The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > BUDJ BIM an Indigenous eel trap site added to World Heritage List!

BUDJ BIM an Indigenous eel trap site added to World Heritage List!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 87
  7. 88
  8. 89
  9. Page 90
  10. 91
  11. All
Paul,

it's OK, the whole thing is a send up, it seems it's a segment out of a "Mad as Hell" show.
Well, if it isn't, it should be.
Another story from the "dream time".
Boy it's no wonder they didn't achieve anything over thousands of years, They spent all their time, DREAMING!
To quote a famous Australian academic:
"TELL HIM HE'S DREAMIN'"
Posted by ALTRAV, Thursday, 22 August 2019 8:49:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi there ALTY me old sod!

As an honorary member of the 'Rangihou' tribe, I'm not all that familiar with them, nor is the wife, but we're joined up anyway. Our ancestor King Te Riki Kawiti of Aotearoa, you do recall King Te, I don't, but never the less he sounds impressive. King Te had a hui (meeting) with your King Corrangie back in the day, and King Corr gave our bloke 200 acres in Parramatta (river of eels).

Fortunately for us, and you, that land happens to be the local soccer field, knowing of your Itite background, you'd be a big fan of "wog ball" and all that. So as a special offer to you my forum friend, its only going to cost you a lousy 100 bucks a throw to park the Bentley down on the mud heap when yous comes to a game. How's that sound!
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 August 2019 6:47:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Paul,

Ah, those Ngapuhi ! Claiming a kingship fifty years before the institution was set up ? I thought Potatau was the first Maori king ? If the Rangihou existed as an iwi or hapu, they would have been just one iwi, or hapu, amongst dozens or hundreds ?

Or is this just a spoof ? Devilishly cunning.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 23 August 2019 8:49:29 AM
Loudmouth,

like I said, I think it's a segment out of "Mad as Hell".
Or at least it should be.
You know if nothing else OLO is a great source of laughter and levity to me.
It's the main reason I persist.
Anyway, they gave it a good try, and we all got a good laugh out of it, even though it's not the 1st of April.
Posted by ALTRAV, Friday, 23 August 2019 10:45:17 AM
There are generations who aren't laughing.
And never will.

Still we have to accept that there are people
who will laugh at anything.

Ordinarily
they are considered insane but they do have
lucid moments when they're just stupid.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 23 August 2019 1:23:56 PM
Hi Joe,

According to the wife, her Iwi (tribe) has not even had a paramount chief since the 1930's. The Kaumatuas (male elders) refused to endorse the next in line at that time, and then failed to choose a successor. There is a bloke claiming Chiefdom, but according to the wife, few recognise him as such, and at best he'd be something like 8th in line.
There is a Maori King of Aotearoa, but like the first king Potatau he's from The Waikato, tribes down there were not great friends with the northern tribes, and vise versa.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 23 August 2019 2:49:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 87
  7. 88
  8. 89
  9. Page 90
  10. 91
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy