The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Scam Warning!

Scam Warning!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
Problem with linux is it does not support a lot of programs.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 27 January 2019 11:38:15 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Philip said;
Problem with linux is it does not support a lot of programs.

That is true, but I have always found an alternative.
Common programs like Office Suites, Browsers, email etc are all
available, eg Firefox, Thunderbird email, spreadsheets (Calc)
Presentation (Power Point)are all compatible with each other.
For example I can save Calc spread sheets in all formats from the
earliest Windows formats to the latest Windows formats.
I send Calc spreadsheets to my son who has Apple computers.
That is not to say that some equipment manufacturers only produce
programs for Windows. TYT the Chinese radio manufacturer is one that
comes to mind, but someone will write a program for that radio.
I keep an old laptop for that radio.

What you said is correct but in practise it is not a problem.
BTW I have heard that you have to rent the Windows 10 office suite
every year, is that correct ?
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 28 January 2019 10:16:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz,
i'm totally ignorant on how computers work. What computer do you need to run Linux ?
can a mac be converted ? or is all windows based ?
Posted by individual, Monday, 28 January 2019 11:11:06 AM
Bazz Not sure about renting windows 10 office suite.

The big problem now all computers being made now will not be able to properly operate on anything but windows 10 because you can't get drivers for hardware etc. Except Mac but they will possibly follow suit.

People are being forced into windows 10 by the computer manufacturers, I would put any money on collusion between microsoft and makes.

What will happen when they get a monopoly?

I posted an article about windows 10 in the future needing a phone number, think about that one.

Now it can be hard for governments to absolutely link a computer to an actual person if you have to register with a phone number, they know almost exactly where you are if your phone is turned on and with some phones even if is turned off.

Use a burner phone number won't take long to know you have done it and I will bet microsoft will have a way to disable your operating system until you provide another number.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 28 January 2019 11:12:49 AM
Bazz: I have heard that you have to rent the Windows 10 office suite
every year, is that correct ?

No, not entirely correct. That's what Microsoft want you to do & put everything on Cloud. Not that I have anything to hide, but, if "They" want to know what you are on about, what better place to look.

You can buy Office 16, it has everything you need & more. Actually I only use Word. I have no need for Access, Excel, Outlook, One Note, Cloud or any other of the Programmes that come with it, especially the 3D. Grrrr…!

The first time Paint 3D came down it was in Chinese. When I tried to change it to English & my whole b(00@y Computer changed to Chinese script. Don't laugh, it wasn't funny. A nice Microsoft guy changed it all back for me. Thank Gawd. I did have a time explaining to him why I didn't want in Chinese though. ;-) Grrr…! again. We actually had to change it all in the Registry. Luckily I am familiar with using the Registry. It helps if there is a programme that won't uninstall.

Roxio comes with everything I want, in that way. MS Publisher 2007 is OK, just. I used to use Micrographx Suite . It was just the tops, but it's not compatible with Win 10. It harks back to Win 95 days. It still can't be beat, even by Adobe.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 28 January 2019 11:18:59 AM
Indi: What computer do you need to run Linux ?

Intel, or Clone.

Indi: can a mac be converted ?

No.

Indi: or is all windows based ?

No, there are a hundreds of varieties of Operating Systems Programmes. Windows is just one. Linux is another of which there are a variety of Linux based OS's. MS-DOS, FreeBSD, Chrome OS & Android.

These are not to be confused with Mainframe Computers which use a completely different Chip & Operating System as well. ig; Unix, Next, IBM, Lynx, Wang & DOS360 & hundreds more. These are used by University Research Programmes.

I've just learnt something. Go to Desktop, create a new folder, rename it. [ Godmode. {ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C} ] This brings all your Win 10 Administrative Programmes into alphabetical order in one File Folder onto your Desktop. Whoo-hoo…! No more flipping through different places.

They say a day you don't learn something is a day wasted. To-days not been wasted.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 28 January 2019 12:11:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All