The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Who runs things in Australia ?

Who runs things in Australia ?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

I have never met our head of state, Her Royal Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, any of our prime ministers, premiers, federal or state ministers, MPs or senators. The only elected political representatives I have ever met are my local mayor and the odd regional councillor.

I vote for people I don’t know and have never met. Sometimes they are elected, sometimes they are not. When they are elected, they don’t know I voted for them. They don’t know what I expect them to do on my behalf.

Nobody ever asks me what I want or what I think of proposed new laws, acts, rules or regulations.

The person I elected takes his orders from his political party, not from me. If he does not toe the party line, he risks exclusion.

But who controls and manipulates the political parties behind the scenes ? The economic elite and well-organised special interest groups, of course.

That’s not democracy. That’s oligarchy.

Instead of voting for political parties or individuals we don’t know and have never met, who, once elected, take their orders from their parties acting, not in the general interest, but in their own interests or in the interests of the economic elite and well-organised special interest groups, wouldn’t it be better for us to vote on the legislation they propose – and fix the rules ourselves ?

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 12:25:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Banjo Paterson,
Welcome to so-called democracy where a hand full of mostly academic-background "Experts" dictate to the majority with impunity !
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 1:58:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
;But who controls and manipulates the political parties behind the scenes ? The economic elite and well-organised special interest groups, of course.'

certainly agree with you on that one Banjo. And of course the media play a big part. Remember about 10 years ago Gillard and Wong were against same sex marriage. Remember when Abbott called climate change crap. Remember when Rudd said he was a fiscal conservative. There is little doubt that most don't hold to their principles if their power is threatened. Hiding behind the 'experts' is code for cowardice and appears to be the latest way to justify any action. Obviously the 'experts' are ignored when the lying narrative is exposed.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 2:16:57 PM
Individual wrote: "Welcome to so-called democracy where a hand full of mostly academic-background "Experts" dictate to the majority with impunity !"

Dear Individual,

I hope more experts with an academic background advise government. I prefer them to real estate developers, mining magnates, shock jocks, reactionary columnists and Rupert Murdoch. An expert with an academic background is more likely to have an objective interest, greater knowledge and be more likely to serve the needs of the general public than real estate developers, mining magnates, shock jocks, reactionary columnists and Rupert Murdoch. Why distrust knowledge?
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 2:17:25 PM
Dear Banjo,

I have met my local councillors. I have met several
state premiers, past and present. I have met my federal
Member of Parliament - and his opposition. I have met
several other MPs from various parties.

All in all, I have found that despite all the criticisms
the men and women who work the machinery of our liberal
democratic way of life are decent people who do reflect
public opinion - and at their best lead public opinion
and transmute it into laws that shape our society and
our country.

I have no doubt that our future is solid in their hands -
and that we can find the solutions that suit us to any
problems that come up, as we have always done. Provided
of course that we don't succumb to the siren calls of
demagogues, charlatans, and ideologues.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 2:34:21 PM
Dear Banjo,

I belong to the Greens. We are not supported by big money or unions. We have many discussions of policy in which the opinions of all members are welcome. All political parties welcome new members. Have you taken the trouble to get acquainted with any of the Australian political parties? There are avenues by which you can get your views known. As a member of a party you can have a voice in policy and candidates. Australia is a representative democracy. If you want a bigger say join and be active in a party.
Posted by david f, Tuesday, 4 August 2020 2:42:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 20
  8. 21
  9. 22
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy