why not!

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Im waiting for my place to come up for surgical work on my knee
The leg is deteriorating while i wait for my turn, i continue to seek medical advice wich incurs a fee with most of this cost paid by TAX payers
it scares me that it may worsen to a degree that is irrepairable
what then, i wont ever be able to work , with only one leg..
do you think there will be associated costs to the TAX payer if im to adapt to one leg? possibly a wheel chair? subsidised Taxi's?
why cant we recieve prompt medical assistance / repair and pay it off like we do our motgages? or and car's etc?
Isn't it ridiculous?
If our bodies are impaired all else is affected, so why hasnt some bright bean set up a pay by instalment plan for those of us short on big amounts of cash to enable us to get on with our health care.
Does anyone think that by making people wait and suffer its going to cost any less to the tax payer?
Anyone like my idea of a HEALTH INSTALMENT PLAN that would run much like a car sale?
Pay a deposit then monthly payments thereafter..
Why hasnt it been done?
It might help our public hospital waiting list?
We pay by instalment for most items, isnt our health the most important concern of all?
Posted by mariah, Sunday, 19 August 2007 10:17:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is this an issue which stems from your reliance on medicare? If you were paying through health insurance or better yet, could take your own bag of cash in, I expect you would be attended to quickly.

Of course, even if you are on a medicare waiting list, your points about how foolish the government is in making you wait due to the future care costs which the government will ultimately incurr are spot on. I have an autistic child and have been aghast at how short sighted the government is in not funding any significant early intervention treatment with the consequence my child would likely (but for my family's ability to meet most of these expenses) be totally dependant on government provided care in the years ahead.

It is amazing what government will do to save a few pennies now, even though it will cost them big $ in 30 years (some other government's problem I guess). Of course, when strapped for cash, people sometimes put off expenses which ultimately cost them more because they couldn't pay up front, however, this government isn't strapped for cash at all, so it has no excuse.

Your "repayment" after surgery idea has some merit, but would offend those who think all medical services should be free.
Posted by Kalin1, Tuesday, 21 August 2007 1:03:34 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mariah,
You have raised some very relevant and salient points about the timely fashion is which you require your knee operation. For the sake of argument, Health Care by installments is simply a twist on words for Private Medical Insurance. Without a doubt, if you have Private health insurance, your knee would be operated on and you would be as good as new in no time. Insuring one's health is really no different than insuring ones home/contents, car, life, and income protection insurance. I wish you well in overcoming this obstacle and your needed operation is carried out asap. Good Luck
Posted by TammyJo, Tuesday, 21 August 2007 7:14:19 PM
hello Kalin and TammyJo,
yes good to have health insurance as foresight for possible future occurances, still dosent cover any old injuries and often wont cover immediate instances unless paying the premium rate.
Now u know thats not possible for many young or old regardless of education or breeding..alot of money IS luck-that is even to say luck of guessing which way the wind might blow next year...if you get my point.
Sure if youve always had and maintained medical insurance well and good, you do have a point. And a wealthy family as back up is well and good if youve got it. The point im trying to make-suggest is could it be possible, feasable and or workable to have a pay by instalment Surgery scheme, just like we have with our Mortgages and Cars (well some of us whom dont have wealthy relatives that is(and that happens to be the greater majority per population)could partake in such a scheme... it might even see more people invest in themselves rather than car's and / or property in the future and REALLY change the psyche of all of 'us' underdogs..and make way for a whole new generation of thinking. Yes or No?
Or are you only concerned with whats yours and whats working for you?
The way im seeing it we may be in for ANOTHER French Revolution yet!
Posted by mariah, Tuesday, 21 August 2007 8:53:50 PM
Mariah

What is to stop you from borrowing the money, having the surgery now, and repaying by instalments?

Sylvia.
Posted by Sylvia Else, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 11:57:38 AM
sylvia, i have already borrowed to the max regarding my mortgage
(wich as you ought know is only an ever incvreasing debt) I did think i made that clear in my first post/ mabye not.
There is an option possibly of borrowing against the equity of my property yet this is generally a lengthy process and last time i found i was still left with a surplus debt of $7oo not geared into the doctors account , inflation its called,(as from time of surgery to final appointment took 2and 1/2 years. Plus the $300 to process this arrangement of acessing my own equity.
So i paid $1,000 more than the initial quote anyway.
Many dont have mortgages and are not able to borrow large amounts of cash for surgical procedures,the young/umemployed/students esp.
so who helps them help themselves?
take note its interesting that the people with no idea of the struggle and delay in life these health hurdles cause keep suggesting similar solutions that are not feasible_like a poor man borrowing cash for medical procedures,Hmmm, i think he'd be told to go home and take painkillers-keep in touch with his GP and wait till his number comes up.
Any fresh interesting & possibly workable suggestions regarding health care waiting lists anyone?
Oh, and it was feedback on my suggestion of a 'pay by installment health care plan' that i would appreciate feedback on, thanks.
Posted by mariah, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 6:16:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy