The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who runs things in Australia ?

Who runs things in Australia ?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All
Dear Foxy,

And I certainly hope that both you and David are both around in ten and fifteen years :)

Misopinionated might have finished his degree by then.

BTT: I don't think there are any surprises that Australia trundles along, with a reasonably competent and clean system of parliaments and governments, with a clearly stratified but comparatively mobile class system, and a fairly competent bureaucracy. I don't think there are anything much in the way of secret cabals which control everything.

So it's probably about as good as it can get in the circumstances.

God, I've become a centrist !

Regards,

Joe [Foulmouth]
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 14 August 2020 9:56:40 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
a centrist?

c'est triste.
Posted by david f, Friday, 14 August 2020 10:18:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

Dear loudmouth2,

Many thanks for your recommendation of Francis Fukuyama’s two books, the first of which (“The Origins of Political Order”) I managed to find the full text in PDF format on the web.

Judging from the 80 pages (of a total of 517 pages) that I have read so far, Fukuyama’s vision, ideas and vision of human development are close to my own understanding. He has accomplished a considerable amount of research and reflection and I look forward to reading the complete text with pleasure.

Unfortunately, I have not had the same luck with his second book “Political Order and Political Decay”. I only managed to find an abridged Google Books version with the usual numerous missing pages.

From the few sections I was able to read, I must confess that I was a little less enthusiastic. I did not feel to be quite on the same wavelength with the author as I was with his first book. He did not seem to master his subject quite as well or have what might be considered truly original solutions to offer but, of course, that is just a first impression.

I’ll give it some thought but might end-up breaking my piggy bank and buying it.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Saturday, 15 August 2020 8:45:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
https://diatreme.com.au/media/1383/drx_noosa-presentation_16-jul-2020_compressed.pdf

I wonder which Australians will get rich out of this !
Posted by individual, Sunday, 16 August 2020 8:22:22 PM
I hope more experts with an academic background advise government.
david f,
Well, do you know any of them to advise the Govt on this proposal ?

https://diatreme.com.au/media/1383/drx_noosa-presentation_16-jul-2020_compressed.pdf

Do you know any who could advise Govt on silicosis, bulk storage of silicone sand sandwiched between residential lands, dredging the Endeavour river, 3 trucks with trailers going each way every hour on a country road ?
If you do know some please ask them to give Govt the right advise. Thank you !
Posted by individual, Monday, 17 August 2020 7:32:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 19
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. Page 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy