The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > The media- surely it is a risk to report some news.

The media- surely it is a risk to report some news.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/inside-the-train-chaos-and-how-a-balloon-shut-parts-of-the-system-down/ar-BBM5f6p?ocid=spartandhp

Well, I've done it again, another link.

This time it's about a balloon causing chaos to the Sydney rail network.

Given this is such a simple way to disrupt the network, is it wise to report such for fear of copy cats.
Posted by rehctub, Sunday, 19 August 2018 8:30:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No Butch, we should not sanitize the news for fear of offending people, or causing distress, or even creating copy cats. News should be reported without fear or favor. Suppression is censorship and its what will lead to dictatorial rule. Its balloons today, its concentration camps tomorrow.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 20 August 2018 6:46:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I will settle for honesty in news and unfortunately that is not the intention of some of our media Read both sides of the Turnbull issue this morning for evidence to back that claim, the smell of burning flesh? ask me about 2pm tommorow
Posted by Belly, Monday, 20 August 2018 7:02:52 AM
///Well, I've done it again, another link.//

No, this is a link:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/inside-the-train-chaos-and-how-a-balloon-shut-parts-of-the-system-down/ar-BBM5f6p?ocid=spartandhp

See how it's a different colour to the rest of the text, and when you click on it it takes you to a different website? That's how you tell.

//This time it's about a balloon causing chaos to the Sydney rail network.//

More specifically, it's a about a balloon shorting out a circuit.

"It is my understanding [that on Friday] evening a metallic balloon found its way into a tunnel and caused an overhead electricity wire to short," Mr Constance said. "This led to a major incident in which Sydney Trains had to disembark passengers in a tunnel."

Any student of high school science (basic circuit theory is covered in the junior syllabus and is thus unavoidable) would be able to figure that one out for themselves. Overhead wires for trains have to be bare so they can conduct power to the pantographs, so all that is required to short them out is to bridge them with anything conductive. It usually happens with tree branches and only causes minor issues; the article was newsworthy because the poor handling of that incident combined with IT problems led to massive chaos within the rail network.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 20 August 2018 7:20:00 AM
Hi Belly, are you referring to moves by Murdoch to transfer his support away from Turnbull to that dud Dutton. Been widely reported in the Murdoch no news News very Ltd this morning that The Dud is gearing up to challenge Money Bags before Santa arrives.
Posted by Paul1405, Monday, 20 August 2018 7:20:41 AM
Paul 1405 my morning swim in the news avoids at all costs the Murdock propaganda factories, subscribe to one watch all 4 TV channels for news in the am,yes the 6 percentage points lost by this alleged government breathed new life back in to a past thread, the shrinking primary vote of the big two, my mob, seems at times alergic to mass appeal, took one point, greens and the Liberals pet pup Hanson shared the other 5 percent, after two party prefered it is 55 to 45? stunning stuff
Posted by Belly, Monday, 20 August 2018 2:01:26 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy