The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Scam Warning!

Scam Warning!

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11
  13. All
Bazz: Foxy, I get 4 or 5 of these "I am from Telstra---" calls a week.

Yep. Me too. I love them. I do like your, "I've checked all the Windows. " When they say I've got a Virus or a Bug I wait a few minutes, come back & say. "It's OK, thanks, I've just sprayed the computer with Bug Spray & they're all dead now." I've got a hundred of 'em. I love these people. Being "Old & Senile" like I am, it keeps me entertained.

Some times I ask them for their Mac Address. (They are supposed to be Technicians.) Most of them don't know what I'm talking about. so I tell them to type 10.0.0.138 in the Address Bar at the top of the screen, then, Press [Enter] go to such & such a page & the Mac address will come up. They say, "why should I do that." I say, "it's so I can see where you are calling from & the address of your business & your phone number." "CLICK"

Ok. What to do to stay safe. First of all get a reliable Security Programme. MacAfee's or Norton's. Use it. Get yourself a Second Drive. A big one, if you have a lot of stuff that you refer to often. That's what I do. That's where you put all your personal Files.

Never keep any of your personal Files on the C Drive. Your C Drive only need only to be small. A 250 gigabyte SST is great & fast. This is for your, "Operating System, Windows 10, Security, Word, Photoshop, etc." only.

The separate internal Drive, D Drive, should be large. a 3.5", 1 Terabyte, Western Digital, or such. This is where you can store your personal information & other Files, Like Photos or particular interesting answer on OLO or Forum that you can refer too later. ;-) if you need too.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 25 January 2019 4:37:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cont.
Then get an External Drive E Drive, about 2.5" 500 Gigabytes. Use this as your Backup & Recover Drive, only.

Hard Drives aren't dear now-a-days. Get some school kids or your Grand kids to set it all up, if you don't know how to do it.

The only time you are safe with getting help from your Telco is WHEN YOU CALL THEM. Your Telco will never call you, ever.

& don't be so bloody stupid in future. Grrrrr...
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 25 January 2019 4:37:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bazz and Jayb.,

Thank you both.

You've been a big help.

I appreciate it greatly.
Posted by Foxy, Friday, 25 January 2019 5:04:46 PM
Just hanging up is the simplest way. You are not going to gain anything by wasting time on them.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 25 January 2019 5:29:50 PM
ttbn, you are right of course but i just like the revenge for having to answer their calls.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 25 January 2019 6:18:39 PM
Jayb Not many cheaper computers have two drives.

I would doubt Foxy has a computer with two drives.

Foxy Press (the windows key) + the letter (E) you now have windows explorer.

How many little icons do you have?

Local Disc (C)__ Local Disc (D)___ Local Disc (E)

They are partitions not drives, unless there is one only.

Keep files on D or another not C and as Jayb says a small backup drive is most important
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 25 January 2019 6:21:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. 11