The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > are we a democracy?

are we a democracy?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
We get to vote for a leader of a party that, as history has shown, can be replaced overnight. This has been replicated multiple times within the last decade. Question? after we have voted, do we have a say in how our country is run? We vote for a party but the promises have been divided in their importance (obviously to the pollie). Is Australia truly democratic? Does the average Aussie get a chance to voice an opinion? Why does Greg Hunt give a stamp of approval to the health insurance magnates to increase their rates to struggling families, regardless of their multi million dollar profits? Why did Bob Hawke introduce a "sin tax" many decades ago where the price of a nice cold beer increases incrementally every six months? Why do the pollies think that privatisation relates to cheaper rates for punters? history has proven that the end result is not in favour of the punters. Australia had enough gas reserves to last a thousand years, what happened to that? australia also had enough oil to supply neighbouring nations for a century or two, please explain? We now buy our oil at the US rate when it goes up and the Singapore rate when it goes down. Thanks Canberra. Greenslips, privatise and become cheaper? Do i have a Harbour Bridge to sell you, i'll throw in the Opera House for nothing. It would be interesting to hear from you folks, i'm not made of tissue paper, be as brutal as you like. i encourage robust debate, respect, and learn from perspectives that i have not considered. I look forward to your opinions, cheers
Posted by BOXY, Thursday, 6 September 2018 9:48:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome BOXY, well we all have differing views but as to policy we will never be pleased with everything any government does the removal of leaders should be in the hands of voters, BUT what then of Trump? I carry for life contempt for some over the knifing of Rudd, and the last spill was about internal war about policy, in fact all past Liberal spills in the recent past have been about that.
Senate? you will find my views about that chook pen include one that minorities having power only via blackmailing majority government clearly support the view the chook pen is anti Democracy,
Posted by Belly, Friday, 7 September 2018 7:51:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Welcome Boxy.

//We (in Australia) get to vote for a leader of a party// Well, that's not true, we get to vote for a representative in parliament. Many don't even get that, their choice is often unsuccessful. The leader/Prime Minister's position, as is the government, is determined by the majority of representatives elected. Generally from the one party, or a coalition of parties.

// Question? after we have voted, do we have a say in how our country is run?// No not exactly, our say is at the ballot box. It's a personal choice, if you're not satisfied with the existing government then you vote for an alternative candidate. Sometimes successful, sometimes not. This question also ties in with the next question.

// Does the average Aussie get a chance to voice an opinion?// Yes, you can make personal representation to local members, ministers, even the Prime Minister. That's not to say you will get a favourable response, as there are many competing opinions on the same issue.

//Is Australia truly democratic?// Not withstanding the practical limitations I would have to answer, Yes.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 7 September 2018 8:07:32 AM
Boxy: We vote for the Leader of a Party.

No we don't. We vote for a Party. The Party chooses the Leader.

"As it is now, as it has ever been."

P1405: if you're not satisfied with the existing government then you vote for an alternative candidate.

& of late, we get, "Same, Same, but different."

P1405: Yes, you can make personal representation to local members, ministers, even the Prime Minister.

& they'll do exactly what the "Unelected Party Executive" tells them they have to do.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 7 September 2018 9:18:47 AM
How many times do people need to be reminded that Australians DO NOT vote for the Prime Minister! Like every other politician, he is elevated to that role by his peers in the party room. He can be removed/replaced only by his peers. The rest of us get no say in the leadership. This gabble about democracy falling apart when a PM is ousted is based on pure ignorance. All your questions should be directed to your elected representative, Boxy.

The only question that can be answered here is 'are we a democracy’. Some will say yes, some will say no. I say that we are a partial democracy, the only country closer to true democracy being Switzerland, where voters have access Citizen Initiated Referenda, which, if passed are binding on government.

Australians should forget all this hoo ha and hyperventilation about PMs being changed when they don't perform, and demand real democracy a la Switzerland.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 7 September 2018 10:19:08 AM
It's The Spectator Australian's tenth birthday, and the cover depicts all the scoundrels, no hopers and downright crooks who have stuffed up our Parliament and country over that period.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 7 September 2018 10:37:37 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy