The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Howard, immigration & electoral suicide

Howard, immigration & electoral suicide

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
From OZ Conservative:

"Could the Prime Minister lose his own seat in the forthcoming election? There's been much interest in the media in a new poll putting the Prime Minster behind his Labor Party rival.

But why would John Howard be facing this difficulty? The answer, according to an informative SBS article, has much to do with a demographic shift brought about by immigration. One part of the PM's electorate has become Korean, another part is increasingly populated by immigrants from China and Japan.

If it weren't for John Howard's status as PM, it's likely that he would already have lost his seat of Bennelong. As the SBS article explains,

"The characteristic that separates Sydney inner-metropolitan electorates between Labor and Liberal is not income, or even property prices, but race. The dividing line is an ethnic mix of roughly 20 per cent of the population. Any seat with more than 20 per cent of its voters born in non-English speaking countries at the 2006 census has a Labor sitting member today with one exception - Bennelong."

This trend is also obvious in Melbourne. If you were to compare a map showing Labor seats and areas of the highest concentration of migrants there would be a remarkable overlap.

It's interesting that the tendency of migrants to vote Labor is holding true even of East Asians. If any migrants (of non-English speaking background) were to vote Liberal it would be this group. They tend to have higher incomes, to be engaged in business activities and they have been favoured by the Liberals in terms of immigration, employment and education policies.

But it hasn't worked. They don't follow the Anglo commercial class pattern of voting predominantly Liberal.

So is the Liberal Party taking stock of the situation and slowing down immigration to preserve its long-term viability? Not at all. It's doing the very opposite. The current Government has almost doubled immigration over the last ten years to about 180,000 per year.

Why 180,000? Because this is the magic number that business wants."

http://ozconservative.blogspot.com/2007/08/howard-immigration-electoral-suicide.html
Posted by Dresdener, Friday, 17 August 2007 3:43:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How deliciously ironic that the rapacious greed of big business will spell the electoral end for their Liberal political lackeys. Serves the 'conservatives' right.
Posted by Dresdener, Friday, 17 August 2007 4:07:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
enjoy yourself, dres, they're also over-populating a dry continent.
Posted by DEMOS, Friday, 17 August 2007 7:28:24 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Demos

Unlike our Federal policymakers, I'm all too aware of the adverse environmental, social and economic consequences of mass immigration. Too bad nobody in Canberra is listening.
Posted by Dresdener, Friday, 17 August 2007 7:41:28 PM
"Too bad nobody in Canberra is listening."

And Pauline is their best asset. With her around, they can paint any objector as a racist and jack up immigration as high as they please. Then all their mates can profit greatly from selling shoddy housing at huge prices, forcing people to pay huge tolls to drive on roads, selling foul tasting desalinated water for $4 per kilolitre or higher, undercutting wages and conditions, etc etc. Oh, and yes, all those wonderful profits come at the expense of all Australians. Immigrants are as much victims as Australian citizens: This is about making a dollar from the degradation of this country. Racism is a convenient smokescreen to keep the dollars rolling in.
Posted by Fester, Friday, 17 August 2007 9:45:23 PM
If demography is destiny, then it seems that the Liberals have hung themselves. Interestingly, this mirrors the situation in the United States where similar immigration-driven demographic changes are also hollowing out the Republicans' electoral support base. I always thought conservative parties were, at the very least, interested in self-preservation, but it appears the market (big business) does indeed call all the shots.

Fester, do you think a Rudd-Labor Government would be any better? On the one hand, there are some people within the Labor Party who do actually care about the well-being of the average Aussie. Yet, on the other hand, Labor is the largest electoral beneficiary of immigration-driven demographic change. "The government should dissolve the people and elect another one," quipped the communist playwright Bertolt Brecht after the East German riots of 1953. Labor would probably quietly agree.
Posted by Dresdener, Saturday, 18 August 2007 1:04:08 AM
I see little difference in migration policy's of both sides of politics.
While a certain lady is attempting yet again to rise to the top of politics with another view it is uncertain she can do so.
Demos has a view we are big enough now and some agree but this is more than true of the world it self ,can anyone see it in reverse without war or disease?
Howard may keep his seat but it is now not a conservative one, I like to think all who vote do what they think is best for them or even the country nothing wrong with that is there?
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 18 August 2007 6:35:01 AM
hooray... AT LAST people are getting it and saying it :)

"Reap...what you sow" exactly.. the stuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid libs have wanted their cake and to eat it too. Just like the stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid replublicans in the USA. "ohhhhh DON'T stop that source of cheap labor from Mexico.. make a lot of 'concerned noise' and look like ur DOing something but for goodness sake..our economic well being depends on being able to exploit these people"

But then,... when the 'cheap labor' votes against them, and SUDDENLY the Democrats (or Labor) start increasing wages and conditions to what is deemed 'fair' then..suddenly the economic viability of the structures which depended on the cheap labor is DEAD.

Which leads to the obvious issue of 'WHY THE HELL ALLOW UNFAIR PRACTICES' in the beginning ? haaah... the simple answer is:

-short sighted GREEEEEEED.

PAULINE should be ranting against this, as well as the 'other' issue currently on her agenda. But..then in a frenzy of futile self preservation all and sundry will declare her "racist" etc :) and do another 'job' on her.

Oh..I forgot stuuuuuuuuuuuuupid labor :) can't leave them out of this diatribe.. what will they get ? aah..they (actually 'we' who vote for them) we will suddenly wake up to discover that our country and its policies are controlled by a small number of marginal seats which are in turn controlled by small numbers of well organized and politically savvy migrants.

Errr..what was that Dresdener stated above about 20% migrant populations and "Labor" sitting members ? I think..its called.. A FACT.

It is not 'electoral' suicide we should worry about, its NATIONAL/CULTURAL SUICIDE.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 18 August 2007 7:10:26 AM
David
Well said- You know I raised the issue that the Governments- please note I said " Governments' not Government are looking at making Australia a Ritual Slaughter country in the name of allah.

Dont get me wrong I have many Muslim friends David who find themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. They can not object despite the fact they do because they HAVE to put the rules of Islam and Allah first.
So was it fair to bring them here in the first place.?
Sure was if you happen to be a migrant.

Perhaps not if you are an average Aussie who likes their kids to say the lords prayer at school and visit Santa at the shopping centers.
We must all be very very careful NOT to blame the Muslim people living here.
This belongs at the feet of our leaders on both sides.

After all it is NOT them that make our laws but the Government.

Rudds certainly not objecting either and I think this thread gives people a better idea who not to vote for if we want to try to keep any of our standards in Australia.
Yes Labour certainly do get a lot of votes from migrants.
Will you support them or perhaps Pauline who said over and over again - We DONT have the water apart from many other things she was purposly mis quoted on.

She did warn u
Posted by People Against Live Exports & Intensive Farming, Saturday, 18 August 2007 9:15:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Fester, do you think a Rudd-Labor Government would be any better?"

I doubt they will, Dresdener, though cutting the 457Visa rort might might improve things a bit. The whole issue is about the huge profits derived from immigration. The profits come wholly at the expense of all Australians and other countries, when you consider the parasitic reliance on skilled foreign workers, which our government engineered as a cost saving measure.

As for BD suggesting that Pauline failed because she had a job done on her, I would suggest that her behaviour has helped pro-immigration interests greatly. Ranting against Aborigines and Asians instead of arguing for the wellbeing of all Australians wont help.
Posted by Fester, Saturday, 18 August 2007 9:28:08 AM
It doesn't really matter which of the two major parties are in power. Massive and unwelcome immigration will not be halted by Australian political entities. Why? Be cause immigration creates enormous indirect wealth for huge American corporations. In short, Australia is being used as a giant quarry to prop up the mighty US war machine.

Both Liberal and Labor are in the service of the CIA. They have been for a very long time. Remember the Whitlam dismissal? All organised by the CIA by clever use of what became known as the "loans affair."
Remember how Bob Hawke announced he'd look into closing down Pine Gap? Nope, maybe you're a bit too young? Hawke was taken for a 'tour' of Pine Gap, no doubt by CIA operatives and the whole issue suddenly disappeared.

Think I'm a little paranoid? Well, maybe I am, but take a look at this link to the Whitlam affair if you have the time. It's only one of many articles that can be found on how the CIA manipulate various countries, including Australia, to suit the American need.......

http://www.cia.com.au/vic/cia.2.txt

Interesting to note how towards the bottom of the article of how the Pacific Fleet was ready to bomb an Australian city to put an end to the Whitlam Government.

We may as well forget about playing politics in this country. A few individuals can do nothing to break the ties to the "mother ship" which is the US of A.
Posted by Aime, Saturday, 18 August 2007 11:18:02 AM
Fester.. I think Pauline 'lost her job' for 2 reasons.

1/ She speaks with foot in mouth.. a striking appearance but not a fluent speaker on anything (hard to listen to, lots of hesitation etc)

2/ She did have a 'job' done on her by all sides. The "left" was just the 'attack dog', but they served the interests of the Right also.

I'm going to try to contact her about some strategic methods which might make her look less of a dill.

Aime.. that article about the CIA is quite understandable, and the shocking idea of a general strike and union takeover is just as shocking...in the same article.

It just serves to underline how CLOSE we are to being consumed in an orgy of power grabbing by any side which thinks it has the numbers or the strategic positioning... on infrastructure or resources.

I cannot wait for my first encounter with the ETU on the issue of their (in my view)RACIST, ANTI-AUSTRALIAN SUPPORT FOR TERRORISM... which is how I feel about them.
I'm getting to know an ETU bloke at the moment, but I can't really say how...but there will be.. a demo at the ETU office in due course declaring our opinion that they are racist, greedy, treacherous and supportive of extremists.
Posted by BOAZ_David, Saturday, 18 August 2007 12:14:03 PM
Fester,
While I tend to agree with your first para, you are wrong in your comments about Pauline Hanson. It is clear that you, and others, have been influenced by the spin of Governments, major political parties and other self interest persons. Pauline never 'ranted' against aborigines or Asians. If you actually took note of what she said you will see that she spoke against the Governments policies and not the Asians or aboriginals themselves.

Like Boaz said they did a 'job' on her because she was a threat to them and their cosy undemocratic two party system. Both the Feds and the Qld Government were involved in railroading her. We need more Pauline Hansons to show up the short comings of our politicians.

If you look at one issue she is currently pushing, FGM. There have been reports to Governments as far back as 1994 about people sending girls overseas to be 'done', FGM carried out here and even some doctors being involved. What has Governments done? nothing and agreed that it will increase. I asked my State Minister for Health why no one has ever been charged with FGM, although fresh evidence comes available at Hospital casuality departments. The answer was we are educating the most likely communities and there is cultural sensitivity.

Fair dinkum!. The parents are having pieces of flesh hacked off Australian girls, maybe on the kitchen table, and the Government is concerned about cultural sensitivity. It is traumatic for the girls and in some countries up to a third of the victims die. Recently 2 girls died in Egypt, where it was done in hospitals.

The hypocracy is great. Now and then there is a blitz and prosecutions on those carrying out their cultural activity of cockfighting, but nothing about FGM. Our Governments give tacit approval to this torturous practice.

Pauline is right to raise the issue, and other matters the Governments would rather not be exposed.

On high immigrstion. Both major parties are in the pockets of big business who want high immigration. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
Posted by Banjo, Saturday, 18 August 2007 12:25:41 PM
David, you said........"Aime.. that article about the CIA is quite understandable, and the shocking idea of a general strike and union takeover is just as shocking...in the same article."

David, I'm not exactly sure where you are on the issue of the CIA interfering with our political system. Surely you're not saying you 'understand' that they had to destroy the Whitlam Government?

I remember those heady days very well as part of a small group dedicated to "the cause." I was young, naive and had no conceivable idea of just what I was getting myself into. I soon found out one dark, winters evening and I doubt I've ever been so scared in my entire life. My pulse is through the roof right now just thinking about it. I left a good career with the Government and fled Melbourne within a few days to go bush. I never returned and consider myself very fortunate to have gotten out when I did, but I'll always believe that the unions were right to propose a general strike at that time. Someone had to stop the b...ard opposition! They were destroying a democratically elected Australian Government. Such a shame that the difference between the two major parties has become so blurred these days.

The sad thing is, I can see that exact same thing happening again should the Greens take the throne later in the year. I've done a lot of study since my 'life changing experience' and found that nothing has changed at all. In fact those forces that seek to obtain power at all costs have indeed multiplied.
Posted by Aime, Saturday, 18 August 2007 7:45:42 PM
Boazy: "I'm going to try to contact her about some strategic methods which might make her look less of a dill."

I can only encourage you in this endeavour, old chap. With any luck she'll pay as much attention to you as she did to the other Davids.

Here's to Boazy's appointment as a strategic adviser to Pauline Hanson!
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 18 August 2007 10:09:07 PM
Banjo said: "Pauline never 'ranted' against aborigines or Asians. If you actually took note of what she said you will see that she spoke against the Governments policies and not the Asians or aboriginals themselves."

She did mention that Australia was "in danger of being swamped by Asians", although the comment was aimed more at Federal immigration policymakers than the Asian communities themselves. Immigrants shouldn't be blamed for our own government's reckless policies.

Interestingly, Pauline Hanson's comments about Asian immigration have been echoed in recent years by New Zealand's Winston Peters. He has claimed that New Zealand was "being dragged into the status of an Asian colony" and has warned of "Asianisation by stealth". Peters is now the foreign minister of New Zealand.

A host population can easily feel overwhelmed by the too rapid entry of peoples from vastly different cultures who unintentionally challenge a nation's sense of cohesion. It is therefore the responsibility of the Federal Government to ensure the nation's absorptive capacity is not overborne. In this regard, both Coalition and Labor governments have failed. Hawke-Keating were subservient to the multiculturalists and ethnic lobbies, while the Howard Government's immigration policy is being almost solely dictated by big business. Once a proud part of the history of Australian nation-building, immigration has now become an absolute debacle.
Posted by Dresdener, Sunday, 19 August 2007 8:10:35 AM
If SEQ runs out of water within 12 months, is the ethnic makeup of the population of any significance? This is about some profiting greatly from immigration at the expense of all Australians. I notice that Pauline now wants to stop Muslims immigrating: It seems that she still hasn't realised that the relevant issue is the way that immigration is being used to rip off all Australians, not the ethnic makeup of the immigrants. The proponents must be smiling broadly.

Divide and rule.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 19 August 2007 12:22:16 PM
Fester,
Overall numbers is one aspect of immigration. Compatability and social cohesion is another aspect. From my obserbations, the main group that don't get along with others, even other Muslims, are Lebanese Muslims. But Muslims have a poor reputation in most western countries for causing social problems. We do not need to import social problems.

NineMSN ran a poll the other day and asked if people agreed with Pauline Hanson that we stop Muslim immigration. 56732 (71%) said yes and 23417 (29%) said no. Seems she is not alone.
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:41:00 PM
Banjo,

A little hint, don't quote web polls. They are so easily rigged its not funny. I should know, I've written a few polling systems in my time.
Posted by James Purser, Sunday, 19 August 2007 2:51:09 PM
James Purser,
Thanks for the reminder. Journos are not the most honest people. Even I have experienced them tailoring a story to suit their, or their bosses whim and even, heavon forbid, make something up. Especially where there is no way someone else can check it.
Point taken
Posted by Banjo, Sunday, 19 August 2007 4:43:01 PM
"Compatability and social cohesion is another aspect."

I cannot see how banning a particular ethnic or religious group will make society more cohesive. I can see how running out of water could create anarchy. I believe that morality is related to the standard of living that technology can provide for a population, not its ethnic makeup. Push a population beyond the technical means for a given living standard, and those values change.

That might be why in China it is less than a few months from arrest to execution for crimes that might get you six months in Australia (executed felons also provide a good source of organs for transplants). While some might see Australia as becoming soft on crime, the reality is population growth stresses creating a shortage of funds to keep felons imprisoned humanely (drug prohibition adds greatly to this cost also). As a result our humanity is degraded.
Posted by Fester, Sunday, 19 August 2007 9:48:14 PM
There is a good chance that John Howard will lose his seat to the
member of the ABC party, err well ALP, hmmmm.
It will be interesting to see where Maxine's loyalties really lie,
with the ABC or with the ALP.

Any one who thinks that Maxine is an ALP candidate does know not
what goes on.
What seat is the wx man standing in ?
I haven't seen him mentioned recently.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 20 August 2007 11:04:18 AM
Fester said: "I doubt they will, Dresdener, though cutting the 457Visa rort might might improve things a bit."

I actually believe that a temporary guest worker program is preferable to long-term settlement. A decent temporary-worker scheme would give the Australian economy the flexibility to allow in workers as and when the economy needs them - if labour demand fell, foreign workers' contracts would simply not be renewed and the program could be cut back. As these workers would not be here permanently, most of the environmental, social and cultural concerns associated with high immigration would no longer be an issue.

As it stands, a great number of 457 visa holders are employed in regional and rural areas where the labour and skills shortages are most acute. In contrast, most of the long-term migrants are clustering into our capital cities where they are least needed. The Federal Government should be examining this anomaly, rather than importing more and more people every year without any real objective or justification.
Posted by Dresdener, Wednesday, 22 August 2007 4:48:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy