The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > What about the Horses

What about the Horses

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Surely people must have thoughts about the killing of horses? Not just race horses but recreation and working horses as well. I know that race horses are athletes but so are show jumpers, trotters and cross country eventers. There is no reason why recreation and working horses do not deserve good treatment upon death.

We now can,and do, trace individual bovines (cattle) from birth to death so there s no reason why the same method cannot be used for horses.

I hate the thought of more government regulation but I see it as inevitable. Horse owners will just have to pay for it and a reduction in breeding by regulation.

Thoughts please.
Posted by HenryL, Monday, 21 October 2019 9:01:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Good Job HenryL for putting this up.

Here's a link to the 730 Reports 'The Final Race'.
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/the-dark-side-of-the-horse-racing-industry/11614022

Anyone that missed it should really take the time to see whats going on for themselves.
I'm going to leave commenting on it for now until later, as I might be tempted go too far in my reaction and opinion.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 21 October 2019 2:06:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well I'm going to stick my neck out and say
how dreadful I think it is.

I grew up with horses. And loved them very much.
I read the 7.30 Report and found it appaling.
We should all be shocked by it. The industry is
breaking all the rules and must be held accountable.

No ifs or buts.

These animals have served their masters well - they
deserve better than this.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 21 October 2019 2:25:56 PM
Henry L you beat me to this subject, but my view may differ
Sack the fools who behaved so badly in that slaughter house, introduce training and employ only those who both pass and practice it
Racing Australia, in every state, some owners and trainers, are a total failure and must be forced to pay for that failure
BUT fact we eat meat, including horse meat, we export and make money out of these horses
Now more than ever [drought] we see the land can not hold endless numbers of horses
Be far better in handling them, tell the truth not deliberate lies about race horses
And above every thing ensure the method of killing is fast, effective and never cruel
But confront this truth, we kill chooks even pidgins, to eat, lets fix the problems demand better policing, but not serve the vegan cause by letting our heart get in the way of reality
Posted by Belly, Monday, 21 October 2019 2:47:31 PM
Henry L probably should put my hand up here,took part in many home kills for food as a kid [cattle/sheep]
Then age 12 went with dad to a cattle slaughter house [pick up meat for grey hound] trained by dad owned by slaughter house boss
Then worked at homebush then Sydneys biggest slaughter house
Never liked it, hated it in fact
See near daily pleas from animal rights to stop people in Asia eating dogs, love dogs, not well, and my dogs know it, stay close because of it
So my support for clean killing is meant but my understanding unfortunately, is we will continue to eat meat
Posted by Belly, Monday, 21 October 2019 3:04:22 PM
Belly,
Thanks for comment. The management of the works where cruelty takes place should face courts, as well as individual workers. Killing must be quick and humane. I have killed animals for meat and have killed animals (sheep and cattle) out of necessity because of illness or too low value to retain. It was never pleasant and had to watch vet put some horses down, then bury.

I have been offered shares in race horses at times but always refused, but what I cannot accept is that a horse wins a lot of money for an owner and reaches retirement and the owner sells him on without a care of what happens to him. Out of sight, out of mind. He ends up at a doggers for $380 or so and I ask how can this be so. Its all about money.

One must ask, where is the RSPCA in all this. I have seen farmers taken to task when trying their best during drought and I have seen a bloke threatened with court for tying a dog up at a gateway in an emergency after a gate was stolen, to stop sheep straying,for a few hours. Some RSPCA inspectors are like gestarpo and never should have authority of any kind. Yet where are they at the meat works where animals are killed. I think the truth is that big money is involved so big money talks. Big money runs racing so they get away with it.

If the ABC can get evidence of wrong doing so should the RSPCA.
Posted by HenryL, Monday, 21 October 2019 4:10:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy