The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What do you like or dislike about Western culture in today's world

What do you like or dislike about Western culture in today's world

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I am open about my preference for Western leadership for the world.

Hence, I am interested in what OLO readers like or dislike about Western influence.

I also argue that, in overall terms, UK and US hegemony for the last two centuries has served the world well.

I argue this in terms of their influence in various international institutions, the promotion of freer trade, sport and culture.

Does anyone fear the decline of Western influence? If so, why?

What are your thoughts?
Posted by Chris Lewis, Sunday, 26 July 2020 4:13:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gee, Chris, you don't ask easy questions. I think that the advantages the West has over the rest are evident in every aspect of life. Nothing is perfect, but Christian based Western civilisation is far, far less imperfect than anything else, and you don't have to be a Christian to enjoy it, unlike other systems without the separation of state and religion.

The West is Best.

I'm not sure I worry about "the decline of Western influence" because I don't think that the West needs to, or should, influence other systems unless the other systems want it. The West has already made too many mistakes thinking that they should Westernise the rest of the world, even when the 'rest' have made it quite clear that they think they are fine the way they are. Our most shocking and threatening 'blue' in this regard is China.

But, I fear that the West is under threat, mainly from within. We have lost faith in ourselves, and we can longer be sure that the West will not go the same way as other great and successful civilisations have in the past.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 26 July 2020 8:35:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Chris,

What I like about Western culture in today's world is
that we have well-developed ideas for improving our
world to ensure that we don't have the collapse that
has happened to past cultures.

Whether we choose to destroy our civilization or save
it is a collective decision - and one that hopefully
will be made within our lifetimes.

If we continue along the path that we're currently on
then we risk our own destruction. What I like
is that we do have the means to
reverse the destructive path that we're currently on.

We can divert unprecedented energy and resources to the
real problems that face us, including poverty, disease,
overpopulation, injustice, oppression, and the
devastation of our natural environment.

There are well developed ideas for improving our lot.
The policy proposals are out there. Climate change is a
serious threat and needs to be taken seriously.
Emissions can be reduced, inequalities levelled,
environmental degradation reversed, innovation
unleashed, and economies diversified. We have
the knowledge systems and the technology
that can be made to work.

Our world leaders need to start to take notice of the vast
army of experts who are willing and able to guide us
through the coming difficult years. A better world is
possible. It will take time, It will be difficult.
But it will be worth it.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 26 July 2020 11:07:46 PM
In the words of Joni Mitchell "Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone", & that is the problem with modern western civilisation. Far too many reaping huge benefits from it & putting nothing back.

Too many don't realise how good they & everyone else have it, & particularly why they have it so good. Too many are trying to tear it down, with no idea of what would be left to them, & the rest of the world.

Unlike Foxy I think we are at the "mobs of Rome" stage in western civilisation, recently highlighted by the black rights matter riots, The idiots don't realise that when they succeed in tearing down what we have built it will be replaced with something like the hell holes of Africa, South America, or North Korea.

These clowns don't realise it is hard work, not noisy protests & destruction that get results, but this would not suit them with not a single working bone in their body.

So Chris I believe the end is near, & will come in my kids lifetime. The EU & the US will fall apart, & Oz will become the almost white trash of the South Pacific. I believe in the eat drink & be merry approach today, as I don't think there is a future to save for or work towards.

We are the last & most lucky of all. We had a world where we could achieve anything we wanted through education & hard work. What a pity we have allowed the ratbag fringe destroy all that.

Ridiculously about the only thing that could save us would be a major war. It would clear out a lot of trash, & perhaps bring some patriotism back to the west. If we survived it would be a population with some meaning in their lives, quite different to today.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 27 July 2020 12:11:27 AM
The 'Entitlement' mentality & Greed are the Wests downfall !
Posted by individual, Monday, 27 July 2020 8:10:57 AM
Thanks for comments.

I think between ttbn and hasbeen, I have a useful start for a later article.

Given that the rise of Asia and authoritarianism seems inevitable, will the West survive or will it decline?

I am inclined to agree with ttbn. We may well survive and remain a leading light for humanity, but we may need to accept a declining influence in the world.

yet, hasbeen may also be correct. So the question is whether we should fight our decline, and also adapt at the domestic level to toughen up and contribute a bit more.

I think with the right leadership the West can respond.

But I believe the best thinkers of the left and right will need to lift their game, stop bickering with cheap points, and get over the reality that we are mostly saved by being a lucky country with what is in the ground.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Monday, 27 July 2020 10:12:03 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy