The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Scam Warning!

Scam Warning!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
“ I got sucked in.”.

You certainly did, Foxy. That's the name of the game. We hear about this stuff non-stop, but still some people fall for it. You were “considering calling Telstra for an NBN connection” but you didn't, so why would you think you were dealing with with genuine Telstra people? Did you think that they used ESP to know that you were going to call them? Did you not think, “How would this woman making an unsolicited call know that my computer is being hacked”? You say that the call was about NBN, but isn't it possible you thought that because you had your intention to investigate connecting to the NBN in the back of your mind that you imagined that bit? Telcos do not connect you to the NBN. If your want the NBN, you go to your ISP.

The 'your computer has been hacked’ is the standard opening to frighten potential victims. Ask yourself, how could anyone possibly know that?

It seems clear that that all the public warnings, all the advice from telcos, banks and other companies about how they DO NOT contact customers is a waste of time.

I'm glad that you finally smelt a rat before it was too late. But, never, ever give anyone you don't know remote control of your PC. I find it incredible that you did that.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 January 2019 4:22:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Indy,

You're certainly right. The Telstra Security staff
that we spoke to - all had American accents - and
when I asked where they were from - they said -
the Philippines. I did rather nervous I must admit.
I would have felt much more secure dealing with
locally trained people.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 January 2019 5:15:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi ttbn,

I should have explained things to you more fully.
Again, my fault.
The call from Telstra was not quite an ünsolicited"
call. When the original call came through from Telstra
in December
regarding a NBN connection The woman told me that
she would be ringing us in January and giving us the
dates and times when both workers
from - Telstra and NBN would be in
our street. So I was in a way - expecting her call.
I was set up beautifully. Despite all
the warnings - the scam worked.

My purpose here is to show that even people who are not
usually gullible can fall for something when they least
expect it. As you rightly point out - we should
question things and in future I shall. Once bitten,
twice shy.

Thank you for you comments.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 January 2019 5:34:55 PM
I used to use Telstra. No problems. But I moved to an area where they missed out on putting cables in, and I am now with a small, locally owned outfit. All Australian staff. I'm not sure why anyone would need to have their internet provider manipulate their personal devices. Internet problems are not the fault of the PC? Wouldn't you go to a local IT person if adjustments to the device were needed? Internet problems I deal with by phone. No fiddling with any personal devices.
Posted by ttbn, Thursday, 24 January 2019 5:40:34 PM
Hi ttbn,

We do have an IT person that we usually go to.
However, in this case, as I stated - I bought
what appeared to be a credible story - and
fully trusted the lady claiming to be from
Telstra - especially when she said that Telstra
was concerned about the "security breaches"
on my computer that Telstra had picked up.
I believed her and followed her instructions
to the letter over the phone. "Click onto this,"
"Give us the number," "Put in the password,"
and so on. Click here, click there - and then
I was told not to touch anything that a "robot will
get rid of the hackers for you." All this while
they were downloading my files.
Dumb of me? You bet!
Lucky for me - I had nothing of value on file.
Posted by Foxy, Thursday, 24 January 2019 5:57:49 PM
Belly Quote "nasty comments from nasty minds are worthless again thanks"

** The following comment is what you are referring too.
Firstly the comment is in no way nasty as you claim.
Secondly you are the one being nasty by calling the person who posted the comment "worthless"

Comment Belly is talking about.
"We already knew about such things, Foxy. Amazed that you didn't."

Since you claim to be on a reporting binge (words slightly modified from your exact words) you need to report yourself.
Posted by Philip S, Thursday, 24 January 2019 6:39:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy