The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Will Sydney become another Wuhan?

Will Sydney become another Wuhan?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
And straight out of left field...runner, scoring for the winning team, as he places
the ball between the "posts"...

Dan
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 27 January 2020 6:40:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I wonder if that hospital to be built in one week in Wuhan might actually turn out to really be a crematorium to get rid of the corpses infected with the coronavirus: kill two birds with one stone so to speak.
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 27 January 2020 6:58:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
runner and diver dan,

Am I right in thinking that both of you have a plentiful supply of The Wiggles in your DVD collections?
Posted by Mr Opinion, Monday, 27 January 2020 7:00:57 PM
Mr O you are an ignorant, insulting and stupid person. This whole thread of yours is nonsense and you know it. The Chinese are everywhere and to try and attach it to Sydney, for good or ill is just juvenile.
I assume you do this to wind people up so rest assured you will never see any reply from me again.
Posted by JBowyer, Tuesday, 28 January 2020 8:37:06 AM
I second that. Just go away OPIN.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 28 January 2020 9:57:16 AM
Other countries have many more Chinese than Australia. http://www.statista.com/statistics/279530/countries-with-the-largest-number-of-overseas-chinese/.

In the 2016 census 1,213,903 people (5.6%) identified as being of Chinese descent. Two in five (41 per cent) were born in China, with Australia the second most common country of birth (25 per cent); Malaysia (8.0 per cent), Hong Kong (6.5 per cent). Of those born in Australia, many have Chinese ancestry back to the 1850s gold rushes. If you met these Australians today you wouldn't guess this unless they told you.

The ABS’s most recent Estimated Resident Population figures suggest Sydney has 526,040 residents born in China, in a total of about 5 million; so about 1/10th.

But will Australia become another Wuhan?

No. Wuhan (11 million people) is the origin of the virus; it's unclear how long it's been around, and how many people may have been infected; but clearly this is in the thousands. Sydney is not the origin, so the virus has to get here from China. Given that just a handful of people have tested positive in Australia, it is known that they brought the virus from China, they are in quarantine, there are checks on all arriving passengers from China, we can be confident that Sydney will not be a centre for expansion of the virus as Wuhan has been. We have always been ahead of the world in quarantine control of diseases so we are safer than most countries with overseas Chinese population and tourism (the latter of course has shrunk because of this).

Why does Australia have the same or more cases than the US? Since in both cases the numbers are under ten, the difference is probably not statistically significant. Also, we have a lot of recent or temporary Chinese residents in Australia, a large number of whom would have gone back to China for the New Year Festival to see family. This explains why there were so many children from Australia in Wuhan; they were visiting grand-parents.

It's disappointing (I'm being polite) that this serious medical situation is being used to promote anti-Chinese sentiment via unproven rumours and innuendo.
Posted by Cossomby, Tuesday, 28 January 2020 10:22:57 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy