The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Copyright of the Indigenous Flag

Copyright of the Indigenous Flag

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
The extreme right often wrap themselves in "the flag"
Paul1405,
A lot of indigenous Australians do that at sporting events. I think groups should be able to wave a flag they identify with but it should not be an excuse to stir division.
There's no question that the design of that flag has racial motive/undertone. That flag depicts indigenous blood shed at the hands of the invaders of this land, it does not infer though that blood had been shed in clashes between the many clans long before the invasion.
We can see what that has led to in the middle East !
Posted by individual, Monday, 24 August 2020 6:51:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Copyrighting a flag is as ridiculous as having an Aboriginal flag. One country, one flag. The Aboriginal thing has caused as much division as the Stone Age mumbo jumbo, actually invented in the last few years - welcome to country, and the nonsense of an Aboriginal "nation", not to mention the Pascoe lies.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 24 August 2020 8:56:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Albert Namatjira was scorched out of his inheritance by a scammer under similar circumstances. His was a vastly more significant theft than a flag.

In the end of course, the only winners were lawyers.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=albert+namatjira&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 24 August 2020 9:09:27 AM
Dear individual,

You write; “I'm afraid I can't fathom what the problem is with displaying the flag !”

There isn't any problem with displaying it. This only affects profit making enterprises. The AFL is certainly one with turnover in the billions.

By the way the red is depicting the sand/soil in central Australian where the artist hails from.

Dear Lucifrase,

They have fought for it and they have succeeded it getting it recognised as one of the three Australian flags. Or are you saying white Australians never fought to get an independent flag?

Dear Paul1405,

I would be interested to know the upshot of your wife's discussion with the group.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Monday, 24 August 2020 10:13:49 AM
Individual,

Of course, the originator of the Indigenous Flag, Harold Thomas, is Indigenous, from around Alice Springs. He was a lecturer at Torrens CAE here in Adelaide, in their Art School on Taylor's Road (now South Road) in the early seventies.

I'm greatly encouraged by his open and generous offer that anybody can make their own Indigenous Flags, but if they make any money from them or from the design, then they have to pay copyright fees for his intellectual property in the Flag.

That's how copyright works - you originate something, a patent or design or whatever, and you have rights in that product.

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Monday, 24 August 2020 10:37:54 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree totally that if money is going to be made from
the use of the flag - then compensation needs to be
paid to the original copyright owner.

I don't understand what the problem is.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 24 August 2020 11:23:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy