The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will Sydney become another Wuhan?

Will Sydney become another Wuhan?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Given that Sydney has more Chinese than any other city outside of China, Taiwan and the SARs, and that it's Chinese are highly mobile in travelling between China and Australia, will Sydney become Australia's 'Wuhan' for a major outbreak of the deadly coronavirus?

I am avoiding travel on public transport and wearing a mask if I must, not eating in Chinese restaurants and cafes or places where Chinese are handling food, and avoiding public places like shopping malls, libraries, movies, etc.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Sunday, 26 January 2020 6:45:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
>Given that Sydney has more Chinese than any other city outside of China, Taiwan and the SARs,
So you're starting with a false premise. Sydney's Chinese population is nowhere near that of Singapore.

>and that it's Chinese are highly mobile in travelling between China and Australia,
>will Sydney become Australia's 'Wuhan' for a major outbreak of the deadly coronavirus?
No. They're doing a pretty good job of stopping the spread. Meanwhile a vaccine will be developed soon.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 27 January 2020 11:49:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan,

OK, let's rephrase the opening line to read: "Given that Sydney has more Chinese than any other city outside of China, Taiwan and the SARs, and Singapore ........"

Regards your second comment I would say it's early days yet. Last I heard Australia has the same number of cases as the US which should be ringing some bells given that the US outnumbers us almost 14 to 1.

I also heard a rumor that Germany actually had developed a vaccine for this sort of virus some years ago and had offered to make it available to China but the Chinese refused to pay for it.

It doesn't seem to worry you so am I right to assume you will be visiting places where lots of Chinese hang out. I suppose you're sold on that old Aussie expression: 'It'll be alright mate, don't worry about it!"
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 27 January 2020 12:33:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Just a note, since the outbreak of the coronavirus about 5,000 people have been arriving at Sydney airport from China each day.

The symptoms take about 2 weeks to show up and the virus can be passed from person to person within that period when symptoms are not noticeable (apparently they don't actually understand how it is passed from person to person.)

I just watched statements from the NSW health minister and the NSW chief health officer on TV news and it appeared to me that they had different views on the level of danger presented to the community. Seeing that didn't fill me with confidence that they have it under control!
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 27 January 2020 2:30:39 PM
I've just heard of an alleged leak by a nurse caught inside Wuhan that things are much worse than the images and figures the Chinese government is releasing to the rest of the world. Apparently it is catastrophic with people collapsing everywhere and dying in much larger numbers and medical facilities totally inadequate to cope with the situation.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 27 January 2020 6:08:03 PM
Has anyone blamed Donald Trump yet?
Posted by runner, Monday, 27 January 2020 6:09:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy