The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > No Remorse: Same Old Same Old At James Cook University

No Remorse: Same Old Same Old At James Cook University

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
In April of this year, blogger Justinian the Great (Catallaxy Files 26.4.19) predicted that Peter Ridd’s (Prof. Ridd is the debunker of GBR gloom and doom on coral) victory over James Cook University would “not usher in a new era of academic freedom and debate”. Justinian thought that, rather than accept the court’s judgement, JCU would probably double down on their enterprise agreement to ensure that ‘no future “Ridd” case’ can happen. He was right.

According to Jo Nova: “JCU has no commitment to free speech; they’ve now REMOVED THE CLAUSE THAT ENSURED RIDD WON”. That is, James Cook University has merely recognised that sloppy wording on their part was why Ridd won, and by tidying up, they will be able to continue their draconian stance against free speech, and continue lying about the state of the Great Barrier Reef.

Justinian believes that the Morrison government will do nothing.

Given Morrison’s lack of commitment to academic freedom and freedom of speech in general, my money is on Justinian the Great being right again.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 29 June 2019 2:09:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Morrison’s lack of commitment to academic freedom and freedom of speech in general,

ttbn,
Freedom of speech means Academia can say what it wants but others must be silenced at all cost. Morrison is a wake up to that.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 30 June 2019 8:01:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
individual

I believe that Morrison just doesn't care about freedom of speech. I don't have a clue what he cares about, and I don't think anyone else does. The Coalition picked the wrong man.
Posted by ttbn, Sunday, 30 June 2019 10:08:03 AM
When freedom of speech is used as a vehicle to de-stabilise then it is not freedom of speech !
Many sort-of-educated people & that includes many Australians are simply not switched on enough to be given the privilege of free speech. It's like giving a loaded gun to a 4 year old.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 30 June 2019 6:30:44 PM
Morrison doesn't care about free speech ttbn,
Someone else is calling the shots for him.
There has been many conservative speakers denied visas since he became PM.

This is the reason why I was willing to preference Labor ahead of Liberals at the last election.
- And I tell you I can't stand the Labor party, but at least they were being unbiased on the Israel / Palestinian issue.

Morrison's a Christian Zionist.
So he'll bow to Israel and the Jewish lobby's bidding at any time and on any issue.
And all this political correctness, identity politics, hate speech and anti-semitic definitions;

All goes back to the Anti Defamation League.

The thing that annoys me, no offense;
Is that you whinge about erosion of free speech;
But blindly support the entity behind its cause.

The two positions are not aligned with one another and it makes me delirious.

They're playing both the left and right off against the middle;
And the narrative is always an extra two steps to the left so that they constantly shift the goal posts.
http://youtu.be/vgq4pgOkGG0
Posted by Armchair Critic, Sunday, 30 June 2019 6:38:51 PM
Dear individual,

You wouldn't know free speech if it bit you on the arse.

Remember this?

“Steel Redux,
Yasmin's comments didn't fall into the category of free speech, there(sic) were hate speech of which you pretent(sic) to be an opponent.”

Can you please explain why Falou's comments were not hate speech but Yasmin's were?

This should be bloody interesting.
Posted by SteeleRedux, Sunday, 30 June 2019 6:40:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy