The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The Aged Pension, The Elephant In The Room

The Aged Pension, The Elephant In The Room

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
The Federal aged pension was introduced in 1909, for 65 year old men and 60 year old women. There was a provision that you had to be living here for 25 years before you could claim the pension.
The average life expectancy for a male at that time was around 57!!
So, most men never lived long enough to receive the pension.
With this in mind, I donít think asking people to work until 67 is such an imposition, considering that life expectancy is now around 80 for a male, and work is now generally less physical than in 1909.
Also, going onto a Debit Card is totally different to food stamps. The debit card is not much different to a normal bank card, you just canít use it to buy alcohol or gamble.
Posted by Big Nana, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 6:36:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Such a retirement for Australians who have in reality, mostly contributed and deserve a reasonable standard of living in their final years.
Paul1405,
So, they're not the Welfare recipients now you previously accused them to be ?
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 6:38:10 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, only you Indy. The rest are just fine. I was only referring to you.
Posted by Paul1405, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 8:21:33 PM
Oh. He didn't really mean it now.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 8:23:58 PM
Oh. He didn't really mean it now.
ttbn,
Well, isn't that perfect git behaviour, makes a maggot look like an amateur !
Posted by individual, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 9:50:09 PM
At last we agree on something Paul. It is ridiculous to be taking large amounts of young families income for super at the very time they need to be buying a house to secure their comfortable retirement.

We don't need too many to pick fruit either Joe. I eat fruit rather than vegetables. This week I have had grapes from both the US & China. I'm a bit doubtful of Chinese produce, with their fertilizer systems, & citrus also from the US.

Pinching water from farmers for so called environmental flows, [what a joke], is a sure way to make us a major food importer. Importing our food is not something in the future, it is right now.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 11 September 2019 11:18:45 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11