The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > 'Experts' Should Be Treated With Scepticism

'Experts' Should Be Treated With Scepticism

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. 12
  14. 13
  15. All
"Perhaps we should be locking up the infected,....." Even red crosses painted on their doors a possibility!

Going back to 1665? I know you hanker for the good old days Hassy, but 1665, that's even a bit rich for you.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 22 May 2020 5:03:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Tl: The court system does this - academics are sometimes called upon as 'expert witnesses'; for instance a biology academic might be called as an expert witness to talk about DNA evidence.

True, but the Court System doesn’t call a Biology expert to give an opinion on Astronomy. Does it. That’s what we see. Experts giving their opinion outside of their expertise is the equivalent of me giving my opinion.

Believe me Academics are entirely useless at anything outside their area of expertise. Most of them can’t even tie their own shoelaces.

Indi: Ok, then what is a Uni academically educated person who does no obvious useful work called ?

A Bludger, & there are lots of them. Navel Gazers?

I do like TL’s definition too. “Fine Arts Professor.” Good one mate.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 22 May 2020 9:28:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And yet ...... and yet ........

There are such people as experts - surely every one of us has come across such people, whizes at all manner of skills, with abilities we can barely comprehend. My poor old step-father had incredible skills with radio and electronics, good builder too, very thorough.

I've had lecturers who seemed to know their field up, down and sideways, awake and in their sleep. Brilliant. And plenty of us would have had experience of incredible tradespeople who could work magic.

I have every confidence in people like Brendan Murphy, Nicola Spurrier here in SA, Dr Fauci in the US, in relation to the Covid-19 virus. And if only other leaders had had the courage and intelligence to act fast like Morrison and our state Premiers, instead of dithering and denying - 'It'll go away soon, you'll see, one day it will just be gone ...." [95,000]. Or just now restrict air travel into Britain [May 21]. Infants running (or with the power and obligations to run) incredibly complex economic and political systems. Which need courageous experts like Murphy and Fauci.

Fauci for President in 2020 !

Joe
Posted by loudmouth2, Friday, 22 May 2020 2:41:04 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Loudmouth2: There are such people as experts - surely every one of us has come across such people, whizes at all manner of skills, with abilities we can barely comprehend. My poor old step-father had incredible skills with radio and electronics, good builder too, very thorough.

Yep. My dad was like that & only went to 7 Grade in School Ran successful Businesses. Taught us 7 kids all manner of stuff, even the girls. I've known a few others like that.

I've also known many Academics that know squat even about their own Subject. I had a Computer Teacher, (Professor) who dazzled us with with his knowledge of setting up a Computer 100's of lines of Code. (25 years ago) Then I stepped in & & did the same thing in 8 lines. He called me out later & told me never to make a fool of him again. I just told him that he wasn't there to impresses us with his astoundingly better than us knowledge. He was there to teach us how to get the Computer going & how to use it. He didn't like me one bit after that. I don't stand for uppity smug people.

I've had two neighbours that were Academics. Totally useless outside their own Subject. One couldn't even start a Lawnmower.

Experts in their Field, maybe, Maybe just a small part of their field. But a lot of these Academics are commenting on subjects not with-in cooee of their own subjects.

Their reckoning is, " I'm an Academic therefore you should take notice of me." BS.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 22 May 2020 3:21:04 PM
Even during WWII, no democratic government dared to exercise the control over citizens that they have in 2020 with the China virus, according to Christopher Carr on Quadrant Online. "Under the cloak of saving lives and easing pressure on the public health system, the relationship between government and the governed has been entirely reversed". NB: Entirely reversed.

All due to the unelected, not particularly well qualified, 'experts' and their discredited models, the politicians are fronting for.

While the government can keep people fearful (with continuing and regular 'helpful' and costly on air exhortations on what not to do, as if we are all idiots e.g) the government will remain in the good books. But once the suggestions that the pandemic has been exaggerated "gains traction'' - when even Blind Freddy gets it - public opinion will turn against the government "on a dime".

I'm not sure that Australians will turn on the government. I think that they are too acquiescent and lethargic to do that. They have become too dependent on big government and cheap stuff from China. They will probably continue to line up outside Centrelink, hooded heads down over Chinese mobile phones that they somehow always have the money to fiddle with.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 22 May 2020 4:07:42 PM
No, Australians will not turn on their governments over the coronavirus.

They have no reason to, and overwhelmingly support govt policy.

Great job Sco Mo and the experts he listended to.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 22 May 2020 4:40:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. Page 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11