The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > We do NOT need the senate

We do NOT need the senate

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Dear Belly,

«yuyutsu we must live with what we have, not what we want»

Yes, and what we have are the results of our previous actions.

Now if we aspire for a better future, then we ought to change the present.

We may not have much power at the moment, but at least we are still free to express how we want things to be. Right now in Hong Kong, the people are struggling for just that, to retain some level of democracy.

So people need to be able to have their voice heard and listened to on the issues that matter most to them, such as whether law-breakers should be extradited to a terrible oppressive regime elsewhere with a totally unjust judicial system.

Yes of course, people are sick of point scoring fights - but that is a fit description for the activities of the lower house, a totally useless and expensive institution where loyalty is only to political parties, not to the voters. While the Senate could benefit from reforms, it is the lower house which ought to be abolished!

You ask, "As the senate was formed to be the states house why has it failed": this is because nearly all members of the Senate (AND all the members of the lower house) are loyal to political parties rather than neither their state nor their voters.

The only legitimate "mandate" that members of parliament have, and for which they are well-paid, is to speak on behalf of their voters. They were never given a license to dictate.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 17 June 2019 10:39:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu hard to fight most that post, my party can cuck you for not voting as told
In truth question time is a flea circus
However yes change is promise not a threat
Posted by Belly, Monday, 17 June 2019 11:45:13 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
However yes change is promise not a threat
Belly,
In Labor's case it is a threat !
Posted by individual, Monday, 17 June 2019 6:41:00 PM
Dear Individual,

«In Labor's case it is a threat !»

But not just - in any party's case, but especially the big ones: if ordinary people get to have a say over the mechanism of the state, then this is a retreat for all political parties because they can no longer control our lives.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 17 June 2019 11:26:52 PM
yuyutsu, here you may think I have lost touch with reality
But I do not think the powers that be [whoever they are] want us to have any say in what takes place
Explain the Bilderberg meetings
Tell me why the UN has parts that claim to represent the world
EG Bank Health, the list goes on
Why the wars in African continent, why not step in and stop them, surely they drive refugee flows
Asking for a better way for westerners to be governed while we ignore the above is crazy
Posted by Belly, Tuesday, 18 June 2019 1:42:41 PM
Dear Belly,

«Asking for a better way for westerners to be governed while we ignore the above is crazy»

Well this is the topic at hand, which you presented yourself.
You could just as well say that enjoying an ice-cream is unacceptable while the African continent is ravished by wars.
Would your living on bread and water alone help Africa?
Would you cutting and bruising yourself help other countries?
If you have practical suggestions on how to help those who suffer through wars, then by all means, start a new thread on that. I am personally too old to "step in and stop them", but even if I were younger, I don't believe that it would help.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 18 June 2019 2:00:37 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy